Black People : How do we help

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ireadastory, May 11, 2005.

1. Ireadastory

Ireadastory Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    It seems that the news these days are reporting crimes that are done against children and that angers me, as well as some other people I'm sure. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what we as adults can do to protect children and I'm talking to everyone who takes care of children that are not biologically related to the kids in their care as well as us parents.

2. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Ireadastory

I feel you on this. At the beginning of almost every Fall in Detroit, when children go back to school, children start coming up missing or are reported as kidnapped while walking to school. And, for some strange reason, the parents in this city continue letting their children walk to school without some arranged supervision. So, several children are abducted or go missing before parents take precautions. I just don't get it.

I think we can help by making sure they are supervised during the day. Supervision is very important. I know that ALL adults don't have the time to supervise their children. But, you really need to make the necessary arrangement with people whom you trust so that your child can be taken care of.

"It takes a village to raise a child." That saying has more meaning than most think.

3. Ledda

Ledda Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I was about to start a thread about "Precious Doe", the little girl that was beheaded and found in KC,MO near where I used to live. I'm so glad they found the parents who did this to her. It's been very disturbing to me as a parent. I think that everyone who knew this child, care givers, other family members, friends of her family, failed her. (search "Precious Doe" for ore info)

The question was, "How do we help?" This is such a broad subject. I once thought of reporting the parents of a little boy that had two broken arms back to back, his mother saying that he fell but the step-father seemed very verbally abusive to the both of them. I was 16 at the time and told to stay out of it. I believe I can tell when a child is being beaten vs. spanked and if I'm ever faced with that scenario again, I'm going to act. Then there are abductions, missing children, sexual assaults, murders; it's all really scary. I've started viewing the internet for sex offenders in our neighborhood. My cousin gave me this idea after she discovered there were 33 registered sex offenders in her neighborhood.

Monetary, am I right that you're saying we need to start protecting our children by looking out for not only for ours, but our neighbors' kids, our kids' friends, and so on? If so I totally agree.

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    DELETED - SEE ME FOR INPUT

KD

5. Ledda

Ratings:
    +4
    Who's disagreeing with you?

6. Ireadastory

Ratings:
    +9
    All of your points are very valid. I agree with you all on certain aspects. Cedric I do teach my child, not to talk to strangers, however, I do emphasize that a stranger is anyone you don't know. I don't care if they say that they are your cousin do not talk to them unless mommy and daddy says that it is ok. Keep in mind my child is just three so I don't go anywhere that she is not with me right now. I do agree with you Cedric about the lost child and stranger trying to help as a parent how would I explain to my child how to trust her feeling in a case like that?

Monetary- I am with you on your comments nothing gets under my skin more than to see little children walking or waiting on the corner for the school bus without any supervision. Many of them in my neighborhood are not even on the corner they are outright in the street. I believe that the same amount of time taken to concieve on that night when we were throwing down is the same amount of time that can be taken to see our kids and other kids off to school safely.

Ledda - I feel u too. I also check out the Sex Offenders Registry I think that is a wonderful idea. The only thing that may be wrong with that is that some states are failing to keep those registers updated so some offenders are not on these list. Where I live here in Tennessee the state has just begun to crack down on offenders and updating the registry. In fact up until a few months ago our registry hadn't been updated since the 90's, way too long for the public to have gone uninformed.

7. Ledda

Ratings:
    +4
    Unfortunately it's not just sex offenders, it's also people who are intrusted to care for some of these children. I can't imagine what would bring a person to hurt a child, let a lone kill one. Some people have really sick minds. It's painful to hear about and I've decided I'm not going to turn a blind eye toward it anymore.

8. Ireadastory

Ratings:
    +9
    Good for you! I feel the same way. I believe in treating other kids like I treat my own, so if I will spank mine I will definitely spank yours, when I feed mine I will feed yours and in protecting mine I will protect yours.

9. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Yes...that's exactly what I'm saying. There was a time a child could over to their friend's house until their parents got home. Things like that would occur all the time so that the child would not be in the home by themselves.

10. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Bruh, you are on point. I feel you...passion and all. But, friends of the family won't be TOTAL strangers to the children. We need more extended family members to look out for our children.

I had a Grandma who knew stuff without leaving her porch. She made friends with a lot of people in the neighborhood. When I was around 15, I had gone to the mall. I wasn't there long but the mall was a distance away from where I lived if you walked by foot...but I walked to the mall with guys in the neighborhood anyway. It was summertime and we didn't have much to do. Well, by the time I got back, my Grandma knew where I was, who I was with, and how long I was there. It HAD to be someone who knew my family and knew me...but I didn't know them. Or maybe I did know them and didn't see them in my travels.

That type of experience happened on several occasions. It kept me honest because my Mama and Grandma knew stuff I swore they couldn't have known unless they were there. They were good. :D BUT, they couldn't have done it unless friends of the family were looking out for their children and grandchildren.