How do u spell R-E-L-I-E-F from STRESS ???

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Akilah, May 4, 2004.

1. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Don't delete for that reason

Sister Akilah, it's unfortunate that you deleted your comments that sparked this thread because no one replied. I've learned that sometimes, eventually, people come around and do, like me.

Although I don't know what direction you were taking the discussion, I believe that this is a very important topic for us to discuss because more and more of us--adults and children--are suffering from negative stress.

Stress is mentioned in other threads here and I recall it being the topic of discussion in one of our most well attended Sister Chats recently. During that discussion series we learned how harmful negative stress can be to our health and discovered several reasons that can cause stress.

Many of the situations that we face on a day-to-day basis weigh down on us, from the simple to the complex. Our interactions with others can cause stress. We can stress ourselves when our expectations may be unreasonably high of others and ourselves.

In terms of RELIEF--we talked about a variety of ways and means we can implement to help relieve us of stressful situations. Some of the more obvious things we can do for physical stress are taking relaxing baths, physical exercises and body massages. For the mind--meditation and prayer, discovering quiet time absent of external noises and interruptions. Some not so obvious remedies could be learning how to speak up and out about things that disturb us and not hold things inside. Becoming more politically active to counter racism and unequal treatment. Making a conscious and deliberate effort to separate ourselves from people who bring negative energy into our lives because it drains you.

Those are just a few things I think we can do to spell relief from negative stress.

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

3. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I relieve stress with ESTRO-JANE.

But alot of times I usually be solo because basking with the folks who give it can be a difficult process.

4. Akilah

Ratings:
    +36
    Thank you so much Sister Queenie and Brother Manasia for responding to the thread :thanks:

Queenie, I know that you are right... I shouldn't have been so hasty to delete it, but I just figured that folk weren't interested in the topic.

Basically what I had asked is for folk to list some of the techniques that they personally, or somebody that they know well, use to reduce stress in
    this harried existence :uhoh: we call life ... with an emphasis on the positive and healthsome.

Much Thanks,
    Akilah :sand:

5. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56

:jumping: Well ifen you still be axing...for it me it's meditation...deep meditation in the bible. There is a power in this which can not be describe with words. I also enjoy going to the park by the ocean with my pitbull, Noah. He enjoys swimming and chasing sea gulls and I must admit, it is so relaxing to watch him enjoy the simplicity of a thing called life.

Joyce

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true,
    Whatever things are noble,
    Whatever things are just,
    Whatever things are pure,
    Whatever things are lovely,
    Whatever things are of good report,
    If there is any virtue and
    If there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things.
    The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me,
    These do, and the God of peace will be with you. :spinn:

Philippians 4:8-9

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    for me it's quiet time alone and relaxing in a deep mental state of mind
    releasing all the stress.........And a little prayer always help u along

7. Akilah

Ratings:
    +36
    Wonderfullllllllllllll !!! Thank you Sister Joyce and Brother Rich...

Yes, I have also found meditation and prayer to be invaluable. Thinking about this universe that our Father in heaven has created and realizing how small ( but not insignificent ) we are in comparison is just the reality check I need at times; and just meditating on the completeness of His goodness and mercy... it is truly awesome :luvv:

Much Thanks,
    Akilah :star:

8. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Brother Manasiac, you are truly unique! Estro-Jane? Coming from you, it's good to see that she is good for at least relieving stress! :lol:

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

9. sistahisis

sistahisis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    --->if you take a shower/bath at night, use tea candles instead of a light bulb for illumination. i find the soft, flickering lights to be extremely relaxing.

--->you could forget about your every day stress by losing yourself in a good fiction/science fiction book

--->meditation has already been suggested

--->you could hang out at a park and people watch or make up stories about folks who pass by you

10. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    1. Prayer
    2. Meditation
    3. Taking up yoga (anyone have advice for this? Best videos? Etc?)
    4. Writing poetry
    5. Playing silly games with my son (he's 7 months)
    6. If all else fails, lock myself in the bathroom for a long, bubbly soak blasting Miles Davis with the phone ringer turned off, get out, watch sappy movies on TV, eat apple chips, and go to sleep.