Black People : How important is a name

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by JT_A, May 7, 2003.

1. JT_A

JT_A Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    New names such Amitenejah (pronounced Ami'-ten-Ja) are being viewed as a meaningful way to maintaing cultural, ancestrial, and/or other values from generation to generation.

The name Amitenejah focuses on three core values; family, cultual, and religious -- 'the family of Amy that loves God'. Amitenejah is an American name in origin since it was designed by an African-American.

Share with us other names, and their respective meaning, who's family values are extolled within them?

How important is a name, a first name, a middle name, a last name, a nickname, a pen name, or even a screen name?

2. monetg

monetg Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Names are very important in the sense that they denote a part of your identity. My first name means "pretty/beautiful" in Yiddish and more important than the definition of the name is that this is the name my parents chose for me. This is the name my parents wanted the world to call me and recognize me as. And my surname (last name) bestows a sense of belonging because it shows what family/clan/unit I "belong" to.