Black People : How Important is Our Coming Together Peacefully & Respectfully?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Jan 24, 2006.

?

How Important is Our Coming Together Peacefully & Respectfully ?

1. Not Important

2.7%
  2. Kinda Important

10.8%
  3. Very Important

86.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Family,

How important is our coming together peacefully and respectfully?

As it relates to our uniting and overcoming white supremacy.

Please vote in the poll above, and leave your comments below.

Thanks a Bunch !

:heart:

Destee

2. ibrahim

ibrahim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122
    IT'S ALL ABOUT UNITY AND LOVE FOR EACH OTHER.
    THAT MAKES IS VERY IMPORTANT

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    It is immeasurable important to build unity with those who have similar and compatible goals. However some goals and agendas are polar opposites, which realistically needs to be recognized and identified. Obviously if one's goal is to build a self-sufficient black community: Where black people are able to met all of their basic needs (housing, food, employment, education, clothing, etc), while another's goal is to further integrate the black and white community; those are not goals that blend together very well. Indeed some black folk are not seeking to overcome white supremacy, but add to it. For those who don't want to go that route, what will "unity" with them realistically achieve other than confusion and non-action?

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    dem integrationists sure do make you crazy, don't they? can't you give it a rest for only a moment? during all the time that i was integrationist i was never the demon that you seem to abhor. how are we going to work together when you keep reading people out of the group?

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Ahhh...brother James. Integrationalist thought and action goes beyond what happens in the bedroom. The point of what I said is that some objectives are polar opposites. If one person feels the future of the black race worldwide is self-sufficiency and self determination, while another feels it is globalization and integration with the white community; those objectives don't mesh well together. As a result those individuals can "unite" if they wish, but realistically they won't accomplish that much together.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i think you are wrong. for starters i'm not talking about no bedroom. i am saying that intregrationists accomplished a lot. we got the civil rights act passed in 1964 for example. even in your world of black segregated community there will be a need for someone to interface with other groups don't you think? there are integrationists who work hard for the community. i was one of them. i do not think it is productive for you to continually apply tests to people and exclude them. that seems to be the first thing that you say, who can we exclude. i don't think it's productive.

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    You can think I'm wrong, that is perfectly within your right. If we are talking about "unity" in terms of getting along with each other, that's fine. I can have a "decent" conversation with many people, and share ideas with them. In fact I like talking to people who are my polar opposites just to see where their heads are at. Sometimes I don't say a word, just sit still with a smirk, and they usually leave thinking I agreed with them (at least didn't object to their message). However working with people is an entirely different kettle of fish. Effective work requires people coming together with similar goals and objectives in order to be successful. The black self-determination vs. integrationalist analogy was just one example. How effective do you think a pro-lifer and a pro-choicer will be working together on family planning legislation? Again some goals and objectives are polar opposites, and it is unrealistic to expect people who are polar opposites to come together for a "common good". This is unrealistic because if two people or groups are polar opposites, what is considered "common good" will differ between them. I'm sure you disagree with me, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if I give the only dissenting opinion in this thread. However what you feel is exclusion, I think is basic reality.

8. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    We can't unite, we're too busy fighting each other!:shutup:

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I think an interesting follow up question should be: Is is possible to acknowledge a group's differences, and respectfully agree to go seperate ways?

10. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    I think that ALL people in the world are dependent on each other which means we are “interdependent.” None of us can isolate and survive. All of the major groups in the world: Blacks, whites, and Asians are all dependent on each other.

Also, I don’t understand why there has to be only ONE way of thinking among Blacks.
    I can disagree with others and still work with them for our common interests. I don’t care whether I think they’re wrong and I’m right or vice versa. All I care about is the END RESULT and whether that will help me or our people. So, I can compromise.

One of the major issues with us, IMO, is that some of us are too arrogant. Arrogance is a luxury we cannot afford!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.