How do we increase the numbers of black men in college?

Yup

Khasm13 said:
the way things are going now...
we can increase the number of black men in colleges
by having the rappers make their videos with the scantly clad
women, at some of the universities...i only jest, but there is truth in these wordz...
the black male youth are patterning their lives off of what they see on television. televison unfortunately has become the educators of our youth...and this is a crying shame....
one love
khasm

As a member of the younger group (I'm 24) I can see exactly where you are coming from here. Most of the men i know (btwn the ages of 18 & 35) pattern their lives off of music videos. My husband was once one of them. He used to mope around the house saying "It's not fair! They make millions to jump around on stage." When asked why he never finished school, he gets quiet. The truth? He spent too much time trying to live out his TV dreams. And there are plenty of people like this in the world. What they don't realize is this: IT'S NOT REAL!

I agree with some of the other opionions that have been posted already. If more brothers had (proper) role models, and spent more time talking to people with the same goals, things might be a little different in the community. Perhaps it's time for every Brother who "makes it" to go out and encourage 4 more Brothers who want to "make it", without the aid of drug money or pimp culture.

my friend was telling me how one of her black male friends said that if he knew about something good and benificial to others , that he would keep it too himself. And i think many people have this selfish mentality, that is stoping African Americans from progressing positively( i.e going to college- and doing well, knowing that htere are tons of scholarsships for minorities ( an excuse many use -$), or simply leading a helping hand or adivce)

why it is uncool to be educated.....

MANASIAC said:
2. Academic Excellence is looked down upon in this society.

In the Black Community, people who are seeking to learn are considered nerds and sometimes-even sellouts. It is difficult for some kids because you got one crowd calling you a nerd and then you got another crowd calling you a sellout because you are learning. It is also more difficult for the young Black Male because some Black Females tend not to like you if you are smart or are trying to learn; thus, this negative reaction will cause a lot of young Black Men to pursue other interests which gain approval from their peers.

This is VERY important. Kids need to understand that just becuase they see white kids doing something, doesnt mean that it is a "white behaviour". This attitude is common among adults and parents in the community too!! They talk about getting mad at kids who think school is for whites, then they turn around and discuss how "black males who are highly educated are more likely to sell out and marry out of the community". They also take what they see as "white parenting solutions" and make comments on how they wont do so and so cause they "aint white". Kids have ears and hear that there are certain behaviours designated for whites and blacks....then they get older and pay closer attention and hear older blacks claim that the most likely ones in the community to sell out are highly educated black males.

Now we got the AIDS and DL thing which the white media is painting as college educated black mans problem. Add to that all the NBA players who skip college and go straight to the pros, entertainers who made it without schooling.....and of course, girls who want a "thugged out" bro, or a sports star more than a "nerd" or boring nice college guy.

It all adds up. I dont know how this can be undone. We have something called the Black Community initiative at my university which reaches out to the community to try and get more blacks to a higer level of participation. There appears to be way more blacks at my school than 5 years ago, but we cant collect race based data from a school becuase it is illegal to ask that on an application.

a verry big issue is cost. daroc-mentioned scholarships, does anyone know of some good sites pertaining to scholarships and grants? Maby if we flooded the community with this info you would see higher attendance.

also with cost is method of schooling. lets be real, westernized school and testing is a verry dull, and mind numbing process. more hands on training and apprenticeship would work in my opinion. how ever westernized teaching won't change anytime soon, so we need more black owned private schools on the grade school level.

Therious said:
a verry big issue is cost. daroc-mentioned scholarships, does anyone know of some good sites pertaining to scholarships and grants? Maby if we flooded the community with this info you would see higher attendance. Also with cost is method of schooling. lets be real, westernized school and testing is a verry dull, and mind numbing process. more hands on training and apprenticeship would work in my opinion. how ever westernized teaching won't change anytime soon, so we need more black owned private schools on the grade school level.

Cost is a big issue....you are absolutely right on this Therious. Many of the people who I know that dropped out of college did so not because of their grades or lack of interest....they dropped out because they could no longer afford to go. I always promote community colleges to people. The cost of these are a fraction of the price in comparison to universities. I started at a community college and in truth, if I never went to a community college, I probably would not have ever gone at all.

As far as getting information out about scholarships...that is "supposed" to be done in high school. White schools provide this information to their students through college & career offices, and through counselors. As always this doesn't happen at black schools or with black students. At my school I wasn't told anything about the SAT, scholarships, or college application process. I found out about dates & registration by overhearing conversations from the white students at my school. Yet again this is another example of why we need black people in these positions.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back