Black People : How Hip-Hop Holds Blacks Back

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by HODEE, Sep 7, 2004.

1. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    http://www.rense.com/general41/hip.htm

By John H. McWhorter
    City Journal
    9-16-03

"As black men we should
    be building a nation of strong
    black leaders, not a nation of superenergized,
    drunk pimps."

- Minister Paul Scott, founder
    of the Messianic Afrikan Nation

Good reading. Good points. Good article. :deal:

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Thanks for sharing Brother HODEE.

I have posted one of Minister Paul Scott's articles before ... How Hip Hop Destroyed Black Power ... with his written permission of course. He's also a Member here.

With all of the negative rap, that rap receives, i can't help but mention the fact (i hope this is fact, as i'm not up on all rap lyrics) ... but i can't help but notice that the only rapper that has ever talked so ugly about their own Mother, called her out of her name, wished she was dead, all in a song ... was a White rapper.

This White rapper took whatever negativity was already present, to an entirely new low.

Was this to direct and guide our youth in the direction they want them to go?

Have they bit the bait yet?

Have Black rappers done this too?

:heart:

Destee

3. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    YES - Hip-Hop Holds Blacks Back

http://www.rense.com/general41/yes.htm

By Heather Sheridan
    9-19-03

" An entire generation of males has been brainwashed into no longer thinking, no longer writing or speaking intelligently, but instead mumbling rap lyrics like mantras, nodding their heads like catatonic idiots to a beat "

Another twist to the same article. This author rants like Bill Cosby. She claims to be in the Music Industry. If change is to happen. Then I would ask. What is she doing positive to sign and promote better groups and lyrics that don't promote violence. I'm sure she don't complain when the pay check comes every payday!

4. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    Thank You Destee. This quote by Minister Paul Scott.

Was used by Jeff Rense http://www.rense.com/ who posted this article on his site. All credit to Minister Paul Scott and his post and writings.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    out of all the angry images that come out of hip hop, i never see any anger directed toward white power.
    i think rap is primarily a suicide message aimed at black people.

as the jobs are moved to cheap foreign labor markets there is really no use for blacks in america anymore.

so we are being bombarded with messages of self destruction clothed in mechanical beats.

6. Oba Iparankanru

Oba Iparankanru Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    "as the jobs are moved to cheap foreign labor markets there is really no use for blacks in america anymore." actually thats why they brought over asians in the 1900s and targeted irish etc to come to america for that boom, so they wouldn't have to hire blacks. if blacks would realize they're there own best resource they wouldn't have to even worry about these types of situations on such a large scale.

7. define

define Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Rap and Hip Hop are different.

Rap= is what you hear on the radio. The pimps and the gangsta stuff.

Hip Hop= the culture. The dance, the poetry, the art. Mos Def and Common are hip hop not rap. They are the culture

8. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks!!

There is lots of good hip hop out.....but people who where never fans to begin with would not know and many would not try to look to see it. There is alot of negative junk....but it is the listeners of hip hop who gotta help clean it up....people who dont like hip hop to begin with have as much business "cleaning it up" as the KKK has cleaning up the black community. The black community has many problems, but leave it to the KKK and they would wipe us out comletely to solve them.

Back to hip hop.....we need to support the good artests more and attend their concerts more. We need to buy albums for more reasons than one hot track or video (that way, many bad artisits would lose money). The negative hip hop gets all the promotion, but with mostly white people on top of the game earning the money (boardroom decsion makers) what do you expect.

We need to pressure those few blacks with any power over rap lables (Master P, Puff and Russel) to try and put out some decent stuff and promote the positive as much as the "hot" music. Whack artists survivie becuase they are promoted well and BET or MTV or Much Music shows their video 8 times a day....maybe if they would show better stuff like back in the day when all typed of rap/hip hop got airplay, things would be better.

I am not one who believes music can be blamed for the downfall of a race, but hip hop and rap are in need of improvement in terms of what gets promotion and makes the money.

9. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    I had to come back and laugh at this ingorant idiot who wrote the article calling "The Message" a negative "fatalistic" song. Apparently the way to deal with community problems is to bury ones head like an ostritch and never speak on them...just sing lullabyes of happiness all day.......SMH.

10. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    As one who once listened to every new rap song that played n the radio, I have to say that I know have no idea who most of those people are. I call it noise these days. When I listen to hip-hop (which isn't often) I try to listen to artists such as Mos Def, Common, and a local underground crew whose label is Subterraneous. The reality of rap music is that people use it as means to an end. I actaully started listening to most of the lyrics when I left high school. I spent one entire weekend ranting at the radio, yelling, "What is WRONG with you?!" How in the world can we ever unify as a people if we spend so much time saying horrible things about ourselves? This has got to stop!

I agree with Mr. Blak.. we must support those who have a positive message, and largely ignore those noisemakers on the radio.

Kind of off subject, but still concerning the culture...

There used to be a friend of mine (we don't talk anymore) who refused to read fiction, like Toni Morrison, E. Lynn Harris, Eric Jerome Dickey because it's "not real." She would only read people like Iceberg Slim and Donald Goines, because that is what was "real" to her. She actually told me that Black romance did not exist.