Black People : How Many Slaves Work 4 U?

How Many Slaves Do You Have Working For You?

You may be surprised. I found out I have about 56.
Take this survey and find out how many you have.

http://slaveryfootprint.org

ckoolbreez

Surveys make me leary ckoolbreez, can you simply share your results; and possibly break-down how you have 56 working for you?

Peace In,

I took the test for poops and giggles.

I have 72 'slaves'. What effected my score, per the results: Home, gadgets, clothing and medicine/toiletries.
Some of the questions, though.... Not sure they should be factored into my score. The test did it's best with 'specifics' but, ok...for instance, the 'how much jewelry do I own' thing.
I have real jewelry but don't lay that 'blood diamond' mess on ME.
I do have real jewelry, but they're heirlooms. The few pieces that aren't...were gifts. A very pretty watch, a bracelet and my engagement ring. Unless I'm attending some social event or whatever, I don't wear them.

Don't get me wrong: You gimme a diamond encrusted ring and I'll accept...with glee! *laugh*
But...a diamond is just a pretty rock. I've never been 'into' jewelry. My great aunt's pearl earrings and necklace, my maternal heirloom jewelry and, of course, my wedding ring are the only pieces of jewelry that I value.

Most of my jewelry is costume...because I lose pieces all the time. Actually.
I'm all about Claire's.
- I lost a belly ring. Don't ask me how. It just came unscrewed and fell out.
- I'm very hard on watches. I broke my work watch within 2 months. The face was cracked and the constant handwashing did it in.
- I lost (but later found) some pearl earrings. I didn't even realize.
- My husband bought me a tennis bracelet for my b-day last year. Well - somewhere between me taking it out of the box and putting it on my wrist, I almost dropped the thing over the rail into the water(it was a dinner cruise). I didn't do the clasp thingie right.
Trust me...my engagement ring was presented with GREAT care. *laugh*
Though, I did almost lose it at work when I took it off to wash my hands. I had a bazillion things in my head and was rushing to and fro...I didn't realize until 45 minutes had elapsed when I sat down to chart. A coworker, thank God (or some other deity), had taken it to lost 'n found. It's insured, but my husband would've been pissed...regardless. I know.

Anyway -

72 'slaves'.
This matter is a double-edged sword. Workplace standards should improve in these areas. Regulation needs to happen, but where would some of these people be without this work? Sweatshop or not, these people are able to support their families.

Am I contributing to the problem? Yeah, probably.
Do I feel any sort of way about it? Unless we're talking about sex workers...?
Negative, ghost rider.

But...fine, I'm complicit. Aren't we all? No, I'm not willing to decrease my standard of living. Neither are the other Americans who'll be pepper-spraying, duking it out and stampeding in a Walmart and Finishline near you for their Nike's, 40' flat screens and cheap, plastic 'made in China' crap this shopping season...I'm sure.
*laugh*

I don't see anyone protesting too loudly over NAFTA and look at all the sweatshops it's spawned along the border....
The influx of mexicans into the Great Country of Texas...*laugh*...is due, in part, to that policy. 'In part', I say...because it's actually not the fault of the US that the elites in Mexico would rather hoard wealth (they didn't earn) than improve infrastucture or the quality of life for their own citizens.

No matter. Everyone wants everything cheaper, faster and better. Everyone, in turn, whines about outsourcing and 'cheap labor' and blah, blah else.
Supply and demand...hello? Business is simply doing what it can to compete.
It's as if some people refuse to understand how business works. *laugh* If anyone really gave a crap about dirt farmers in Bangladesh, they'd be content to live with less... for 'the greater good'.

Probably not gonna happen.
I'll say that a fair amt of people at this time are having a hard time differentiating between 'wants' and 'needs'. I understand. I suppose that these 'techie' types will see things differently...and I figure they're allowed. My husband's a 'techie'. Loves gadgets...and it still makes no sense to me why he 'must have' an assortment of gadgets that all practically fulfill the same function.
How many times must the iPhone be reconceptualized and redistributed? Why do you really need a smartphone, e-reader AND an iPad? If you have a desktop and a laptop...do you really need an iPad?

A friend of mine's middleschool aged child was bugging her mom for an iphone (because some of her friends had one). She tried to draw me into the discussion.
I was, like, "You got some iPhone money? What do you need with an iPhone, anyway? You don't own a business. You don't even have a job..."

If they must? A regular phone will do. No kid needs an iPhone to butcher the english language with their strange texting or play around on FB or Myspace or whatever little social networking site is all the rage these days.
She should be glad that she was getting a regular old 'flip' phone. Had she been my daughter, she would've settled for a Trac phone....or $.50 for the payphone if she gave me any lip.

