river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Hey fambly,

As some of you know I have a book that should be available in October. It's an autobiography and of course destee.com is in it.

You can help me and it won't cost you nothing. Just think of the last few books you bought. How did you find out about them and what make you decide to buy them.

do you buy books reviewed in The New York Times or some such newspaper?
Books recommended as must reads by Oprah or some such celebrity?
posted on Twitter or some such social network?
Googled for a specific topic or gente?
Searched amazon for a topic or genre?
stumled across it blingly in a bookstore? Which bookstore?
Bookclub read? which bookclub?
Posted somewhere on Destee? where?
none of the above? what then?
Other

I really appreciate your help.
Thanx

Hey fambly,

As some of you know I have a book that should be available in October. It's an autobiography and of course destee.com is in it.

You can help me and it won't cost you nothing. Just think of the last few books you bought. How did you find out about them and what make you decide to buy them.

Other

Thanx

I usually get books from other family members that recommend reading it...
Other times I'll go to the library or bookstore and scan books and if the cover is appealing (LOL) then I read the back and flip to the middle of the book and read that, and if it sounds good for the first 2 pages that I read then I'll get it.

Most other books friends suggest to me I won't read because usually I have a different preference then most people I know (outside fam).

Sometimes I get books that are suggested on Shelfari.

Hey fambly,

Other

Thanx
I worked in a bookstore (the last day was today....tear), so everything is really word of mouth for me. My best advice is you gotta do a book signing or reading, but when you do it make sure you have family and friends who can be there. Whenever we did one at the store sometimes people wouldn't have a lot of people show up and then it would just be some person in the corner with a table by themselves. If you set a signing or a reading up at a bookstore then invite people so others in the store who are just shopping will be drawn in. I can't tell you how many people would stop shopping to hear the speaker, especially if what they were talking about was something that they could relate to. Next thing you know, the whole store, including workers were listening. Now you have people who work in the store reading the book, and we would recommend books to customers all the time. The one gentleman who did this in my store, I ended up selling at least 5 books to customers because I remember him, and felt like this would be a good read for the customers. I even remember his name 2 years later...Ishmael Beah. Find a good location, it could be a big store, or a small one, and do your thing. Word of mouth is the greatest tool we have today...in my opinion. Good luck!!!

I worked in a bookstore (the last day was today....tear), so everything is really word of mouth for me. My best advice is you gotta do a book signing or reading, but when you do it make sure you have family and friends who can be there. Whenever we did one at the store sometimes people wouldn't have a lot of people show up and then it would just be some person in the corner with a table by themselves. If you set a signing or a reading up at a bookstore then invite people so others in the store who are just shopping will be drawn in. I can't tell you how many people would stop shopping to hear the speaker, especially if what they were talking about was something that they could relate to. Next thing you know, the whole store, including workers were listening. Now you have people who work in the store reading the book, and we would recommend books to customers all the time. The one gentleman who did this in my store, I ended up selling at least 5 books to customers because I remember him, and felt like this would be a good read for the customers. I even remember his name 2 years later...Ishmael Beah. Find a good location, it could be a big store, or a small one, and do your thing. Word of mouth is the greatest tool we have today...in my opinion. Good luck!!!
Thanx to both of you.

Yes, word of mouth is of the essence.

And MsInterpret, I'm not a friend. I'm a sista. So there:D

In a few weeks I will have a website ready so you can come and there'll be lots of stuff to help you decide if you would like to read the whole book.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back