How Do We Teach Our Children About Racism?

Donate

Please support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp - Thank you.

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
FaithSoulSistah said:
You're right. The negativity is a big issue. I spoke to my godson awhile back and he told me "The only thing they teach you about black people is slavery." Now I'm sure they teach other things during Black History month, but you can see what is standing out in his mind. I read a couple of stories from Dr. Claud Anderson's "Dirty Little Secret" book and he was interested. But I slacked off on talking to him regularly and telling him the positive things in our history. So yesterday I got a call from his mother about how bad his grades were. I know I have to do something because his mother is not enlightened. She puts the responsibility solely on him and does not monitor his progress like she should.

I decided to send him weekly emails with links to positive stories that I come across during the week and other black history facts. The positivity forum here is really great.

If we don't have balance in regards to the messages we receive about ourselves, then our kids certainly don't. So I'm doing something about it as best I can. This is a very bright and intelligent child, but he is not motivated. I have to do what I can to help him even though I am out of state now.
A great big ^5 to you dear sista!

Latest profile posts

Kemetstry wrote on Destee's profile.
What ever you've done, you can no longer post to the kitchen table
It's been a good while, but this place has always been home. Thankful to be here.
Hi! I'm not as active on this account as I want to be. For one I tend to forget that this site exists until I check my email. Two, I'm currently in the process of building up a fine art site for Oklahoma black and native historical references. The references correlate with another site that will be a storytelling site that has not yet been produced.
Happy to be back and gaining more knowledge!
Destee wrote on Cindy's profile.
Welcome Home Beloved! :wave: :love: