Black People : How Hip Hop Destroyed Black Power

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    How Hip Hop Destroyed Black Power

Min. Paul Scott

From the moment Stokley Carmichael (Kwame Ture') grabbed the mic and yelled Black Power ! the phrase has struck fear in the heart of white America. Not that they were overly concerned that we posed some sort of military or economic threat, as the white power structure had those two options on "lock" but the possibility that the phrase would galvanize the masses of Black youth to action and motivate them to do more than get their grove on Saturday night and their praise on Sunday morning sent chills up the spines of those who had a vested interest in holding the Black community down. Something had to be done to destroy this uncompromising desire for FREEDOM, JUSTICE and EQUALITY.

The blackploitation movies of the 70's were a good try as they served as a funkier alternative to the Black Nationalist struggle. However, even the pimps and pushers were Struggling against "the man." Also, during that period, the blood of the Black Panthers and our other martyrs was still fresh on the pavements of many neighborhoods of Black America.

So the weapon of choice was a movement of young Black teenagers who had developed a system of organization that could do anything from educate children about the historical struggle of African people to turning the deadliest gang rivalry into a break dance competition.

First, the power structure tried to ban rap music altogether by strengthening indecency laws in states where rappers performed and forcing them to place parental guidance stickers on their albums. But the contradiction of having those who have robbed, killed and murdered every culture on the planet serving, as morality police was too much to swallow. Also problematic was the fact that to them the members of the 2 Live Crew and Public Enemy were interchangeable.

So they fell back on their old standard "if you can't beat them, corrupt them." It was not an overnight, hostile takeover but a slow, cunning infiltration, kind of like the annoying scratchy throat that you ignore until it has you sick in bed for two weeks. By then it is too late.

What arose was a Hip Hop nation that held no allegiance to the Black Nation as the hip Hop nation was all inclusive and anyone regardless of race, class, religion or political views where anyone who had 15 dollars to buy a CD and could imitate the style of dress from glossy magazine covers could be down.

There is a saying in Afrocentric circles that when the European missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land and when they left, we had the Bible and they had the land. In terms of Hip Hop, when the white missionaries in the form of corporate executives came to the 'hood they had the 20 inch rims and courvoisier and we had the music, when they left, we had the rims and courvoisier and they had the music. We traded our dashikis for Rockawear, our African medallions for platinum chains and our souls for a moment to shine in front of white America. As it is said, we crossed over and couldn't get black. Black Power became an example of racism in reverse and a term that should have gone out with the Afro pick.

Hip Hop should serve as the background music for the Black Nation and should be heard pumpin' through speakers at every uprising, protest, or demonstration. However, the forces, which control Hip Hop, have taken measures to make sure that the Hip Hop Nation and the Black Power Nation never unite. While most rappers would swear on their mammas' graves that they are in control of their Hip Hop destinies, I can not help to think that behind the back stage curtain at every rap concert is an oldwhite "Wizard of the 'hood" carefully manipulating the lives of our children.

What we have here is a failure to communicate; a convesation that never happened. A dialogue between the Black Nation and the Hip Hop Nation has been skillfully blocked by the white power structure. While talk shows often pit Harvard educated, middle class journalist, Bob Smith against straight up gangsta, MC Cut Throat, I have yet to see a debate between "MC Cut Throat" and straight up Black militant, revolutionary, "Bro. Shaka Zulu."

We must not be afraid of alienating our children (as many of them cannot become more alienated, anyway) by engaging them to observe Hip Hop against the back drop of the struggle for Black LIBERATION. As many of them pride themselves on being the "realist" and shocking white America with their lyrics that talk loud and say nothing, we must teach them of the ancestors who were really controversial and were rewarded with a bullet in the head or noose around their necks and not heavy rotation on a radio station.

We must not be afraid to use the term "anti-afrikanism" in describing some of the disrespect that white corporate America gives us in the guise of entertainment. While it may be too early to grill Lil Bow Wow on his views on the mental genocide of Afrikan people, it is not only proper; but our responsibility, to engage 30 something year old Black men on their views on colonialism. If they are able to tell our children about the correct way to sell crack or murder another Black man, the issue of white supremacy should not intimidate them in the least.

