Black People : How I Treat AFRIKAN People Day to Day!

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ionlyspeaktruth, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6
    Again, this works for me. I am not telling anyone what to do:

(1) I address ALL AFRIKANS as "Brother" and "Sister". I have done this for over 25 years and it fits me like a glove. IMHO If you dont say it, you won't act it.

(2) I act like the AFRIKANS who either serve my food or make up my room in a hotel are ROYALTY! I not only tip them but I also COMPLIMENT them. Why?? First off they are my sisters and they deserve it. Second, maybe this will be the ONLY time all day that anybody says to those sisters "you look very nice today sister". Many people look down ther nose at them. Not your boy! They are QUEENS!

(3) I allow NO AFRIKAN to bow and scrape. Whether it is the brother who does my shoes ( I bring them to him, he will never be at my feet) or the brother or sister asking for change on the street or subway. I tell them too that I love then and they are my people. No groveling needed.

(4) I speak to young people. Ask how they are doing in school. Making sure they are doing well in school and hanging out with decent folks as well as listening to their parents.

This is just day to day stuff that works for me. I dont waiver. if you are ever with me, I act this way as second nature. And guess what? At the end of the day I can rest well.:10500:

2. Yardlee

Yardlee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Thats a great way to interact with people. I get a feeling of warmth and connectedness whenever I hear individuals greet each other with brother, sistah, or cousin.

Although, I'm in the younger generation, I hear my mom sometimes talk about how the community and neighborhoods were more connected and more warm when she was growing up.

I totally feel you, about the sistahs in the hotel industry. I use to work at a hotel as an assistant front desk manager. I totally respect what they do because it's not an easy job.

3. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6

It give me great feelings when a younger generation brother or sister says that. We need you to carry on. When I make my journey, I want to go knowing that our next generation has things in order. I just urge people to try living like that. I treat my people like I have known them forever. Also, I offer sisters a ride home. I cant see them struggling with bags/kids and not do so. My dad used to work till 1:00 A.M. and would sometimes give sisters getting off the train a ride since he parked there. After working 10 hours.:10500:

4. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    Ionlyspeaktruth, I follow each one of those rules. The one that stood out to me is Number 3. I can't even allow a brotha to shine my shoes. It doesn't matter where I am or what I am doing. I would rather just give them some money.

I can't do that whole sitting on a stand thing. It is disgusting. It is dehumanizing. And it bothers me so much. . .I am not sure I can put it into words.

5. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6

That shows feelings for your fellow brothers. LOL@ give em money. That is soo true. this older brother ( I call him poppa) is like 70 years old. How in the sam hill could I stoop soo low? I would rather die than do that to him. About those other ways of living.... It helps make you feel less dirty in a dirty world.:em4500: Please pass this on. Please..:teach: :teach: :teach: