Black People : How Many Mobile Apps Are Produced By African Americans?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by asmith161718, Jan 29, 2012.

1. asmith161718

asmith161718 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +158
    I was just watching the pro-bowl and one commercial segment that said the iphone had over a half-million apps. I thought that was mind-blowing and wondered how many Black people created apps. So I did a internet search and found someone asking the same question...

http://madamenoire.com/71283/how-many-mobile-apps-are-produced-by-african-americans/

There are over 425,000 mobile apps available on Apple’s App Store for the iPhone. The Android Marketplace now has well over 30,000 apps for their devices. According to the website TechCrunch, there has been more than 1 Billion downloads from the App Store as of April 2009. Here is a question? How many of these apps are produced by African Americans?
    I would venture to guess we are producing very little. Mobile phones are the most ubiquitous way people communicate and interact with information. With more than 5 billions users communicating and interacting on these devices, the lack of African Americans producing mobile apps has to change.
    Further, suppose you want to support Black-owned mobile businesses? How would you go about doing that? We need more African Americans creating products in the mobile space, but in order for that to happen we must support those who are doing just that. How do we find them? I am happy to report things are changing.
    In the August issue of Black Enterprise, there is a feature about African Americans who are shaking things up in Silicon Valley called Rule Breakers, Risk Takers: The New Faces of Silicon Valley. This is a very inspiring read and I highly recommend the article. Also, not only is there now an online market for applications for the undiscovered and undeveloped, Inky-Apps, but brothers and sisters are also fully engaged in developing applications for the mobile platform.

2. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    This blog features creative accomplishments of people on the continent:

http://www.afri-love.com/

One post in particular to look at is:

http://www.afri-love.com/2011/06/5-reasons-why-ghana-will-be-the-next-african-app-powerhouse.html

The newer post is:

http://www.afri-love.com/2011/11/interview-with-developer-author-entrepreneur-andrew-mugoya.html

From giving a once-over, I saw:

http://www.afriapps.com/

--

One thing with African-Americans is that we continually ignore Africans and focus on "African-Americans" when the latter has a brand of slavery unlike the world has ever known.

--

Personally, however, I don't care for apps. I don't have a phone.

HTP

3. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    [sarcasm] maybe we need race color-codes for applications.. [/end sarcasm]

4. asmith161718

Ratings:
    +158
    I'm not really into apps, twitter or facebook like most people today either but with a half million apps on iphone alone it looks like I'm missing out on a great opportunity. And that celly app mention in the article I posted seems like a good thing to have if you operate a small niche business like a mobile food cart.

5. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Nobody really collects this kind of data, so nobody knows for sure (at least as far as the three major app stores are concerned).

6. blackisbeautiful

blackisbeautiful Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +77
    Wow, apps are really getting popular. This is a good opportunity for independent developers to take advantage of the market. Can't help you with the stats, but I do know that SlickBeast (one of the members) was talking about creating an app.

7. asmith161718

Ratings:
    +158
    Wow. Looks like it's very easy to create an app. The only thing you need to do is hire a code writer.

• Review the applications that are available in the iTunes App Store and the Blackberry App World store. Research the kind of feedback apps have gotten and where a new app might be needed.
        Conceptualize your application. Most app users place a high value on intuitive designs, portability, and versatility. An app that takes advantage of those aspects of cell phone culture is likely to succeed.
        Design the code for your cell phone application. Code-writing can take years to learn, so all app developers should consider hiring a technician to write the code. Depending on the phone, you will need to learn a specific programming language. Apple uses Cocoa programming, Blackberry uses Java, and other cell phones use other apps.
        Give your application a test drive, by uploading it to a cell phone. Have multiple people of different technological capabilities test the program. Debug your cell phone application, if problems occur.
        Upload the cell phone application to app stores, such as Blackberry App World and iTunes Apple Store. Each app store will have a different process for submitting your app. (Below, in Resources, the link to the Blackberry Developer Zone and the Apple Developer Connection will give you some information on that process for each device.)
        Monitor the reception that you app gets. Request that message boards and discussion threads (on cell phone review web sties) review your app. Develop and release a new edition if you think the app design needs to be updated.

Read more: How to Make Cell Phone Applications | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5966633_make-cell-phone-applications.html#ixzz1l4J2mvVY

8. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Cocoa is an API, not a language. Objective-C is typically what most apps are written in for iOS. For most practical purposes, it can be thought of as a version of C with object oriented paradigms implemented in a way that doesn't suck as much as C++ does.

It's definitely not as easy as this article makes it out to be, but it's definitely do-able.

9. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Internet hustle.

We remove ourselves from each other and hide behind little screens.

10. asmith161718

Ratings:
    +158
    Thanks for the info.

I looked on youtube and there's a bunch of how to videos on apps. What's your opinion on those? Have you ever tried to create an app?