Black People : how important is body size & exercise 2 u?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Alkebulan, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    how important is body size/exercise?

this is a touchy subject 4 a lot of people, but it is not my intention 2 offend anyone, i m just curious. americans tend 2 increase n size/girth progrssively as they age above the mid 20 s & beyond. the increased size can accru so gradually it may not b especially noticeable or objectionable. even thou i ve known about that trend b4 i was still struck while re-watching the outstanding series on pbs, "eyes on the prize" by the tremendous differences n appearance between people that had been captured on film or stills b/c of their involvement n the civil rights movement & subsequently interviewed on film 4 the program.

r americans overly concerned about their bodies or not concerned enuf?

r u personally involved n some aspect of body maintenance thru exercise/diet/planned activity participation? (tell us what u do please)

to the extent that physical appearance is involved n ur mate/date selection what body shape/size is ur favorite & why?

would u ever refuse 2 b involved w some1 b/c they did not take sufficient care of their body? & f so, y?

2. redlady

redlady Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    doc,

I will try to answer your questions from my point of view. I don't know about all Americans, but I know that I am concerned about my body and my appearance. Nothing makes me more miserable than to watch my weight creep up.

I personally run 3 miles 5x a week and lift weights 2x a week. This only allows me to stay toned and eat pretty much what I still want. When my weight starts to creep up regardless, I start to eat a lot of grilled chicken and salads...that takes the weight off quickly.

As far as a mate, date selection, I think that a person is attracted to another person by the eye at first, and then they get to know the person through the mental. I like a man that is in shape, although he doesn't have to be a power lifter to get my attention. As far as shape and size, I am a tall woman, 6'0 and I weigh close to 179lbs. I would like a man my height and/or taller and who weighs at least 220 - 230lbs. That's what my husband is and it suits me just fine.

As far as not being involved with someone because they didn't take care of their bodies. I can honestly say yes, but not because I am shallow. How you treat your body now effects how you will age, how long you will live in the future. Exercise is a lifestyle, not something to be done just because you gained too much weight at the moment. When I see obese children in school, it is a total turnoff to me. I can honestly say that I don't want my sons playing with the little fat boy from school. I know that is a form of racism, but the parents should get that child involved in sports PRONTO! There is no excuse for such laziness and obesity to run rampant through children ages 6,7 and 8 years old, which is setting up a lifestyle of obesity and weight problems. This is just my take on the matter...don't know if it's of any help.

Thanks.

3. Alkebulan

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    hi red

thank u 4 ur thoughtful response :)

i certainly don t know about all amerikkkans either, heck, i don t even know about most of the folk n my neighborhood :D i m actually trying 2 get my weight 2 go up, albeit slowly, but i m more concerned about my fat levels. (they keep hving such darn good sales on ice cream around here!)

3 miles, 5x a wk, + weights? WOW, i think thats super. i m sure u r much fitter than i am & i m happy 2 hear it. i applaud ur honesty about height & weight, & ur openness. i m 6'0" & currently 203, but trying 2 gain b/t 10 & 15 lbs over the next 9 months, b4 my trip overseas (where i m certain 2 lose both weight & size)

i m n total agreement w u about not being involved w folk that don t care 2 at least attempt 2 stay n shape, provided they hv the ability & opportuinity 2 do so. i m continually accused of being shallow, biased, 2 picky, etc. i also agree w u that xercise is, or shld b, part of a lifestyle, a continuing life long endeavor, thou the specifics can change. i cannot lift nearly the poundage i could 15 yrs ago, but i can still stay n shape w weights. i do bodybuilding type exercises 4x a wk, & stationary bike 2 - 3 x/wk. males lose approximately 1% of lean muscle per year past the age of 26, so, i m concerned about the fat creeping up on me.

i applaud ur program & yes, ur post was a big help. thanks again.:)

4. alyce

alyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Counselor
    Ratings:
    +85
    good topic, doctor parker

as a woman in her "middle earlies" :)) ), and inherited big hipp-tedness, I knew about 17 years ago that I would have to do as redlady has so accurately described: incorporate exercise into my way of life...not use it as damage control. In my 20s I ran 3 miles 3 days a week, bicycled on the weekends, and entered a few 5 and 10k runs. My dream was to do one marathon in my life. It's still my dream. :) Because of these earlier habits, when my spread set in when my life became more sedentary after the third and last baby about 11 years ago, neither my physique nor my tone betrayed my actual numbers on the scale. However, I knew I had to get into an exercise regimen that was going to be realistic. I also knew I'd have to make sacrifices even in keeping everything in the realm of do-ability.

