Black Relationships : How Important is Black Love

Let me put MY feelings on the subject this way: I like individuals. I am kind to individuals. I love my people. The reason is simple (plus my "advice" to all, especially those who claim to love "everyone"):

Kindness is a virtue; be indiscriminate with your virtues. Pass them around freely and the world will be a better place for it.

Love is an emotion; be discriminate with your emotions. Indiscriminate emotions are cheap, a sign of mental illness, and indiscriminate love is worthless.

A "love" that loves everyone is no love at all.

I can't say I agree with that. No, my sister, a love that loves everyone is mirroring the love of God.

What has George Zimmerman done for you lately?

Nothing, but that's the beauty of love. One doesn't have to do anything to receive it. In my faith we are told to love all, including our enemies and people who intend us harm. We're told to pray for them. There's no limit on how or who we can love. I've read about people who have forgiven and ministered to people in prison who have hurt--or even murdered--a member of their family. Remember that Amish community in which the survivors shared the money they received with the widow of the man who had murdered their children. Wow! Now that is love.

The first part of your last sentence is in direct contradiction to the last part. God can love all "and no one can do that?"

Forgive me if I wasn't clear. I meant to express that no one can love the way God does--but we are commissioned to try.

KM

:thinking: Perhaps you missed this one:

Let me put MY feelings on the subject this way: I like individuals. I am kind to individuals. I love my people. The reason is simple (plus my "advice" to all, especially those who claim to love "everyone"):

Kindness is a virtue; be indiscriminate with your virtues. Pass them around freely and the world will be a better place for it.

Love is an emotion; be discriminate with your emotions. Indiscriminate emotions are cheap, a sign of mental illness, and indiscriminate love is worthless.

But your statement raises the issue of who are "my people"? Those who look like me? (Then what about those who don't--and how much do they have to look like me to be considered "my people?") Those who are a part of your family? (Then what about those who join your family by marriage or adoption?) Those who sit next to you at church? (According to God, aren't they all equally your siblings?)

I agree.

I don't completely disagree with this the way it's worded, however, an indiscriminate love for all humankind is hardly worthless. In fact, it's quite valuable because it mirrors the love of God.

KM

But your statement raises the issue of who are "my people"?
Let's nip this in the bud. MY people=black people.

I don't completely disagree with this the way it's worded, however, an indiscriminate love for all humankind is hardly worthless.
So you love George Zimmerman. And no doubt, you love every slaver that ever lived, every rapist of every one of your black-skinned ancestors who cried out in pain and beseeched God in heaven to spare her, that resulted in the brown African-American you are today.

It's like I said - indiscriminate love is a sign of mental illness. :news:

In fact, it's quite valuable because it mirrors the love of God.

KM

But you're not God.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back