Black People : How do You View the Elders?

ANUK_AUSAR

REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 2, 2005
Peace,

As a younger man in the struggle, I often find that alot of my elders who are spiritually uncultivated demand high honors just because they have jettisoned the doctrine of Christianity.

While I've been as respectable to these persons as I could possibly be, I've often had the problem of older people trying to "check me" on minutae, even when I've been in compliance with the ways of our ancestors. For example, I've been asked by certain elders to confer upon them honors which they have not been afforded according to ancestral merits.

I also have people who reprimand me for critically analyzing certain historical personalities, just because they have a cozy spot for them in their heart. At these instances, I'm reminded of how "they were in the struggle before I was born" and so on. It's as if I'm not "allowed" to view history by the mandates of MY spirituality, so as to not upset some old school revolutionary.

In the midst of all this, I am *VERY* mindful of my honored elders, and of my ancestors, talking to them daily. I'm comforted by the example given by Malidoma Some in The Healing Wisdom of Africa, when he expressed his frustration with having to be initiated with pubescent boys, because he was not yet seen as an adult in his society.

Does anyone else here run into this problem?

Peace.

Jut because one is an Elder, does not mean that they are incapable of making mistakes....

And, just because they deserve respect because they are Elders, does not mean that we also respect those mistakes and erroneous ways that they commit.

Part of being spiritually cultivated, is being able to discern the difference.

These days, the curses of the Father are often visited upon the Son.

A personal example: My father is most definitely one of the "spiritually uncultivated" as you have mentioned.

He is now a Deacon in the Church, but in his early career of "Deaconhood", he was drinking heavily, and beating mercilessly on women.

Amidst all of this, his goal was to "convince" me (guess how?) of going to church, whilst I had already had my own spiritual path and Journey since I was very young (I was raised mostly by my mother).

We had many fights (both verbal and physical) about this, and eventually I became a "man" (By his standards) and moved out and on......

I have always loved my father unconditionally, but I have never liked him very much.......So much so, that he had become what I call an "anti-role model": someone who have strive very hard NOT to be like.

Had I not seen him in this "anti-role model" light, I would not have become the better person that I know that I am today.

As a result, the distance that I had put betwixt my father and I, helped to create a relationship based on mutual respect for one another.

We are far more civil, respectful, cordial, and even jovial with one another, whenever I visit him. This is a level of relationship that I never had--nor could never have had--with him previously.

My bit of wisdom to you, Young Lord, is that since you are spiritually cultivated, and they (whomever the "Elder" in question is) is not, then the burden falls to you to utilize the Wisdom Faculty within your Spirit to carry the day, when dealing with them......It does not fall upon them.

People cannot use, what they do not have (nor have no interest in attaining).

Remember also, that "Elder" does not automatically translate into "Wise", nor does "Youth" translate into "stupid".

You, Young Lord, are far wiser than many "Elders" that I've met, that are 3 and 4 times your age.

However to those Elders (including those here) that have learned the Lessons of life well, and exude those lessons in their demeanor, I bow to your Wisdom.

PEACE

Beautiful and enlightening essay, Bro. Samurai! :bowdown:

I echo Bro. Kemetkind's question because I'm not sure what is meant by "spiritually uncultivated." Does it have anything to do with religion?

Can someone please articulate what spiritually uncultivated looks like in a person?

Queenie :heart:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back