Although many would like to write off the age of Black Consciousness as a lost era ;if you walk outside on a warm summer night, after the last video has played on BET, if you listen closely you can still hear the voices of the ancestors shouting black power, Black Power, BLACK POWER!

Minister Paul Scott is founder of the New Righteous Movement based in Durham NC, which teaches Afrikan Liberation Theology. He can be reached at [email protected]

Article posted with permission from Minister Scott:

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    I found this article interesting and thought you all would enjoy reading it as well, so I asked for (and received) permission to post it here.

The title is strong, suggesting that the Hip Hop generation alone, is responsible for the death of Black Power. It certainly drew me in. Once there, I found rich content inside.

What do you think?

Destee

3. shaneak

shaneak Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Support engineer
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think that was deep.. and very educational. How can i find out more about Black Liberation. I recalled back in our presidency their were three different representatives. Republican, Democratic, and Liberal (sp?). I been trying to do research on that. Please let me know if you have any more info or where i might can get it...

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    black power was striped ...............not only from da movie
    but from our own self pride within we yet have found the
    door that's open some made it in ........for me !
    black power live on .

5. shaneak

United States
    Ratings:
    +7
    where might i be able to find that?...

6. shaneak

United States
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you...

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    HUMMM!! INDEED I AGREE .........

8. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    good topic!

eyes on the prize, you might be able to find those at your local library. pbs use to show it every black history month but i haven't seen it in about 7 years or so. :sad:

i think i was reading somewhere they blaxploitation movies was created to take our minds away from politics and social change. this includes superfly, the mack and such. it was so powerful even some of the black panther got sucked in.

just the other day i listened to the news stated that gangs are again on the rise in Cali. so easy with the appeal that rappers and their slavemasters feed to us daily. i'm so tired of snoop dog and the like.

from another site, many of us were discussing BET. how we are only being fed one image of Black life and culture - blinging, booty-shaking, smoking drinking, sex creatures. though many of us have already stopped watching BET, many of your young men and women haven't. so the superfly image continues to grow in their minds.

9. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    I believe that the Black Power Movement was already in decline in 1979 when Hip Hop emerged as a recorded medium.

DISCO followed the consciousness music of Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, the Ojay's and Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes, among others.

The hedonistic culture and popularity of the Studio 54 club scene gave rise to "punk" music as a rebellion and early elements of hip hop culture developed with punk, here and abroad in England.

Early hip hop emerged as "dance" music, breakdancing being a vital element and hip hops popularity gained with movies such as Krush Groove and Beat Street.

As hip hop evolved from syth based music to break beak culture, the emphasis of rapping, which was an extention of jamacian style "toasting" gave rise to "sampling as an art form.

Now the two most sampled artists are James Brown and George Clinton, the respective odfathers of Soul and Funk.

Afrika Bambaataa, merged both of these sounds with Kraftwerk influenced "punk" styled techno-beats and took the concept of Clinton's Mothership and developed the Zulu Nation.

On the West Coast, there emerged the Uncle Jamm's Army, which was a Parliament/ Funkadelic DJ collective which developed it's own style of "electro" mixed with funk and early hip hop.

Therefore, understanding the early genesis of hip hop, it extended the late 70's "ghetto funk" in REBELLION to disco and pop, at least as far as the club scene was concerned.

This lead to the formation of groups such as Boogie Down Productions and Public Enemy, which brought the Black Power messages to the forefront.

If hip hop has been subverted and co-opted by White corporate Amerikkka, at least recognize that was not the original intent, and hip hop was at one time considered "alternative" music, with numerous, black-owned small labels, which was NOT the case since the early sixties Stax-Motown-Chess era.

10. YourInet

YourInet New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Peace,

I just wanted to say that artists have not been responsible in their artform and they should be more aware of their lyrics effect on its listeners. Having said that, I watched an artist once go over to China where they could not even speak english. But the youth were able to speak and understand the words of that artist. My point is if they have the ability to influence the listeners on the lower level then they have the ability to influence the listeners on a higher level. They were asked by Min. Farrakhan once, "How long you think we are going to allow you to get away with this foolishness." I think he was referring to those who would like to see a righteous lifestyle. God has a clear way of ending the madness in no limit of time. How? Just think back to 9/11 and remember what MTV and eventually BET was playing on their music shows, world trade center towers. When God gets fed up he will put an end to it.

YourInet