Poetry Discussion : How do you know where the end of your Poem is?

James,

I am a minimalist to my core. Those little poet people are economical with their words as am I. My longer pieces are not all that long at all. I don't believe I've ever written a poem longer than 4 stanzas. The freedom blank verse affords doesn't really suit me. I need structure. Having said all that, yes, the process is the same. The little artists in my head do their thing and I write it down. I also channel other poets at times. For instance, while writing "lessons passed down" I could feel Lucille Clifton's hand over mine while I typed. You already know I'm crazy so I'm not afraid to share this with you.

(smile)

ps: missed you too.

You are far from crazy; you are beautiful.. and your work is beautiful. And it's time for that book. How would you ever have been impacted by Lucille Clifton if she had not put her work out there for you to stumble onto? It's time.

when a concept comes to mind as was mentioned earlier I too sort of wrap my ideas around that main theme and often that initial thought becomes the last word/sentence...or sometimes the conclusion of that concept is last a thought that ties it together a resolution or sets a train of thought in the direction I want

Peace Feather.. thanks for sharing.. and good to see you back..

let me ask you:

Do you commit fully to a single theme for each concept.. or do you try different avenues for the same concept? For example.. do you ever take the initial thought and place it at the begining.. or off to the side.. or firmly in the middle.. while you write around it?

Peace Feather.. thanks for sharing.. and good to see you back..

let me ask you:

Do you commit fully to a single theme for each concept.. or do you try different avenues for the same concept? For example.. do you ever take the initial thought and place it at the begining.. or off to the side.. or firmly in the middle.. while you write around it?

Its rarely at the beginning, the middle yes sometimes when its an unfinished thought that im still struggling to get out and communicate it. But usually I think I commit to a single theme and stick to that idea. Thank you, its nice to be back ;)

...actually its a bit of both it just depends on the idea and how developed it is with me lol

Beautiful discussion & I'm learning & luvin' it all!!!

Came across something that takes a whole lot-a words to express the answers already addressed in this thread:

How to End a Poem

There is no way to end a poem
As it will end itself,
But if the pen won’t stem its flow
The guides below may help:
Like the plague or creeping pox
Avoid a summary ending;
End your poem with images
Or surprising anecdote,
Or words which echo or recall
The sounds that went before;
Instead of floating freely
Upon a brackish sea,
Anchor your poem securely
In its reality;
Use an apt comparison
Like a stardust stampede in the sky
Or a contrite choir of crickets;
Shock the complacent
From their somnolence;
Close with musical chords
Which promise a resolve.
There are as many ways to end
A poem and yet there is not one
For poems will oft communicate
Exactly when they’re done.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

I think the writer is basically saying what I'd read earlier from another poster ... when the "weight" of the next word causes you to ask the question ... then ... perhaps the message has been birthed & all that is left is the clean-up! You know, spell checking - proofing, etc.

Blessings

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back