Poetry Discussion : How do you know where the end of your Poem is?

black math

Apr 24, 2013
The ending of a song begins with the beginning concept, it is how well the middle part is put together which we must consider also. For the middle part ties the beginning and ending in.

As I travel thru this misty ether that makes up my astral body secreting gases igniting lightning flashes dread-locked up head knotty
Vertical to the rich black soil as the black viper uncoils the mocking bird sings sweet melodies at 212 degrees I bubble and boil...

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
James,
I've been looking at this question sideways for awhile now, not exactly sure how to answer because I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.
" .. how do you know where the end of a piece is?"

When the little poet people in my head stop speaking, I'm pretty sure the poem is done. I don't always write my pieces in sequential order. I sometimes write the last line first and then write a poem for it. Not sure if I answered but that's the best I got.

(smile)

Kiwanda..
you answered. but let me ask you:

I know you do a lot of hard-form poetry.. like Haiku and Cinquan.. ("hard-form" being my word for poetry with strictly defined forms..5-7-5, etc.. ) Does your process.. "the little poet people".. work the same with longer, free-form Pieces too?

ps: good to see you back

Feather

Sep 3, 2011
when a concept comes to mind as was mentioned earlier I too sort of wrap my ideas around that main theme and often that initial thought becomes the last word/sentence...or sometimes the conclusion of that concept is last a thought that ties it together a resolution or sets a train of thought in the direction I want

skuderjaymes

Nov 2, 2009
Occupation
James,

I am a minimalist to my core. Those little poet people are economical with their words as am I. My longer pieces are not all that long at all. I don't believe I've ever written a poem longer than 4 stanzas. The freedom blank verse affords doesn't really suit me. I need structure. Having said all that, yes, the process is the same. The little artists in my head do their thing and I write it down. I also channel other poets at times. For instance, while writing "lessons passed down" I could feel Lucille Clifton's hand over mine while I typed. You already know I'm crazy so I'm not afraid to share this with you.

(smile)

ps: missed you too.

You are far from crazy; you are beautiful.. and your work is beautiful. And it's time for that book. How would you ever have been impacted by Lucille Clifton if she had not put her work out there for you to stumble onto? It's time.

skuderjaymes

Nov 2, 2009
Occupation
when a concept comes to mind as was mentioned earlier I too sort of wrap my ideas around that main theme and often that initial thought becomes the last word/sentence...or sometimes the conclusion of that concept is last a thought that ties it together a resolution or sets a train of thought in the direction I want

Peace Feather.. thanks for sharing.. and good to see you back..

let me ask you:

Do you commit fully to a single theme for each concept.. or do you try different avenues for the same concept? For example.. do you ever take the initial thought and place it at the begining.. or off to the side.. or firmly in the middle.. while you write around it?

Feather

Sep 3, 2011
Peace Feather.. thanks for sharing.. and good to see you back..

let me ask you:

Do you commit fully to a single theme for each concept.. or do you try different avenues for the same concept? For example.. do you ever take the initial thought and place it at the begining.. or off to the side.. or firmly in the middle.. while you write around it?
Its rarely at the beginning, the middle yes sometimes when its an unfinished thought that im still struggling to get out and communicate it. But usually I think I commit to a single theme and stick to that idea. Thank you, its nice to be back ;)

...actually its a bit of both it just depends on the idea and how developed it is with me lol

Gracious

Aug 8, 2013
Beautiful discussion & I'm learning & luvin' it all!!!

Came across something that takes a whole lot-a words to express the answers already addressed in this thread:

How to End a Poem

There is no way to end a poem
As it will end itself,
But if the pen won’t stem its flow
The guides below may help:
Like the plague or creeping pox
Avoid a summary ending;
End your poem with images
Or surprising anecdote,
Or words which echo or recall
The sounds that went before;
Instead of floating freely
Upon a brackish sea,
Anchor your poem securely
In its reality;
Use an apt comparison
Like a stardust stampede in the sky
Or a contrite choir of crickets;
Shock the complacent
From their somnolence;
Close with musical chords
Which promise a resolve.
There are as many ways to end
A poem and yet there is not one
For poems will oft communicate
Exactly when they’re done.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

I think the writer is basically saying what I'd read earlier from another poster ... when the "weight" of the next word causes you to ask the question ... then ... perhaps the message has been birthed & all that is left is the clean-up! You know, spell checking - proofing, etc.

Blessings

Angela22

Feb 26, 2013
Easy. When I don't feel like writin' it no more. :p:D lol

But seriously, does poetry actually end?

Or is it just as far as we've let others view into our souls before we close the curtains again? And thus, it still goes on, just without peering eyes? :thinking:

Either way.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍
1619+400=2019 Jamestown Virginia...end of slavery. (Yes modern miseducation and injustices count as slavery) But no proper reparations will be given since the amount of contributions beyond humanity transcends generations. Our people have history that is equal to trillions of dollars including Melanin research and its supernatural power.
I want my people to be aware of this dilemma regarding the upcoming election... I know politics. Yes Trump is admitting the truth about Black People building this so called country corporation (The United States). But you must understand that what they're planning on doing is to divide and conquer. This is all just for him to get re-elected. He's going to promise reparations and reneg at the last minute.
Ifypedro334 wrote on Jasica Adam's profile.
The best gift to give a baby boy is ??
Lon
Trying to find my way around on this forum. It's not User Friendly