Black People : How Do You Read Race from Words?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by medusanegrita, Apr 15, 2010.

1. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mar 13, 2010
    +565 / -0
    I would have thought I've revealed myself on here enough for anyone to know that rightly and surely, I'm a confident and secure proud black person, and a confident and secure proud black woman. Yeah, I've got my insecurities, but of those two - black and woman (and all that entails from our struggles, our history, our heroes and sheroes) make no mistake about how I feel - proud, confident, and secure.

So why, during my absence, I read in a thread about my reprimand that accuses me of being a subversive white person who may be pretending to be a black person? I read people very well, and i can usually tell the race of a person when i am reading them, especially white people. They always have something in their written form or the way they speak and express words that let you know they may not be black or whatever they pretend to be. And I'm sure other people have the uncanny ability to read race or the race of white people in particular when they are reading them. But you are less apt to be right when you are accusing a black person of being a white person from written words.

So how do you do it? Why do you do it? I know some of it was a way to get back at me for what I've posted, but I've read of a few others being called out on the more controversial threads for being white.

Since I know what i am, who i am, and what i am about - and i know that i present all and many aspects of that which i'm about on this board, i find it insulting to called to be called or mistaken as a white person.... personally.

With that said tho, why can't people just have their say here regardless of color and race and the discussion taken up based on the merits of that post? In the end, a disruptive white person (or any person) will be dealt with by mods, so why call a person out on race anyway.... unless it actually bolsters your argument of what they put in a thread (and you can address that through a direct quote and reply)? But of those called out for being something other than black, I haven't seen that kind of constructive critique or argument. The call out was made to insult the person making the posts or thread.

What do you make of this?