Black People : How come unemployment rate is still high for Blacks?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, Aug 4, 2011.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    I keep hearing/reading that unemployment rate is going down, but then in other articles or broadcasts it's, the unemployment rate remains at a high for Blacks.

Is this the government's way of still trying to keep us down?

2. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Sis MsInterpret, Since our (blacks) unemployment rate has always be higher than that of others..it stands to reason that as the
    unemployment rate for all others rises, so does ours!:( Have a great day!

3. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    We as a race have always been at the bottom on this subject, and the economy tanking, only made our situations worse.
    IMO, the government can't mandate that we get hired by anyone anymore, since affirmative action has really become a
    thing of the past.

4. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    Not totaly to blame but a good amount, and the Black caucus has demanded that job opportunites get "bailed out" the way banks and finance corporations have , been.

1 Since integration we have depened on employment outside our community
    2 We have never acted seriously on Collective Black economics
    3 The erosion of afirmative action, not only effected the grwoth of revitalized Jim Crow racism in hiring, it revitalized Jim Crow racism,
    in lending to Blck busineses,even with AAA credit raings, and discouraged new endeavors
    4 The destruction of Glass Steagal, devestated the banks and finance market, that hired millions of white collar black employees
    5 GATT and NAFTA outsourced the incomes of millions of Black union factory workers
    6 The removal of shop classes from high schools, which provide in many cases enough skill to become aprentice in trade unions
    7 The exhorbitant, almost
    private school cost per credit of what used to be free municipal colleges
    8 The privatization of what used to be civil service jobs

5. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    To see a significant decrease in the unemployment rate for Black people, we must have an increase in the number of businesses owned by Black people who will hire Black people.
    Peace

6. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Do you have anything that would substaintiate your claim that Black businesses with AAA credit ratings have problems securing funding for new endeavors? I don't have any idea what my businesses credit rating is, but I have a banking relationship that I can get funding relatively easy usually with a phone call. I would be surprised to see a well established, well run Black business with AAA credit ratings not have simular relationships or at least the resourcefulness to find lenders eager to do business with them.

7. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    How many here are willing to leave the comfort of a steady pay check and venture out into the entreprenureal reality of trying to build a profitable business that hire Black people as opposed to the best people available for the job regardless of race? I am sure this question might provoke some criticism, but if you haven't staked your livelyhood on a business that you are trying to make a political statement with, you really aren't in a position to criticize those who are in the trenches building businesses that they have risked their finacial security and well being.

8. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    If I were to run my own business I would have to hire someone who is qualified, race does not determine ones qualifications. But had it come down to two people, one person being black and the other non-black and both having the same qualifications, I may just choose the black person....maybe.

9. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    We as Black people should be entreprenuers or willing to outperform our competitors in the search for employment. We have to seek excellence and understand the reality of what we face and the fact that we are not playing on a level playing field. All the crying, moaning and groaning in the world won't do anything to change that. We have to understand and acknowledge the stereotypes we face and either avoid those by making our own living/job/livelyhood. If we are gonna be dependent upon entities outside our community for jobs, we have to realize that we have to compete and bring something to the table better than those that we compete against and realize that in some cases, even that won't get us in the door.

But our strength comes in knowing that if one company doesn't hire us, it is their loss, not ours. Because if they don't capitalize upon the value that we bring to the table, their competitor will. If you can walk away from a job interview feeling this way, you will probably be receiving a phone call very shortly offering you a job.

10. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    All things being the same, I know I would choose the Black person. White people have this advantage in most cases where the employer is White, so I don't mind giving the Black person the advantage in this case.