Black Christians : How Christianity gave us gay marriage

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... True or False, Family?

How Christianity gave us gay marriage
    The American fight for equality began with distinctly Christian precepts

[​IMG]
    Tocqueville knew that equality was inevitable. (adoc-photos/Corbis)

The suggestion sounds ludicrous: How could Christianity be responsible for the all-but-assured triumph of the movement for gay marriage? Aren't the most committed Christians the most passionate defenders of traditional marriage and hence the most ardent opponents of permitting gay couples to marry?

http://theweek.com/article/index/256556/how-christianity-gave-us-gay-marriage

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  2. willa

willa Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +301
    What kind of Christianity would you call people who would say the Lord is for Gay marriage? Would I be disrespectful of Gay feelings? No.
    But, if I were to answer the question d0es the Lord support gay marriage? No.

All Christians claim to believe the scriptures, teaching that we are the spirit children of God, our Father. God created male and female in his image, MANkind. There is purpose for this: The first commandment is to be fruitful and have children. So a couple of the same sex break the the very first commandment. Now having said this, I know the Lord would have kind feelings toward the gay couple who strive to follow the Lord in every other way. However disobedience brings a certain consequence of many degrees or levels, so in this case where our Father says the man is not without the woman nor the woman without the man in the Lord. The scriptures are very serious about this. Heavenly Father wants us all to return to his presence.

Also, all our spirit brothers and sisters want to be born and not be left behind. There's that purpose again.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

This is a Study forum. I ask the following question related to the title; How Christianity gave us gay marriage

... True or False, Family?

Presumably, the article would be read before asking and answering a question that is neither in the title nor the initial post ...

So, is it true or false that Christianity gave us gay marriage?

4. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +865
    Christians pick and choose what they WANT to follow in their book. Christians are about proselytizing and collecting tithes. They can do that to/with gay people. They aren't about to send folks out the door with money in their pockets.....

5. willa

United States
    Ratings:
    +301
    Christ is the God Christians claim they follow. He says gay marriage is false doctrine. How do I know this because it's in the Bible. Shall I prove it?

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Yes, prove it ... But first, thanks for following the study format.

Let's see what you got in terms of scripture to support gay marriage is a false doctrine.

Also, here's a question for you. Please explain why you always make this statement, or one similar:

"Christ is the God Christians claim they follow"

My concern has to do with your use frequent use of the word claim. For instance, I'm a christian and a believer in the Word of God, explicitly.

7. willa

United States
    Ratings:
    +301
    Well the first and most obvious example is that Adam was given a woman as a companion/wife, even taken from his rib… then he commanded them to bring forth children. And "what God hath joined together let not man put asunder." Deut. 24: 16

"Let every every man have his own wife and every woman have her own husband." Rom. 7: 2

Also, symbolically speaking, Christ is the husband and the church is his bride. So what need have we of two Christs? and what need has two congregations without a Lord? The Lord and the congregation are one, like the husband and the wife are one flesh, as proven by Adam and Eve from his rib.

"Neither is the man without the woman…in the Lord" Corinth 11: 11

"A man shall be joined to his wife…be one flesh." Eph 5: 31

The family is central to the creators plan for the eternal destiny of his children.

……………………………………………………………

I use the word claim; because, so many christians (add to) their own use of a few verses in the scriptures for their own behavior and also dismiss (take away) all that the prophets and Lord have said in fullness. Example: saying God is the originator of gay marriage. I know you brought that up testing the understanding of those who claim to be Christians but haven't done the homework . :)

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Well done, well said indeed ...

Correct again:

"I know you brought that up testing the understanding of those who claim to be Christians but haven't done the homework." :)

Did not know I was that transparent:)

Thanks for explaining your use of the word "claim." Its understandable, but becomes offensive when you are conversing with someone like me.

I will never be caught guilty of practicing eisegesis of the biblical text.

9. willa

United States
    Ratings:
    +301
    Sorry, I never intend to offend but I seem to be pretty good at it. :D I was underscoring what bootzey also noticed regarding some christians and even non christians who pick and choose their verses in the bible and they don't have to be correct. Because of that, I make sure I can back up my points. Thanks for the replies and challenge if there is a concern. :SuN040: Willa

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Well, bootzey is not a christian, as far as I know. And not only that, but again, take notice that this is the Study Forum for Christians.

Christian Study Group