Black People : How Do We Become Proactive?

Oh, YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy69...you are so right!!! I applaud your passion and your articulate dissertation. Self-love people!!! That's where it starts!!! Love who you are and open your EYES!!! I'm happiest when I'm around my own people; there's no question about it. There's something to be said when you don't have to explain yourself all the time or defend your existence. Why is it that we're always made to feel "different" no matter where we are...boardroom or washroom, it's the same. Don't you get tired of being the token and spokesperson for your race when you're around other people not like you? I know I do. I'm not a racist but I am discriminating. I fight these battles every day and when I go home, I don't want to fight there too. Yes, when are we going to figure out this thing called "racism"? When are we going to take a stand for ourselves and ourselves alone? When are we going to stop believing the hype and thinking we have arrived at a better place and time since there are a few laws on the books that have allowed us to maneuver in the white communities? Now that the conservatives have launched a successful attack on affirmative action, soon, that too will come to an end. The white man is the greatest mind pimp on the planet but we don't have to live his lies. Why can't we stand strong in our own convictions and rebuke that bs? Look at our families. Look at how we treat one another? How can we be so kind and tolerant of others and not to ourselves? When you see another Black face at your workplace, on the street, in a movie or commercial on television...what thoughts run through your minds? Why are we so quick to give our hard earned money away instead of keeping it longer in our own communities? We give our inventions away, we give our athleticism away, we break our backs and sweat for others, hoping to be noticed and treated kindly. We take our meager paychecks home and what do we do with them, where do we spend the money? When we don't get what we think we fairly deserve, most of us walk away quietly and deny, deny, deny that anything is wrong and heaven forbid if anything is wrong, that it could possibly be due to racism, right? We take that anger and frustration that has built up throughout a work week home with us on Friday night and spread it in our communities and our households. We spit the venom at each other. Husbands and wives argue, children often go neglected in terms of receiving emotional support. For the regular churchgoers, we try to get some relief on Sundays during a sermon, then we wake up Monday morning, jump back in the rat race and do it all over again...and again....and again. Black people have purchasing power but where do we usually spend our money? Certainly not in our communities like the Jews and Asians. Every Black person, rich or poor, light-skinned or dark, at some point in life will be looked at the same. The outcome doesn't have to be as bad as the current condition. There is salvation and it's within each of us. Read, learn, talk to each other, support, grow, develop a vision and purpose and act!

Wondering

I agree totally with the self-love and being proactive in our effort to become stronger as a race. I am, however, wondering how and why does the racial make up of the community prevent us from being the best that we can be. Of coiurse I understand being more comfortable around your own. But to answer the question Queen...no I never get tired of being the spokesperson for my race. Number one...I feel I am a good representative ...Number two...It is not a fight for me, it is growth... and Number three...I should be free to feel comfortable ANYWHERE I AM. The problem is that many of us do not have enough self-esteem, self-love, and strength to face our own faults with an open mind and the spirit of growth.

How does immigration affect us? Why does should it matter to us who moves into our country as long as they don't mean us any harm? If we focus on us (where all of our problems come from) and stop focusing on what others think of us or are doing to us THEN we can become proactive and affect real change...intellectualy, econmically and spirtually.

Dre, responding to a portion of what you wrote: "To answer the question Queen...no I never get tired of being the spokesperson for my race. Number one...I feel I am a good representative ...Number two...It is not a fight for me, it is growth... and Number three...I should be free to feel comfortable ANYWHERE I AM."

Well frankly, I get very tired of ignorant people wanting me to be the poster child for the Black race. I deal with this every day due to the nature of my work which is in the area of civil rights. People who don't want to become educated, who want to remain perpetually ignorant, constantly asking questions about us like we were aliens from another planet. Yes, I get tired and most days I refuse to "teach" people what it's like to be Black in America. Growth? I'm very comforable in my skin, it's some White people who aren't comfortable being around people like me, and that becomes a problem in the real world. I agree that you should feel comfortable ANYWHERE you are. I don't think anyone in their right mind that you ask would deny that they don't feel the same way. But let's be honest...everywhere you are isn't always a comfortable place to be regardless of how we feel. Sometimes in order to achieve that level of comfort that we seek and feel we deserve, we have to fight for it. The world just isn't as perfect as we would like for it to be and there are those among us who are more passive or who feel powerless to do anything to make things better. My approach may be different and I might be a bit more radical in my thinking than some but I believe that sometimes in order to grow, you have to fight for what you believe is right. And I mean that figuratively and literally. Maybe we need to adopt some of the strategies used in the military where there are different units skilled in different areas and deployed for special purposes. That way, maybe all of us, representing different limbs, can be useful to the entire body.

I understand Queen but my question is what are you fight for. Are you fighting for them to all of a sudden become less ignorant or for them to treat us as equals? The fact is neigher is going to happen in our lifetime and frankly i could care less. Their ignorance only affects me if they mean me bodily harm. They can't touch my mind, my spirit, or my resolve to be the best person i can be mentally, physically, spiritually, and financially.

Dre'

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back