Black People : How come skin color matters so much to african american

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Jackee, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Jackee

Jackee Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Do it matter whether you are dark skinned, brown, yellow, tan, etc.
    If you have grandparents from the south don't that make us all african in america.

My mother side of the family hated me because I wasnt dark enough, and my father side of the family hated me because I wasn't light enough. There was no middle for me. I had to deal with the hate for 18 years until I was able to get a place of my own, and when I turned 18 I ran out the house.The only reason I haven't fell short of going into the crazy house is because of prayer, teaching myself how to treat others as I would like to be treated.That was many years ago. So if my hair is curly, straiht wavy braided, etc. I'm still an african in america.

How come skin colors and how I do my hair matters so much to african american

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
  3. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Unfortunately, some of us still have a plantation mentality. We never received mass therapy for the mentacide we were afflicted; therefore, the stigma will continue to plague our community until each and every afflicted person makes a conscious decision to put an end to the madness. Prayer won't eliminate it, chatting on message boards won't, etc. This is where the "man in the mirror" concept becomes handy. No, we won't experience a mass epiphany of biblical proportions. In the same manner we became afflicted, is the only way it will be eradicated: ONE BY ONE... This however is nothing new, and a milestone we should have reached decades ago, so I'm not partial to discussing stagnant issues of our community, since I KNOW that we KNOW what needs to be done, as far as this particular concern you raised.

You are as beautiful as you allow yourself to be, and I see the beauty in you radiating through the anger you harbor regarding this issue. Now that you've had first-hand experience (family), you ought to be a strong enough person to surmount all the naysayers and prevail in the long-run. Kudos.

Peace

4. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
  5. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209
    A tried and true universal code to live by, you must be destined for an important role involving leadership. Everything happens for a reason and there is a reason for everything.:qqb014:
    :peace:

6. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    why cause the african-american

has been chewed up and spit out over and over again

to the point where they (us) concern ourselves with the superficial

good appearance is great but not when you criticize your own people

for being um people yes it's crazy, like you were saying you're not dark

enough, not light enough, those people are lost, trust me

they don't understand what is really important

but most of all these peoples' conscious has been rendered to a state of

paranoia by falling victim to believing in white supremacy to the point where they have

lost sight of their own existence

this is also in line with the enemy that doesn't need to create chaos of your

existence, we do a great job of hurting each other without their help now

i don't know if i gave you a good idea of what i'm trying to say

but maybe if you come to my chat on Wednesday here @Destee.com @8pm

maybe i can put it into scenario for you

7. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    i think spicy said it better than i did

:flamet: peace under fire of course lol

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Jackee,

What you have outlined above concerning your skin color is very similar to the problems a white lady explained her bi-racial daughter was having. However, the daughter had contemplated suicide. This occurred a couple weeks ago at my book signing. Needless to say, they purchased the book and enjoyed it. I would encourage you to review the link at the bottom of this page and do the same. I lament at what you had to endure.

God Bless and Godspeed!

9. Jackee

Jackee Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you KWABENA for the link. I didn't mean to post the same topic again. I was just so sad because I went up North for a special event for my sisters and the love just wasn't there. So I won't be going up there again or at least for awhile because it's not fair, and I'm tried.

I don't know what to call it spicybrown, I have had extensive studies in African American history and no race have ever exchange so much love as ours, but that is what is written. On a personal level it is rough

Hi da street, I would like to come to chat it is just that I go to bed early, because I have to get up earlier. I do feel all the love right now, and I was crying for a hug, and got more then I ever hope for. :)

You are right hiphopolx that is where I got my strength that all things have a reason. That I'm not a mistake as other have told me. And I'm involve in programs in helping children to develop and strengthen there self esteem. My motto is "Be a friend to you."

I never told anyone this Clyde Coger, but I have tried to take my life, I got all these pills, Instead of going into a peace comma like I seen on TV, I got sick and I vomit it all from my body. And the Good Lord Knows I hate to vomit. So my life was spared, I was a teenager then. I'm so happy I finally open up. There is a reason for everything. And I just order your book. Thank you

:luvv:

10. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    Thank God for knowledge......

Wow Jackee I am sorry for the things you had to endure. I have heard similar stories from other bi-racial people as well. Even though I have heard this and read this and seen these stories on TV; I must admit that when I was a youngster in school I experienced the opposite. Many of the bi-racial kids in our school acted a tad superior over us (black kids) because they were lighter and had long, wavy hair. Hearing these stories now makes me think back and I'm wondering if what I and others perceived as a superior attitude was really just a front so they wouldn't be ostricized more than they obviously were at home. I had a bi-racial friend whose mother was shunned from her entire family because she married a black man. How unfortunate this all is in the grand scheme of things considering we are all of ONE blood. I am glad you are finding peace and strength in a turbulent world and may God bless you...... :)