I have to give props to the men in my life, beginning with my father, who was an athlete in college and still enjoys a healthy life due to his exercise program which he follows religiously. And because of this, I do expect a man to keep himself together...for his own well being, longevity, and for me. :) I'm looking out for him as well. :wink: I believe in practicing what I preach, the best way to lead as an example to my daughters and son. While I do not teach my children to be neurotic about weight (don't want any bolemia or anorexia going on), I do teach them to be conscious of their diet in proportion to their physical activities. And by engaging in them together as a family, it's also fun. We only get one life, and one body to do all we need to do this thing.

Exercising regularly, doing aerobics, walking, or any comfortable combination, gives us so much energy to accomplish our other goals, helps our heart rate, lowers the blood pressure... enhances our outlook, and that side benefit (so important to me) of allowing us to treat ourselves to that sweet delicacy every once in a while. I never feel like I must deny myself. But I do recognize when I've let too many days pass without my stretches and my walks. I've recently taken up Tae Kwon Do and it has done so much for my strength, and my peace of mind. I go to the Dojo 3 times a week for an hour and it has been nothing but good for me...

Thank you for this topic.

alyce

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    very well said alyce .....

6. Alkebulan

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    i apologize alyce

i somehow overlooked ur outstanding post. i m sorry 4 the delay n responding.

i m always encouraged 2 find out some1 else has found 'hidden' benefits 2 maintaining a regular routine of exercise :toast: . i applaud u 4 sticking it out & keeping those 'hips' n shape, thats impressive. i do admit i sometimes hv a problem u don t seem 2 hv much, motivation. i usu get mine done n the early morning b/c f i don t, something else either comes along, or i manage 2 use it as an excuse 4 not working out. my current streak is the longest i ve gone w only missing 2 workouts n 2 months, but w the cooler temps on the way, i wonder how long it will last.

thank u 4 ur input on this thread & i hope u can keep it up, always.

7. BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE

BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Nefertum Husia Shayheh MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    Weight puts extra pressure on my body all together. I actually tried gaining weight due to the ever fast metabolism and i could never gain the fat portion, though in muscle i could gain probably five pound a week with no problem. All kinds of weight puts stress on my joints and changes the sizing of my clothing. I like to wear the same size clothing since high school in the waist and all around. So I keep in shape by eating fruits and veggies cutting the meats down and all. I like my young active physique to go along with my overall youthful personality. It's just wisdom at an early age and teaches discipline from miles away plus draws attraction to eyes as you become a real model and not role model. Nothing narcissistic about it but my body is the temple too. On the other hand, I love art and my expression just as the temple walls across the globe and great architecture so in turn or in the same light, I art my body for numerous of reason but the main two is to feel less pain becoming more fearless though already at a level where i fear nothing and no pain, it just helps the process further. Two for spiritual reasoning as a self-expressionist. Exercise is great for me cause i get to feel and fill air into my lungs to include the muscles. I get to feel the shock absorption on my cushions. It's a dare thing or activity to go farther than you gone before. I use to run ten to thirty miles for fun or just to take it to another limit. I keep pushing and pushing and pushing knowing truly within their is no limits like bruce lee! Right now I'm back into practicing my stick-man martial arts. I take the stick out the rake and just go to work geometrically all around concentrating and using my brain and nervous system...like feeling the forces all around me. I really would like to challenge any black female to one year of one on one boxing, track, basketball, soccer, bowling, chess, tennis, surfing, skating, volleyball, hopscotch, double dutch, single jump roping, pull-ups, bow and arrow, sniping, stick-man and swimming!! Sex was on the menu but kill that as it gets personal. Life requires exercise...oh don't forget writing too as writing and chess are a mental exercise...shoot even languages but developing your own. I hate spending money on new clothing knowing if i stay the same size forever then I'm wealthier and therefore wiser than my last times. So how important is body size and exercise to you???

(Diary of a Black Man: Just An Illusion) Copyright 2014