The Front Porch : How Childish Gambino’s This is America boils down to reparations

Thanks for sharing your critique of critiques from the right and left, your predictions were correct. But what has me confused is the title you chose for this particular Thread:

How Childish Gambino’s This is America boils down to reparations
Discussion in 'The Front Porch' started by 42Tribes, Wednesday at 5:15 PM

Although symbolism permeates Gambino's video, throughout, I find no clear and direct or distinct symbolism for Reparations, as did the critique from the right; so, what makes you say this is America video boils down to Reparations?

We can certainly infer Reparations, but cannot definitively make the claim that the artwork boils down to reparations.

Last edited:
:great:

The Difficulty in Defining Donald Glover’s ‘This is America’
It’s powerful, problematic, and its motives are unclear. Donald Glover (aka Childish Gambino) posing as if firing a gun in the music video for “This is America”.

Kitanya Harrison
May 7

I woke up on Sunday morning to see #ThisIsAmerica trending, and clicked through to find Childish Gambino’s new music video on YouTube. The first viewing reinforced my thoughts on Donald Glover (aka Childish Gambino): He’s carving out a unique place for himself in American popular culture — a place that’s difficult to define because it’s somewhere between commercial success and subversion, this is America is an indictment of a…

https://medium.com/s/story/this-is-america-dont-catch-me-slipping-8f1072f730e9
donald-glover-this-is-america.jpg

Jimcrow.jpg

61585.gif

“Blackface” is a style of theatrical makeup that originated in the United States, and is used to make a white actor look like a Black person ...

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back