Black People : How Latinos REALLY Feel About Blacks ?

Destee said:
Brother O ... you say this as though i said coalition building is not a good thing, as though i am now changing my position? I don't remember your thread or my comments, but knowing me, i'm confident that what i said then is not much different than what i'm saying now. Since you've brought it up, suggesting that my position has changed, what exactly did i say before?

I clearly stated I dont remember you saying "its a good thing". I didnt say that your position changed because clearly it hasn't.

Brother O ... i don't expect, nor am i complaining about the fact that Latinos don't support Black People. At this point, i don't care if they, or any, ever do or not. They are really not my concern. While they are listed in the title of this thread, it was merely to bring attention to another situation where we do give our support of these people, even look upon them kindly, and they do us poorly. It was my hope to encourage us to quit looking for others to join in with us, and begin to build our own foundation of support for each other. I even said that once we do this, we won't have to worry about the support of others, for they will be begging to join on with us.
:heart:

Destee

I can respect your opinion on this but I doubt if anyone one "will be begging to join on with us".

Why should they? What do we have to offer anyone when we are so divided among itself?

By the way, I dont feel like digging through over 30 pages of posts looking for the thread on "Coalition Building".

Going back to the one on "Strategies bor Black Revolution" is more than enough for me.

Let's just face it sister Destee. Some of us just see things differently because of our experiences and where we come from.

Growing up in Los Angeles is quite different than growing up in the Deep South. So our perceptions on some things are different. And thats just the way its gonna be.

I grew up in a situation where Black and Brown Unity was a reality. From the Panthers to La Raza to Mechistas to the Young Lords to the Brown Berets to the Black Student Union.

I grew up with 18th Street Chicanos and Chicanas and never had a problem. I said this before. But in them days they wasn't trying to bang on nobody in Black n' Blue.

I got family in and near Bakersfield, Delano, Wasco, Stockton, all through Central California and the onely ones had any problem is some uncles in prison that tried to rip em off for drugs. Outside of that it's all good.

I know some brothers back in the day who used to beat down mexicans for no good reason then would try to get with their sisters. So, the way I see it, some of this treatment we gettin from some of them got a lot to do with how we related to them in the past.

On the other hand, I know brothers such as Omar Bradley who got some mexican votes to get in the mayor's office in Compton. Same with Maxine Waters and Dianne Watson.

Just like Antonio Villaraigosa got some black folks working on his campaign that got him elected mayor in LA.

Karen Bass, Anthony Thigpen.

Here it is 2008 and you talking about building a foundation. Some folks been organizing for years and already got a foundation. Some of us are just not a part of it or are outside of the process.

You know what....yes, some of them do.

mazimtaim said:
Goodness, sometimes I feel like we are in court or something. I wonder if Latinos talk like this to each other.

"You Latinos keep blamin' "Black" folk!!!!"

Everybody blames us. . .but we are the only ones being the "victims"????

Makes ya wanna holla!!!

The difference is they dont air it out in public.

For example, I know Mechistas, hard core chicanos that dont identify with either term "latino" or "hispanic". Not even "mexicano".

And they dont see themselves as "victims".

That's the essential difference.

Natinr said:
In all honesty, and to be quite frank I have never seen grass rootsfolks trying to cozy up to latinos.
In the hoodthere is always the sister who has a Latino husband or a brother with a Latino wife,
but in the terms you describe,
from my small vantange point I have not seen that.

What I will say ion New York it is the other way around, if they sense you are a sincere and descent person, Dominicans consider you a friend if you have seen them more then twice and are overtly hospitable.
Puerto Ricans will as I have experienced in school and in working class environments align with us against whites, rather then us seeking them out for support, at least that is the experiences I have had in New York.

Now as far as US getting together
well you have read my posts and you know that has been the purpose of my being here,
and you have seen the posts and responses here long before I came on the scene and those on other Black discussion boards as well, I just throw up my hands, and say if folks want to,
great,
and if we don't,
I can't get mad at us,
just deal with the storm to come,
and face our doom with dignity

Brother Natinr ... my personal experience with Latinos is very limited. I don't even really know what a Latino is, exactly. It's kinda weird to me, that they'd even be referred to as Latinos, when they didn't come from "Latin." Most people are associated to a land, and that's not the case with them it seems. I'm not sure how one qualifies for the designation, Latino. So i'm probably way off base, to even be starting a thread like this, as i'm really just going by what others say (the articles i noted in my original post, the media, etc.).

Most of my experience regarding how we feel about them has come from the discussions in this community. For the most part, it seems that we've fought each other, in order to embrace them. The arguments (if memory serves me properly) has been that we have been adamant about counting them as allies, and rejecting any negative discussion surrounding them. There was a thread specifically that i posted, where it was being reported that they were selectively killing Black People in California, and folk fought against what the news was reporting. I didn't know enough about them to argue in their defense, against the article, but i took note of the passion shared within. There's been a few threads here over the years, just like this. It was this i was really speaking to, in my original post.

I don't even really know any Latinos personally. I don't even really see them down here in Alabama. Maybe i'm seeing them, but just don't recognize them. I don't know. I guess you can tell i don't get out much! :)

The one Puerto Rican (Boricua) that i know, Brother Puerto Rocco, a Member here who i miss and always enjoy, is great! The only person i've ever called Papi! When he has been with us, he's shared lots of love, information, etc., helping to bridge the gap. So i can't say anything bad about Puerto Ricans, based on my own experience with them. Even still, as wonderful as Brother Puerto Rocco has been, i still say we must unite first, before we can be a real to help to others or ourselves.

So basically, my opinion has been formed based on the discussions found here, and what i hear in the media. I appreciate you sharing your experience, as it only broadens my own. Thank You.

Here are a few threads (with hundreds of posts) surrounding Latinos we've had over the years, and i'm sure more could be found:

Latino or Afro-Latino?

Are Latinos / Hispanics "African" too?

Not Hispanic, Not Latino - great thread, speaking to the term Latino specifically - i think i'm just reading it for the first time! :eeek:

Yes Brother, i have read some of your threads / posts, and it's a pleasure to have you with us. Each Member that comes here, wanting our people to unite and encouraging us in that way, is such an encouragement to me. Like you, i don't know what we'll do if it doesn't happen. It will be even more devastating than all we've faced thus far. I can't bring myself to believing it won't happen, in spite of the evidence before us.

Thank you again for sharing here with us.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

mazimtaim said:
Goodness, sometimes I feel like we are in court or something. I wonder if Latinos talk like this to each other.

"You Latinos keep blamin' "Black" folk!!!!"

Everybody blames us. . .but we are the only ones being the "victims"????

Makes ya wanna holla!!!

I feel you ... :love:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back