Black People : How Do We Overcome White Supremacy?

These may seem like awkward questions, but as I read through the thread, it suddenly occurred to me that I may not know the definition of "white supremacy". Is there more to it than a notion by a white person thinking that white people are better and more deserving than non-white people? Can a "white supremist" not be a "racist"? Can a non-white person be a "white supremist" because they firmly believe that white people are better and more deserving than non-white people?

Queenie :heart:

NNQueen said:
These may seem like awkward questions, but as I read through the thread, it suddenly occurred to me that I may not know the definition of "white supremacy". Is there more to it than a notion by a white person thinking that white people are better and more deserving than non-white people? Can a "white supremist" not be a "racist"? Can a non-white person be a "white supremist" because they firmly believe that white people are better and more deserving than non-white people?

Queenie :heart:

It's good to read you sister Queenie! been missing you :blowkiss:

NNQueen said:
Is there more to it than a notion by a white person thinking that white people are better and more deserving than non-white people?
no, there isn't

Can a "white supremist" not be a "racist"?
no, they are racists

Can a non-white person be a "white supremist" because they firmly believe that white people are better and more deserving than non-white people?
yes, see clarence thomas, shelby steele, et al...

How Do We Overcome White Supremacy? We can’t change their minds because it is a lie that have been passed down from generation to generation. We have to work on ourselves by setting standards forthat the majority of our people can benefit from. No matter what kind of supremacy there is, I have been hearing the same rhetoric every since I was a child over 40 years of the same old song (black people don’t stick together) (we need to support our own blah blah blah) while other ethnic groups build businesses in our neighborhoods (in our faces) then go take care of their own in their neighborhoods and some even have the nerve to “say what’s up cousin” this infuriates me.. So maybe just maybe if we could refocus or attention on utilizing all the tools and resources that we have at our disposal we can accomplish a lot. The main thing is that we have to do it quietly within our own neighborhoods a little at a time not with all the hooping and hollering that we have done in the pass. This is what it takes great dialogue and really looking at this thing from all different angles, but it would take each one of us to do our part. (But also to keep our egos in check)
To make it happen we need a framework and foundation in order to build upon. This is why we communicate to find ways to set that framework and foundation. Any kind of supremacy thinking is pretty sad simple because we all will go to the same place in the end and no one that I know of have come back to tell us about it. So all we can do as a people is utilize our time tools and resources and hope in another 20 years that we will have a different song to sing. Below is some great links on this subject and words and meanings that is related to this subject.

Main Entry: white supremacy
Function: noun
: a doctrine based on a belief in the inherent superiority of the white race over other races and the correlative necessity for the subordination of nonwhites to whites in all relationships

: the quality or state of being supreme; also : supreme authority or power

supreme

1 : highest in rank or authority
2 : highest in degree or quality

racism

1.The belief that members of one race are superior to members of other races
2.The belief that members of one ethnic group are superior to members of another ethnic group.
3.The belief that capability or behavior can be racially defined.
4.Aggression or discriminatory behavior towards members of a certain race or races.
5.Aggression or discriminatory behavior based upon differences in ethnicity.
6.Ethnically or culturally discriminatory behavior exhibited by members of the racial, ethnic, or cultural group dominant within a society.
7.The practice of asserting or assuming racially or ethnically defined cultural dominance.
8.The perpetuation of racial, ethnic, or cultural dominance of some groups over others.
9.Opportunity inequality resulting from preferential treatment towards others of a similar cultural background.
10.The act of using political, judicial, civil, and educational systems to oppress one based on their ethnicity.

This is what we are striving for as a people.

unity

Main Entry: uni·ty
Pronunciation: 'yü-n&-tE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
Etymology: Middle English unite, from Anglo-French unité, from Latin unitat-, unitas, from unus one -- more at ONE
1 a : the quality or state of not being multiple : ONENESS > (2) : IDENTITY ELEMENT
2 a : a condition of harmony : ACCORD b : continuity without deviation or change (as in purpose or action)
3 a : the quality or state of being made one : UNIFICATION: the resulting singleness of effect or symmetry and consistency of style and character
4 : a totality of related parts : an entity that is a complex or systematic whole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_supremacy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_supremacy

No matter your financial status, religious status, political status, skin tone, or what region of the country you were born. The one thing we have in common is Our Story.
http://www.blackprosperity.net

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back