Black Poetry : How many of yall have performed your poems live?

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by Nappygrl, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Nappygrl

Nappygrl Well-Known Member MEMBER

not something I love
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just taking an informal little survey. At a local nightspot here they have spoken word night on Sundays. I want to go and drop some of my rhymes but a sista has serious stage fright! :eek:

Does anybody here do the live spoken word thang?? If so, you got any tips for a nervous poet like myself?

2. blakverb

blakverb Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32
    Hey sis,

I have and the thing is you never really get rid of the butterflies. One way to combat that is to (and this is an old speaker trick) imagine everyone is in their underwear. sounds crazy but it works a little. Also, what you could do is close your eyes. It would appear that you are really into what you are reading (and I'm sure you are) and you wouldn't have to look at anyone. Or you could do it Miles Davis style and perform with your back to the audience.

blak
    verb

3. GYPSYMAN

GYPSYMAN Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Yo Gurl

I do the open mic thing alot and I agree wit Blakverb...you never really get rid of the initial butterflies..most stages I go on though the lights are real bright, and shine into your face ..I'll look into the lights untill I get rollin' ...or if there are no lights ..I find that "space" right above the crowds heads..and lose myself there..another thing that will minimize the butterflies is know your "flows" backwards and forward ..in your sleep and every other way, that usually will give you the confidence to overcome any stage fright...or start by performing at home in front of the mirror or in front of a few friends or family..either way "stagefright " is an obstacle that can be overcome...and free's your talent up for elevation to a whole other level...dont give up !!! ...and GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!

On A Continuous Journey
    GYPSYMAN

4. Nappygrl

not something I love
    Ratings:
    +0
    A'ight then yall, I'm a take your advice and give the open mic thing a whirl this Sunday. I'll be sure to let you know if I passed out from stage fright or not! :)

love&blessings,
    Nappy

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I KNOW U WILL DO WELL

THEY R RIGHT !!! I KNOW AS WELL
    GOODLUCK!:heart: :kiss:

6. Amun-Ra

Amun-Ra Well-Known Member MEMBER

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    I try to Avoid It!

I try to avoid it, but I seem to end up doing it quite a bit. Most of my stage performances are of my bawdy material while my readings are more esoteric.

Amun-Ra

Where do you stand on abortion? Check out Amun-Ra's new column "Abortion--Both Sides Now" and state your opinion on this controversial subject at:

http://www.destee.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2878

7. N2urSoul

N2urSoul Well-Known Member MEMBER

Director, Community Employment Strategies
    Ratings:
    +1
    NPG

You Go Gurl! I envy you ... I am so figgidy-frightened myself... I want to recite .... I want to, but I have been so afraid!

The strangest thing though -- it's so ironic, I don't have a problem with "public speaking" or "group facilitation" when I am doing my job (at work) and I am always speaking on various topics relating to Welfare-to-Work issues & Employment & Training opportunities for the disenfranchised and hard-to-employ...

So, I know I have no problem with speaking on those topics, and maybe I feel like people will criticize me about my poetry ... I don't want to be subjected to public ridicule or humility, so I am afraid to read the things that are most dear to me ... my poems...??

However, maybe one day I will do this **** gurl, but for now ... Do your thang & let us know how it went when you do ...

One.

8. alyce

alyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Counselor
    Ratings:
    +85
    Sis,

I have had the pleasure on a few occasions. It's a whole notha thang! Loveded it!

a

9. dnommo

dnommo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher of English, Literature & Poetry
    Ratings:
    +15
    i am a founder of an open mic night here and i have performed my pieces quite often. the key to performance is to understand that you are in the midst of your peers. some whom you may feel have better scribes than you. the reality is that we all write from different angles and some write deeper than others but that does not necessarily mean they are beter. the joy of open mic is not the applause or finger snaps but the anticipation of the audience when you step up again.

you will never know their response if you don't speak the words...

speak the words and the poem shall lead you...

tips:

be the scribe that you read. if it is a personal, traumatic event, let the audience see it.

never read monotone unless the piece dictates it.

try not to be so animated that it zaps the strength of the scribe.

try not to emulate the more seasoned poets for their craft has been years coming. some can get up and be a natural at it but you must fidn your own way to speak the piece.

don't read a happy scribe in a sad tone. doing the opposite brings more attention to your presentation than to your scribe.

some say sell your piece through your performance. i say perform your piece.

hope these help...

10. Nappygrl

not something I love
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks er'body for all the suggestions!

It's funny, I really really want to perform some of my poems live, just to see how much energy I could get from an audience, but I'm soooooo afraid they wouldn't feel my schitt. That's one of the reasons I posted them here; so that I could get feedback from some actual poets but not be on stage with a light and hella eyes staring at me, know what I'm sayin?

But my fellow scribers and vibers, I have to tell yall, all your comments have given me alot of confidence! Besides, I figure yall would tell me if my schitt was whack anyway right?

peaceloveblessingshappinessflowersbutterflies&rainbows,
    Nappygrl