Black Entertainment : How come?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Nisa, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Okay..why are females that are in the acting field are referred to as actors now instead of actresses? That puzzles me because I see it all the time now.

2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    It is just sexist jargon that has entrenched itself into the realm of acting, and to be honest with you, It will not be leaving any time soon.

However, people usually use the word in a unisex context when speaking. For Example:

The actor Denzel Washington appeared in Out of Time, with the actress Sanna Lathan (Typo On Name).

However when used in a plural form, the noun looses gender:

The actors in Out of Time were a great cast.

It just some good ole english, nothing too worry about. But I do understand your point.

3. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16

Nisa

Okay..why are females that are in the acting field are referred to as actors now instead of actresses?

For the same reason when they're giving reports on the war in Iraq, "casualties" now only mean "deaths" instead of both the deaths and injuries as it did in the past.

For the same reason the media makes a distinction between how many "soldiers" died in Iraq verse how many "Marines" died...as if Marines weren't soldiers.

They are trying to dumb down the public and keep us thoroughly confused thorugh deception.

4. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Ok..thanks for the input.

5. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    My Man Ra, the term Actor in a non sex sense was used before the media had any influence

I hate to disagree my brother, but the Media is not trying to decieve people by using non-sexual nouns for example:

Waiters
    Bikers
    Drivers
    Soldiers
    Hairdressers
    People

Usually a plural noun in the english language does not have a gender too it. In a-lot of other languages however there is a gender for each plural noun