Black People : How do I use indentation, change the shape, etc. for my writings.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by deepy, Apr 1, 2004.

1. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    Dear Destee family
    treat me as tho i were 2...but I do not know how to put my poetry into anyother shape . I try indenting and voila it goes to the next line ..i want to start in the middle of the page...and voila it goes to the left side..everything is lined up. I want to quote and put in those boxes and i don't know how to do it.. I really have a hard time in the techno world.
    all information on the various ways i can put things down would be beyond helpful.
    How do you get other colors...(i finally figured out how to use and get those different similes(icons?) ...don't laugh at me..or do I don't care just give me the info...
    thanks.

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Ahhhh deepy, you are so lucky to have me respond to this first 'cause I am also technically challenged! :lol: BUT...I do know a few things such as, to change your font style and colors of your text, just click on any of the drop down menus located underneath the "Title" above the text box and choose what you want to do. You will also see other options there that will allow you to
    center​
    your text, or adjust it to the left or right of your text page, indent, bullit, etc. and other features as well. Play around with it and see what happens. For Smilies, :spin: look over to the right side of the text box and either select from those shown or click [More] at the bottom left of that same box and open up a whole host of other options in which to choose from. Whenever you want to use them in your text, just click on them and they will be inserted automatically. Hopefully this information is helpful. Good luck! :teach: :geek:

3. Captain Ray

Captain Ray Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ferryman
    Ratings:
    +0
    :martian: I havn't tried it here, but usually, it works pretty well.. just make a small .gif file.. a blank space, and use it at the beginning of your <p>

:look: Or, if you want to be creative, Use a smilie! In fact, If the admin of this board wanted to, I am sure he/she could put a "blank" in the smilie list for that purpous.

Raymond

4. deepy

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    kQueen
    some wonderful person is trying to help me figure all of this out
    i still don't understand what i'm doing but i am working on it​

captain ray
    did you notice i said treat me like i was two? i have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

queen...i now know i have to go to enhanced mode to begin center things
    I guess i am looking to create my own poetic shapes on paper and i still don't know if i can do that..sometimes i don't want to be centered...but
    i will keep working..​
    now i am trying left justified(what ever the words are)
    but when i preview all of this...it comes oout the same ...all on the left..
    i am confused
    but i am working on it​

5. deepy

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    SISTAH QUEEN
    i am learning i am slow, but i am learning​
    ]things seem to be getting a little better
    but doesn't it stop the flow
    adding these techno things inthe midst of writing?​
    now i am trying a different font
    and color, but I don't find the process easy
    and maybe because it is new to me...but it really does stop my mental process a little...we have voice chat...can we get some more user friendly'techno ways...or am i missing something that allows me to l-do these comands more easily
    or do them after i have completed my writing? one more thing...the preview does not show what i have done...i onl

6. Captain Ray

Ferryman
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe you just arent closing your tags. I hate UBB.. it makes HTML seem simple, and anybody who thinks HTML is simple is just making fun of me! LOL

Raymond

7. Captain Ray

Ferryman
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not familiar with this font. Lucida Console... hmmm.. well, lets see what it looks like.

Raymond

8. deepy

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    captain ray..
    remember? I am a baby here..a baby...not yet three and you keep making me go what? where? closing my tags? UBB?
    I couldn't even get Lucida Console...was that it when you signed your name Raymond? I have an IMac...My daughter said destee's system is not user friendly...especially for me..

9. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    This never works for me either ... all i get is the regular print with all the commands in parenthesis.... HELP !!!

10. Captain Ray

Ferryman
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not hard. Legend has it that it can even be done on an IMac! But I can neither confirm nor deny that rumour!

Tags (the ubb codes) in most cases must be opened and closed.

I will substitute { and } in place of the brackets [ ] so you can see what it is that I am doing.

If I am trying to make the color change to something other than the default for the board, I simply type:
    Code:
    {color=red}[color=red]the text in between the tags will change color[/color]{/color}

So if you noticed, what tells the computer that you want to end the effect, and return to the boards default is the / mark in the second tag. The / mark "closes" the tag.

And so it is with almost all tags. In fact, I think in UBB it is always the case, there are exceptions in HTML.

So changing the font is just as easy.

Code:
    {font=lucida sans}{color=green}{b}{i}
    [font=lucida sans][color=green][b][i]the text should now be written with the new font, green, bold, and italicized![/i][/b][/color][/font]
    {/i}{/b}{/color}{/font}

Now that may seem a little difficult, but it's not really. I just did several different inline effects to one small bit of text. I did want to give you an example of "nesting" the tags though. Notice that each tag closes in the same order as it was opened. So the Font tag closes last, and the I tag closes first. That's pretty important in getting it all to work.

It is important to close each tag so that the browser can make the relationship between what you told it to do, and what must be done. It is kind of like if you tell your dog to fetch, but don't throw the ball.. the dog will just look at you like "what???"

I hope that is helpful, and I am making any kind of sense! It really is kind of fun when you start playing with it.

Raymond