Jails / Prisons : How Do We Keep Young Black Men From Going To Prison?

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Destee, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,025
    These are some folks who have worked on this issue up front and personal for over 20 years each, doing real counseling, with "hard time crimies" and turning lives around.

This is science, not opinion, and success with a track record

2. Black Squared

Black Squared Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +177
    I gave the solution, brother, maybe it's just too simple to understand. Just stop doing what it takes to go to prison.

Lol, you're discussing the finger, I'm talking about the moon. I'm speaking on the destination, not how others who tried to get there before failed.

3. warriorprincess

warriorprincess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +201
    Attainable goals

How do we keep young Black Men from going to prison?

What must we do to stop this epidemic of lost life from our homes and communities?

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee[/QUOTE]

Some of the things that has helped some of our young people and may possibly help a few more is as follows…

1. Giving young people goals early on.

We can give them attainable desirable goals when they are young. Its amazing how one goal can propel a person their entire lives. Some parents/mentors can look at a child at a very young age and see qualities that will make them perfectly fit for a certain profession. I say tell the child what he will become later in his life. If the child takes to this challenge, its almost like you can hang their goals “over their head” so to speak. You can get him to see the need to sacrifice in order to reach a particular goal. I believe in discipline for our young people but I also believe in appealing to their intellect and their ego if need be.

2. Give our young people attainable goals.

Sometimes when people have goals in front of them that they feel are just too high or undesirable to reach, they become overwhelmed and end up doing nothing.
    A 4 year college/university is only an attainable goal if that is something that a young person wants to do. A lot of our young people are not willing or wanting to sacrifice years and years of their life in order to be able to take care of themselves. A lot of people young people think that if you don't go to college, then your only option is fast-food. We know that this is not the case. Besides entrepreneurship, I am a huge advocate of trade, trade, trade schools. I am also an advocate of two year degrees and online certificate programs. Are our young people aware of the salaries and the lifestyles of people with this type of background? The professions that result from this type of background are often times not something that a lot of us know or advocate in advance. We speak about education but not the different types of education. I would like to see the community advocate all different types of paths so that our young people can feel good about finding one that suits them.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,542
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

warriorprincess,

The points highlighted above are very significant and I agree with these viewpoints, wholeheartedly...Peace In my sister friend.

P.S. For your benefit, if you click the Quote button of this post, you'll see how to successfully quote someone's post.

5. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,025
    Some of the things that has helped some of our young people and may possibly help a few more is as follows…

1. Giving young people goals early on.

We can give them attainable desirable goals when they are young. Its amazing how one goal can propel a person their entire lives. Some parents/mentors can look at a child at a very young age and see qualities that will make them perfectly fit for a certain profession. I say tell the child what he will become later in his life. If the child takes to this challenge, its almost like you can hang their goals “over their head” so to speak. You can get him to see the need to sacrifice in order to reach a particular goal. I believe in discipline for our young people but I also believe in appealing to their intellect and their ego if need be.

2. Give our young people attainable goals.

Sometimes when people have goals in front of them that they feel are just too high or undesirable to reach, they become overwhelmed and end up doing nothing.
    A 4 year college/university is only an attainable goal if that is something that a young person wants to do. A lot of our young people are not willing or wanting to sacrifice years and years of their life in order to be able to take care of themselves. A lot of people young people think that if you don't go to college, then your only option is fast-food. We know that this is not the case. Besides entrepreneurship, I am a huge advocate of trade, trade, trade schools. I am also an advocate of two year degrees and online certificate programs. Are our young people aware of the salaries and the lifestyles of people with this type of background? The professions that result from this type of background are often times not something that a lot of us know or advocate in advance. We speak about education but not the different types of education. I would like to see the community advocate all different types of paths so that our young people can feel good about finding one that suits them.[/QUOTE]
    Now that is a real solution, and builds a sense of self esteem, and self worth, and a methodology that can be replicated