How do you teach a 5yr old or older child to be an individual?

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by PurpleMoons, May 21, 2004.

1. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    The reason i asked this question is because my five yr old whom just turned six does'nt understand that she is born to be unique. She entices her friends with the material things that she has. Once they become bored with these things they move on to the next child leaving my baby feeling like she does'nt fit in. I tried to explain to her the difference between a best friend and a friend, But my explanation back fired. She became very hostile to her friends and practically told them that they was using her. She started holding her little fingers in the letter L shape when she saw them. This meaning that they are losers. Of course children don't hold grudges so once she teamed up with them again, She started to do whatever they told her to do or let them have the run of her things. I want her to be herself and be proud, but I dont wan't her to be selfish or arrogant. How do I teach her to embrace her individuality without having to be selfish?

I would love to hear how you all handled this! Please come share with me!

2. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +162
    I guess we had something in common because at the age of 5, my daughter did the same thing exactly. Maybe at a certain age children do go through this maybe not all children, but some do. She use to just give other kids her toys, watches, little necklaces and rings (that we bought her) needless to say I was angry, but I keep explaining to her that if she had to give away things that I spend my money on just so someone would play with her, ...then she don't need to be in the company of that person and that it's their loss, not her's. Just keep talking to your seed and soon she will learn the difference and grow out of it.
    ps I like this thread, hope we will always be able to assist each other in concerns about our children.

3. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Thank you Sista Queen!
    I will do! I was at the point
    of just locking her in and keeping
    her all to myself. She is
    so wonderful! As I am sure
    your little princess is too!