Black Spirituality Religion : How Do Atheists Feel About Non-Abrahamic "Religions"?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by SAMURAI36, Mar 9, 2014.

1. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Whenever I hear/read atheists' views on religion, they are usually commenting on the God of the Bible, and/or the 3 Abrahamic religions: Judiasm, Christ-insanity, and Islam. Rarely do I ever hear where atheists are addressing non-Abrahamic beliefs, like Buddhism, or Taoism, or African beliefs.

I share in the atheist perspective against the Abrahamic faiths. IMO, they are destructive and non-sensical.

However, as an adherent of African spiritual beliefs, which are not "theistic" in nature, but rather deistic, where does the line get drawn for atheists?

The word "atheist" means "not theist". Thus, since I am more deist than anything, technically I could be considered "atheist" as well.

Any thoughts?

2. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    For me, it doesn't matter if they're Abrahamic or not.

I find the same short-comings when someone tries to pass them off as literal truth instead of myth, philosophy, and/or literature.

Do they vary in influence or negative things they've contributed to human history? Sure, but I'm not about to base my life entirely on any of them blindly.

3. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Okay, so can you list some short comings that you have found with, say.... Buddhism? Or Kemetic spirituality?

Yes, to blindly follow anything is absurd. But that is not in contention here. My question is more along the lines of careful inspection of various spiritual systems.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    how many african traditional religions have you studied? perhaps you are already blind?

5. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Buddhist has countless permutations, but the founding cosmology is pretty terrible.

As far as Kemetic spirituality is concerned, it's going to have to get more specific, but I have not encountered anything substantial enough to make me consider it a perfect and universal truth. From the different versions I have seen, I've encountered whacky things like considering human beings as nothing more than energy and asserting governing agency in the Universe as well.

Do you have any spiritual systems you believe would stand up to science or reason any better than the big three do?

6. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Point out one that gets the basics of the Universe right and holds up to scrutiny better than the Abrahamic religions. Don't worry. I'll wait....

7. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Why is that his responsibility, when you were the one that stated

Thus, the onus is upon you to prove those short comings, since you are the one that has observed them.

8. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    For example? You're giving alot of generalizations here.

Such as??? And what "different versions" have you seen, and analyzed?

I don't "believe" anything. But, you are attempting to turn the question around on me, without properly answering it yourself, when it was first posed to you.

How much of Buddhism and Kemetic spirituality in particular have you personally studied?

9. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399

I just provided you with two examples. The reason most Atheist probably don't talk about all of these other religions is because they're probably not as relevant as the larger faiths that have more Abrahamic beliefs.

And in general, the fault with religious faith isn't completely coupled with the individual details of each faith. The problem is in the way of thinking.

10. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Actually, you didn't. I need specific examples. Can you cite some literature in particular?

There are over a half billion Buddhists on the planet. There are nearly 1.5 billion Hindus on the earth How is that not relevant?

This is yet another cryptic, non-descript response. What "ways of thinking" are you referring to, from the two specific spiritual systems that I named?