Black People : How do we help

All of your points are very valid. I agree with you all on certain aspects. Cedric I do teach my child, not to talk to strangers, however, I do emphasize that a stranger is anyone you don't know. I don't care if they say that they are your cousin do not talk to them unless mommy and daddy says that it is ok. Keep in mind my child is just three so I don't go anywhere that she is not with me right now. I do agree with you Cedric about the lost child and stranger trying to help as a parent how would I explain to my child how to trust her feeling in a case like that?

Monetary- I am with you on your comments nothing gets under my skin more than to see little children walking or waiting on the corner for the school bus without any supervision. Many of them in my neighborhood are not even on the corner they are outright in the street. I believe that the same amount of time taken to concieve on that night when we were throwing down is the same amount of time that can be taken to see our kids and other kids off to school safely.

Ledda - I feel u too. I also check out the Sex Offenders Registry I think that is a wonderful idea. The only thing that may be wrong with that is that some states are failing to keep those registers updated so some offenders are not on these list. Where I live here in Tennessee the state has just begun to crack down on offenders and updating the registry. In fact up until a few months ago our registry hadn't been updated since the 90's, way too long for the public to have gone uninformed.

Ledda said:
Monetary, am I right that you're saying we need to start protecting our children by looking out for not only for ours, but our neighbors' kids, our kids' friends, and so on? If so I totally agree.

Yes...that's exactly what I'm saying. There was a time a child could over to their friend's house until their parents got home. Things like that would occur all the time so that the child would not be in the home by themselves.

Cedric Denson said:
"IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD"

What more is there to say? You think children will survive by being raised by their families and ONLY their families. As black folks, we get caught up in the idea that just because a child is not in our family, that means that we do not have to look out for them; they will just have to let their family deal with that. How do you expect us to come together when we are so mentally isolated? We tell our children not to talk to strangers. That means that if a caring parent witnessed a child walking in a bad neighborhood all by themselves, and the parent pulled over to ask the child if they were okay, the child is to ignore them. To me, that is the worse way to raise a child. NOT EVERYONE IS A STRANGER! You mean to tell me that I am STRANGE? WE ARE ALL STRANGE? Just raise children to know who to respond to and who not to, because I certainly right now would tell them NOT to respond to Police like they are friendly.

I'll have much more to say on this topic.

CD

Bruh, you are on point. I feel you...passion and all. But, friends of the family won't be TOTAL strangers to the children. We need more extended family members to look out for our children.

I had a Grandma who knew stuff without leaving her porch. She made friends with a lot of people in the neighborhood. When I was around 15, I had gone to the mall. I wasn't there long but the mall was a distance away from where I lived if you walked by foot...but I walked to the mall with guys in the neighborhood anyway. It was summertime and we didn't have much to do. Well, by the time I got back, my Grandma knew where I was, who I was with, and how long I was there. It HAD to be someone who knew my family and knew me...but I didn't know them. Or maybe I did know them and didn't see them in my travels.

That type of experience happened on several occasions. It kept me honest because my Mama and Grandma knew stuff I swore they couldn't have known unless they were there. They were good. :D BUT, they couldn't have done it unless friends of the family were looking out for their children and grandchildren.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back