Black Entertainment : How do we create video game companies in our community?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by blackisbeautiful, Jan 22, 2012.

1. blackisbeautiful

blackisbeautiful Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +77
    Most of our games are either made by whites or Asians. How do we create video game companies for ourselves, where the protagonists are our own skin color?

Remember, video games are a billion dollar business.

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

See Joseph Saulter.

3. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Also....blacks in Gaming.....

4. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    Race centric games = fail. No black man is going to invest a year developing a game just to target a few African American gamers in a highly competitive markets. This is reality.

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Black video/game developers do exist which is why I mentioned Joseph Saulter.

This is not to say they are limited to a single marketplace but that there is a market place which they target.

Just as there are black bookstores and art galleries which deal exclusively with African/African American art and print media.

6. bingiedred

bingiedred Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +242
    I think video games can be a great distraction and a waste of time for our youth,......unless they are based on some educational aspect, but I have yet to see that.

7. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    As an Indie game developer and a programmer, I can only say you couldn't be more wrong. Wasting an obsessive amount of time playing games is bad; but familiarity with the virtual world and ability to interact with virtual objects is an asset. Anyone who won't be able to interact with virtual objects will be considered as a dead weight to the society in 20 years time or so. People may not realize this but the virtualization of reality has already started.

Back to topic
    I reckon a black game developer should care more about niche platform (like what platform should I release my game, Android? iphone, Ipad? PC?) rather than focusing on race issue. Video game is the wrong platform for racial matters.

8. blackisbeautiful

blackisbeautiful Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +77
    Congrats on being an Indie game developer. When I get more money, I would pay you to make games for the company I am trying to build. I would use my own knowledge of marketing to help get the games out to the community.

As for racial matters, part of the problem is the media we're exposed to. Black men (and women that like video games), need media they can acquire without putting more money in the white or Asian man's pocket. If we start our own gaming company, we can give our people the entertainment they need while giving ourselves a piece of the pie.

Do you have a website showcasing your game? I'd be interested in playing/buying, etc. to see your talents. Being able to make video games is a VERY serious talent.

9. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Precisely. African folk need to stop trying to be European folk. Cultural liberation is of the utmost.

Who said it--that though Japan can create skyscrapers, they put their skill toward their traditional buildings?

Meanwhile, every African city looks like New York--and we wonder why we are failing?

10. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Then use whatever tool available with no apology. The greeks weren't necessarily trying to be like afrikans when they took ideas/concepts attained from their interaction with us nor have did they apologize, so. I'm not big on video games either, however, I view them like I view science-fi/advanture/action movies where we are the adventurers supernaturals and world class agent/assassins.

Nothing wrong with taking from the intellectual heritage of the whole world. The problem may
    arrive when we don't give it our 'texture'.