Black Relationships : How many men can you go to for relationship advice?

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by Asomfwaa, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I grew up with my mother, so I asked dudes on the street about relationship advice. But not everyone does that.

My Brother, for instance, growing up with my father, asked my father and my uncle for relationship advice. Those were the only two men on my father's mother's side of the family.

I ask because a lot of us think that an absent father means no male counseling, but back on the continent this wasn't the case, for there were brotherhoods.

But I want to know whether some of us grew up under brotherhoods. I know that I did not.

2. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    I had male counselers growing up. All of them werent family. Many of them werent in fact. It is imperative that mothers find guys like this for their children to go to

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680

There is no equitable replacement for one's own Father, though many make do with what they have.

Handing one's child over to another, to raise and teach, is risky business ... a two edged sword to say the least.

It might work and it might not. It could cost your child much more than they've already lost (by not having their Father).

People today ... you just can't trust 'em with your babies ... one has to be very very careful in the choosing.

Unfortunately ... it's oftentimes the ones you trust ... that will molest, violate, and ruin your child's entire life.

I think safer is better ... though if the child has an Uncle, Cousin, some blood relative ... they might be safe.

Brother ABSiblings ... even without the brotherhood, or your Father ... you're a WONDERFUL MAN !!! ... :love:

You certainly possess the ability to be that "brotherhood" to other young men coming up!

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

My Dad was the oldest of 12 so I have had plenty of Uncles to go to for advice.

5. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I think often, that a brotherhood is some thing we lack in our communities. I had no males to advice me on any thing. My 6th grade teacher showed an interest in mentoring. but that was only for school work. I saw my uncles two summers while growing up. They would tell me what it was to be a man. What responcibilies a man had to women. They were very old school (African) in their ways. My dad, was not very good at communication. So I developed my own sense of what was right, from what my mother had told me in my younger days.

6. Da Flash

Da Flash going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    professional internet surfer
    Ratings:
    +405
    This is something that I think about from time to time. I was raised by my mother and occasionally spent summers with my grandmother or aunt, I knew my father but rarely saw him! I think that I got my examples of what a man was from my older brothers, even though they aren't that much older than myself and went through most if not all the traps that young Black men get caught up in. I also got schooled by some men who coached me in sports and a teamates uncle who showed me how to work on cars.

As a man now I try to teach the young men with whom I interact the lesson that I either didn't hear or didn't listen to as a boy!!

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    real men don't need no stinkin relationship advice…..:slobber: