Black People : how much material do you need?, really

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jul 9, 2004.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    lately i have been selling off, giving away and trashing as much of my "stuff" as i can.
    i find friendship, community and art to be much more important to me now.

i wonder if we have been fooled into thinking that consumer goods will make us happy.
    we go after that fine car that we really don't need.
    I'd rather take a slow roll with some buddies.

i regret that i spent much of my early life running around buying up a bunch of stuff.
    after i died and came back (second heart attack) i find I'm no longer interested in the "stuff" anymore.

i hope i can persuade someone to back off all the shopping and buying and to get back to loving relationships. :grouphug:

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Hey james. I feel you on this one. In recent years (last 4 or 5) I really try not to buy alot of useless stuff. I have material things, but they are things that I need or things that give "me" pleasue. I love video games and music and swords, but as far as jewelry, expensive cars, big screen tv's and things like that...I can do without. I just think we as people have to be smarter with our money. I have to be smarter with my money too. I think alot of people let the television tell them what they "need". The latest this and that. I think we can live life better if we stop working just to keep up with the latest fads and trends. JMO :grin:

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    I too am a "low maintenance" person. I don't need a lot of things that don't add value to my life. I try very hard to not judge those people that are what I call "conspicuous consumers" because they are different than I am.

I admit that I struggle with this though when it comes to the way I view some of our ostentatious Black ministers. We can all differ in the things that bring pleasure to our lives and I guess the way I see it, it's not so much what you have as it is what you do with what you have.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with having "nice" things. But how many of us share what we have with others? How many people with big fancy cars drive by the homeless every day and don't even notice them? How many of us with 3,000+ sq. ft. homes, care about where homeless people are sleeping or who else may be struggling to pay rent or a house note? How many of have so much food that we just get all fat nasty and don't care about whether a family can feed itself and what they have to eat?

Living an austere life doesn't make you a generous person. Our true wealth lies within our hearts. A poor man can be just as wealthy as a rich man because of his/her generosity and how he treats others.

Queenie :spinstar:

4. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17

Swords? Like, samurai swords? Big knives?

5. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    But, other than that, I feel you, too. I have never been a very high maintenance person, and now, I really don't care. I have clothes, food, a home, a phone.. yada yada. I used to laugh at people as they looked at shows like "Cribs" or "How I'm Living" and salivated at all the useless stuff. Like, there is an episode with B2K, and one of them shows you this disgusting hemorrhage of stuff, and then tells you, "Oh, I don't have a refrigerator... I ran out of money" or something equally inane.

6. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    Ran out of money???? :laugh:

There are many people with backwards priorities though.

7. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

Yeah, I have a bunch of knifes, Samurai swords and axes and stuff like that. I've always though swords and blades were beautiful the way they are created and the way they look when finished. :nuts:It is funny to see people watching "Cribs". You can see their little mind saying "Oh, I wish I had a $10,000 mink bedspread". Some people get money and don't know what to do with it. People, if I ever get alot of money and buy a $10,000 bedspread....please shoot me and donate that money somewhere useful...because I obviously don't deserve it. All the problems we have as a people and these fools are putting $100,000 in their mouth. :nono: That's not HOT.