Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : How many Natural Hair Gals on this site?

poetonthedl

REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 5, 2003
I'm a new jack to this site. I've been looking through some of the posts and I'm wondering how many sistahs here are natural. I've been wearing a teeny weeny afro for a month. I must say I'm loving it. Its funny all the ignorant comments I get but the freedom I feel makes it all worth it. I really wish I'd done it sooner....

How long have you been natural?
How are you currently wearing your hair ?
and any other info you might want to add about your nappy journey.

I think I have been suffering with my hair all my life! My mom stopped doing my hair when I was in 4th grade and I've tried many things (I had a Gerri Curl long after most people had stooped. It kept my hair growing and the flakes away.) Finally I decided that the chemical burns aren't worth the trouble and there is something about loving myself (and my hair) that I wanted to show the world. I’ve been wearing braids and twists for some 6 years now. Sometimes I press it and blow it out but I don’t like the heat damage. My husband got me Copa some 3 years ago and while my hair look the same as before (after about 10 applications) it is softer and easier to work with. After working for a huge corporation for 16 years, I got laid off this past Thursday. I now have the time and freedom to think about what I want to do with my hair. My husband loves the Afro (I think he is have ‘70s flashbacks) He also loves it long so…. I think I’m going to start wearing twists full time and see what it will take to lock it. I really look cute with short hair and it’s easy to manage but I had short hair in high school and was teased a lot. I have a round face and think I look better with hair framing my face. I go to church and everyone seems to have her hair relaxed. What’s a girl to do? Everything seems to be happening at once: turn 40 (last week), lose job (this week). Some moments I feel like taking a straight razor and doing the bald thing. (That’s the nice thing about hair; you can always grow it back) I know that is the panic talking so I won’t do anything permanent for at least 2 months. I might just have it professionally braided so I don’t have to deal with it and it will still look good. I have the time now.

I'm middle-aged and have been wearing my hair natural for 15 years. I used to hot comb my hair for years because that's how I was raised. I had my hair permed once when I let a friend talk me into it and I hated it. But I decided one day to stop straightening my hair altogether and wear it natural and I love it.

I'm not a high maintenance person and never have fussed much with my looks. I'm not "glamorous" by any sense of the word. Ever so often I will either wear my hair short or let it grow longer--depending on my mood. I have to say that the men I've known have always liked my hair longer than short. Do most Black men like "long locks"? But I prefer it cropped.

Any hair maintenance regimen should consider the quality of the water in your area. Hard water can be very damaging to any hair type. My water is relatively soft so I simply wash with a mild shampoo, clear tangles with my fingers or gently with a wide-toothed comb, never brush, allow to air dry, apply a leave-in conditioner for curly hair and apply a non-alcohol, water base gel to control frizzies. I should probably get my ends trimmed more often but I don't. My hair has a natural S-curl texture that relaxes with low humidity and has more bounce and body in high humidity.

That's my "natural" hair story. :)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back