Last year, it was nails. She wanted acrylics...because all of her friends had them. She tried to pull me into the discussion...again. I said, "You got some acrylic nail-wearing money? Y'know - there are two types of people in this world who wear acrylic nails: Adults... and non-adults with jobs."
...because it's important that a child know where they stand on money issues...*laugh*

I remember the days when smartphones were only carried by busy professional or (small/corp) business types with staff to tend to, contacts to make and otherwise important things to do all day.

The great irony of it all? With the exception of an iphone, I don't even have these things but I can actually afford them...AND live comfortably.
What a concept.
So, anywho...*laugh*
At some of my PRN gigs? I work with people (aides and such) who earn way less than me but have all of this s--t?
... but they'll go on and on about not being able to afford health insurance....:rolleyes:
Priorities. I don't know how someone who earns a good $40,000 less than me, on foodstamps and living in subsidized housing is able to afford an iPhone + ipad?
Do they have lights and running water?

I bet they make up the difference from their side job of selling foodstamps. No joke. I'm not making this up. I call it, 'The Foodstamp Racket'.
*laugh*
It's a freakin' conspiracy....
There's one nurse aide at one of my gigs who rec'vs, like, $700 and $900 worth of foodstamps PER month. I suppose she gets them 'per child'...? She sells her benefits.

Aid needs to go to people who actually need it and the laws should ensure that no one is defrauding the system. But with some folks? It's just gimme, gimme, gimme.

They don't seem to contribute to anything BUT the population. They don't create. They don't build. They just consume, procreate and mooch...and run about acting like Obama has this bottomless pot o' gold in the Oval office.
Who, oh, who will they leech off if 'the middle' ever disappeared? *laugh* The top 5% and up are too resourceful and educated to be coerced into even paying their fair share....

I have a friend who buys foodstamp groceries. I told her as much. She told me to shut up and remove the stick, basically. *laugh*
...then there was the matter of the foodstamp police.
HER: "Foodst-- there is no foodstamp police, crazy a--s."
Apparently, she's right. I was behind her paying for my food separately. To shield her from other shoppers. I didn't want them judging her. To maintain a distance. I didn't want to be associated with that hot mess.
To take care of her car in case the food stamp police cuffed her and took her to jail.
*laugh*

But...nothing happened. She just waltzed up there and with NO shame? Fished the card out of her Marc Jacobs from between her credit cards - with a well-manicured hand and swiped that thing like a regular debit/credit card.
...and collected her groceries. No ID check. No signature required. No questions asked.
Too easy. How could it be that easy?

Either way, watching her unload her foodstamp groceries into the back of her 2011 black Ford Expedition...two things occured to me:
1. Why am I working? *laugh* Why work?! All this time spent paying my own way when someone else could've been doing it for me....
2. I got to thinking about an ex talking about the woman paying for groceries with foodstamps and loading them into her new SUV. Then, I got to thinking about the random posts on the internet. Y'know...someone will be complaining about welfare and this or that person will post about being behind some random person in the grocery line and 'noting the sort of car they drove' and their dress and appearance and ...wait a minu---!

Biggest. Sudden Clarity Clarence moment. Evaaaar!
th

*laugh*
(I'm into internet memes, now)

No, really.
I was, like, "*gasp* Oh. My. God. Could it be that many who seemingly appear too 'well-to-do' to qualify for social assistance? Actually... are....? "
*laugh*

Of course, you can't adequately judge a situation. I think it's probably 'rude' to assume thngs about people....BUT...this was occuring before the bubble burst and the economy took a hit. So...
I'm under the impression that many who do rec'v oodles in excess of foodstamps ARE, in fact, selling them. Selling them, obviously, to those with the means the buy. At one of my PRN gigs, a nurse, rad tech, resp therapist and a doc have bought.
Yeah, really.

Could it be that everyone's in on The Food Stamp Racket... but me?
I feel all 'brand new', confused...and disenchanted. About as disenchanted as I was the day that I discovered via sudden epiphany (while simultaneously forced through debate to admit) that Libertarianism on a grand scale only works in an ideal world...and I was doomed to forever choose between the two popular choices.
>>clutches pearls and shudders<<

Thanks for sharing, this account validates why I have no desire to take the test...

I took the test for poops and giggles.

I have 72 'slaves'. What effected my score, per the results: Home, gadgets, clothing and medicine/toiletries. Some of the questions, though.... Not sure they should be factored into my score. The test did it's best with 'specifics' but, ok...for instance, the 'how much jewelry do I own' thing.

Anyway -

72 'slaves'.
This matter is a double-edged sword. Workplace standards should improve in these areas. Regulation needs to happen, but where would some of these people be without this work? Sweatshop or not, these people are able to support their families.

Am I contributing to the problem? Yeah, probably.

But...fine, I'm complicit. Aren't we all?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back