Black People : How Did "Country" Become "Hood"?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Metaverse, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Oct 13, 2006
    +424 / -0

Sometimes it does take someone who is looking from the outside-in to point out some of the ideas we have about ourselves here in America. Just recently a Native African Business Partner asked me a question that I really had to sit back and think about. The question was simple. Why do so many Blacks in America say they are from the "Ghetto" or the "Hood" when they are actually from the Country? I had to think about that one, because first- I didn't realize we were doing that, and second I didn't realize there was a difference.

But indeed there is.

So let's break it down for those of us still in the dark about this concept. Some of us are lucky enough to actually be in the country or have family members from the country. The country is just rural, it's a non-city environment. People sometimes walk to the local store with no shoes on, chickens are crossing the roads, pigs, cows etc. Houses are divided by miles and miles of land. The South in America is known for allot of rural Black areas. Now the question is how did "country" become "hood?" Because not all rural areas are ghettos or hoods. In fact most country folk can't stand the hood, and most hood folks can't stand the country. So how did they become synonymous?

Is it because everyone wants to pretend they are from some big bad city Like New York- Chicago- or Compton? Should we really call New Orleans the Hood? "Hood" is slang for inner city. Concrete and clusters of buildings is one it's main attractions. And if you see a chicken crossing the road in the Hood, most likely her Pimp is chasing her.

Hood is Hood. Country is Country. But why does it matter. So what if Black folks from the country want to be Hood, Ghetto or "from the streets?" It could be because life in the inner cities seems so much more exciting. But, this thing is- just because you live in the country- doesn't mean you live in the ghetto. That's just country life. We don't realize this all the time but a wider majority of African culture in America was raised on the country lifestyle and not the lifestyle of the inner cities. Could this be why so many of us in the inner cities are killing each other? We keep asking for our 40 acres and a mule- but again- that's country life.

There are in fact a few sovereign and independent Black folks in America that we may never hear about as often because such an independence is only possible in country. We worry about being placed into concentration camps, but that's what most inner cities have become.

Is this the Hood? Or are we not as "gullible" as we should be...