Black Relationships : How important is age?

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by nikknikk19, Mar 24, 2011.

1. nikknikk19

nikknikk19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

BSN Student
    Ratings:
    +40
    How important is age when it comes to relationships? Should a 38 yr.old brotha see a 22 yr.old as jail bait or vice versa?

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I think the only thing that is important in a relationship is compatability, provided that each inidividual in a relationship is a consenting adult.

3. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    It's about your mind set...

Now 22 and 38 is a big difference when it comes to mentality.

I don't knock anyone who wants to be with a younger person so long as that person is of age.

But I do question a man who wants to be with a 22 year old who is 38...That's a 16 year difference..That dude was learning to drive when you too your first breath of air.

...IMO, he's probably a tad bit immature...Cause 22 don't know what they fully want they still need time to grow in adulthood a little bit and enjoy being young...

IMO, Men who are in their 30's should be in their prime game. They should be at that level of finally coming into their own financially, mentally, whatever...if that's what you're seeking.

When I was 22/23, which wasn't too long ago (6 yrs), I tried dating a guy who was older, around that age, but we were in two different places in our lives.

But if you feel like that's whats you gonna make you happy then who is to tell you any different.

38 is more than likely looking to wife you up, have you settle down and shut that stuff down...And an older men can be more manipulating because of your age...They will try to mold you into what THEY want you to be...22 is still vulnerable, regardless of what you may think you know.

I had this guy throw the fact that he was older in my face all the time...That sucks.

My main point is....Enjoy your 20s, at least your early 20's whatever way you can...cause you will never have it back again.

And at the end of the day do what makes you happy and make sure it's real.

But ask yourself...If you was 38 knowing what you know about 22 year olds (whatever that may be) would you date a 22 being 38?

And me being 28...I wouldn't even date a 22 year old.

4. Indigo Blues

Indigo Blues Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +164
    I have to agree with misinterpret!

He was 16 years old and in high school when you were born!

I have nothing against anyone dating someone older or younger but 22 and 38 a 16 year difference... He would be like dating one of your fathers friends!

Take your time have fun be with young men close to your age.....
    You are only young once!

But at the end of the day it’s your decision

btw.....
    What does your parents think of him?

Cheers!

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :bellydance:go for it........

6. nikknikk19

BSN Student
    Ratings:
    +40
    The little girl syndrome

Nope. Older guys are attractive b/c they are responsible well more so. But, what's with them constantly bringing up age as a way of throwing it in your face or putting you in your place? Very weird. I think they they want their cake and want to eat it to. I do agree with the control aspect. As, I wouldn't even entertain a brotha who was 19 let alone 21 myself; I'm about to 23. But, I think it's different for females. We have the maturity excuse.

7. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,448
    What's wrong with a guy in his late 20's? He's still young yet almost 30....you don't have to date someone dang near 40's to get mature

I've always dated guys 3-7 years older than myself.

8. nikknikk19

BSN Student
    Ratings:
    +40
    lol

I think it depends on location. In NY, where I'm from I'd had never entertain the idea, but in the south I think they are just slower with everything. I've see 34 yr.olds pull off what 15 year olds I knew grewing up wouldn't have done.

9. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,448
    You know a lot of also depends on where you are also finding these guys too.

Not just the general location....

But trust and believe I know what you mean about guys being immature, but sometimes men can be older and still immature.

It's really about commonality, communication, respect, and trust.

And you may think you're mature at 22 but I can't say because I don't know you....[email protected]'m almost 23...Girl your car insurance hasn't been lowered yet....jk

But what I do know is that I have never met a 22 year who had as much in common with a 38 year old man.

And as far as why they throw the age thing in your face, it's because that age factor is a factor to them. They want you to see like "I'm the old one here in this relationship and know more then you, so you need to do as I say..." type of thinking.

And if you have ask "why" they do that? Then you may not be ready for that type of relationship.

10. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    There is a whole metaphysic aspect to this issue that want to get into, but i won't, since i tend offend people on destee.com:laugh: