Pan Africanism : how do Continentals feel about non tribe people?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by jamesfrmphilly, May 13, 2005.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    curious.
    how do the highly tribal Africans feel l about people (AAs) who have no tribe at all?
    are we better or worse than people from another tribe to them?

2. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    This question doesn't really make sense. A 'tribe' is just an ethnic group, Black Americans, Italians, French, you could consider all those ethnic groups to be 'tribes', 'tribe' just refers to 'primitive' ethnic group.

3. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    you say there are no tribes in Africa?
    then what are they fighting about?

4. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    Lol, most of us aren't fighting and I was pointing out the racist and Eurocentric origins of the term 'tribe' itself. There are African 'tribes' larger than European countries. A 'tribe' is just an ethnic group,we were distinct ethnic groups with our own languages, religions and cultures prior to colonialism so now people just think 'africans' or 'nigerians' 'ghanaians' 'congolese' ( all these borders except for Ethiopia being set up by colonialists) etc., or like we're going out of our way to be 'tribal' when Europeans have never identified as 'Europeans' except when it came to banding together to dominate people of color., Black Americans are an ethnic group, so are the Italians, French, German, Native Americans (more than one Native American group of course, they weren't 'Native Americans' prior to colonialism ), Arab, Dutch etc. I may understand what you meant in your question now if what you meant was 'how do Africans feels about Black Americans as opposed to fellow Africans of different tribes' and I still think it was a weird question. Obviously an African is going to identify with another African of a different tribe before a diasporan Black, I would think, if they even took 'tribe' into consideration or not ( which I have never even seen in my own experiences ), and if he/she was a tribalist then how would they be for pan-African unity if they weren't for African unity? Tell me if I'm wrong, but you may as well have asked what do Africans think about Black Americans period.

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    well each African has a defined ethnic group or tribe.

i guess my ethnic group is African American so i have a tribe too.
    it's just another permutation on why you guys hate on us so much.
    i'm wondering about that too.

6. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    "well each African has a defined ethnic group or tribe."

Correct.

"i guess my ethnic group is African American so i have a tribe too."

I would agree.

"it's just another permutation on why you guys hate on us so much."

Come again. All this time, so many Africans are convinced it's Black Americans who hate us! You learn something new everyday.

"i'm wondering about that too."

I'm still wondering.

7. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Pan Africa and others have told me that many Africans find the word "tribe" offensive.

I've heard this from native Americans as well.

Personally I just think of the word "tribe" as synonymn for "ethinic group".

AfroAmericans I believe are a tribe unto ourselves.

8. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I could understand that. Most people are thinking of something primitive when you use the term tribe.

However, people do need to be more accepting of ALL cultures in the human spectrum. The reason why 'tribe' is offensive to some is because it's associated with a lifestyle white culture considers shameful, savage, and ignorant. This is wrong. We have got to embrace all aspects of our original ancestry, including those who are or were 'tribal.'

Of course, I'm not advocating calling people 'tribal' who aren't in a culture like that. My main thing is we've got to analyze the underlying issues. We need to purge the feelings that cause us to view being 'tribal' as an insult.

9. Kwango_Likemba

Kwango_Likemba Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +11
    Mboté na yo (hi!) Brother (tata) Jamesfrmphilly,

I understand your concern. The US is your country, it is where your ancestors where transported from Senegal, Mali, Ghana, Nigeria, Chad, Angola, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Niger, Benin, Togo, etc. although they were not known as these states at this time. That results in you having several ethnic group heritages. Many African ethnicities are in you, so I think you are given the opportunity to choose the group of people you have emotional strings attachment. It is said when you are driven by something, it is a subliminal knowledge of your past life experience, or a magnetic pull of your former personalities. Your spirit or consciousness might feel the urge to be attached to Africa, and driven to adopt a particular African society because there might be a strong attraction to your siblings there...

Also, Europeans kidnapped your ancestors, brought them here like animals and were evil masters. No Africans built forts and castle along the coast of West Africa. No Africans shipped your ancestors to the New World; please correct me if I am wrong. The atrocities committed by Whites during the slave trade is no secret and it is in my opinion one of the worst human rights crime in modern day history. Every Black American, West Indian and Black South American should know how awful their forefathers were treated by their evil masters, not by Africans!

You are the only group of our folks having the advantage to claim ethnic ties to which ever African region you want. And I do think that you as a people should help continentals deal with “tribalism,” and please bear in mind, it was (and still is) fostered by Western powers to stimulate the internal ethnic jalousies so as to keep us form dealing with our principal problem: EURO-AMERICAN SUMPREMACY.

I also don’t like to use primitive terms talking about continentals. I agree with Brother African Prince with the fact that the word “tribe” set standards for a backward connotation. The Baluba people in the DRC were never “savage,” neither the Batéké, the Bakuba, nor the Bakongo. The tribalism in Central Africa, with the most-hate filled and virulent supporters you see, is precisely an effort of the Europeans! Western nations are eager partners of hostile ethnic groups. Take the examples of how they support the corrupt and criminal governments in Sudan and Uganda stricly controlled by specific ethnic group. And the dreadful Tutsi Paul Kagame is their new protégé, no Western diplomat would acknowledge his war (COUNTER-EXTERMINATION) killing millions of Hutu refugees and Congolese people in the RDC.

Beyond the stereotypes, that’s why we continentals massacre each other Brother Jamesfrmphilly, that’s why we suffer, and it goes unnoticed. African Americans are washed, or dispossessed of such patriotism. I believe with all my heart your brotherhood can stabilize Africa.

10. yaphet al-wynn

yaphet al-wynn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Maybe I am wrong. I personally heard SOME Africans refer to their group as a 'nation' instead of tribe. Similar to what Native Americans did here.Let me know-one way or the other. I do not mean to offend. As I said some Africans I've ran into phrased it that way.