The Front Porch : How Childish Gambino’s This is America boils down to reparations

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Thanks for sharing your critique of critiques from the right and left, your predictions were correct. But what has me confused is the title you chose for this particular Thread:

How Childish Gambino’s This is America boils down to reparations
Discussion in 'The Front Porch' started by 42Tribes, Wednesday at 5:15 PM

Although symbolism permeates Gambino's video, throughout, I find no clear and direct or distinct symbolism for Reparations, as did the critique from the right; so, what makes you say this is America video boils down to Reparations?

We can certainly infer Reparations, but cannot definitively make the claim that the artwork boils down to reparations.

Last edited:

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
:great:

The Difficulty in Defining Donald Glover’s ‘This is America’
It’s powerful, problematic, and its motives are unclear. Donald Glover (aka Childish Gambino) posing as if firing a gun in the music video for “This is America”.

Kitanya Harrison
May 7

I woke up on Sunday morning to see #ThisIsAmerica trending, and clicked through to find Childish Gambino’s new music video on YouTube. The first viewing reinforced my thoughts on Donald Glover (aka Childish Gambino): He’s carving out a unique place for himself in American popular culture — a place that’s difficult to define because it’s somewhere between commercial success and subversion, this is America is an indictment of a…

https://medium.com/s/story/this-is-america-dont-catch-me-slipping-8f1072f730e9

“Blackface” is a style of theatrical makeup that originated in the United States, and is used to make a white actor look like a Black person ...

42Tribes

May 21, 2014
I'll admit I think everything boil down to reparations and a few other things. America behaves too much like a corporation to not make a class action lawsuit case among other strategies for reparations.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Thank you for this profound response ...

I'll admit I think everything boil down to reparations and a few other things. America behaves too much like a corporation to not make a class action lawsuit case among other strategies for reparations.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

No Dancing This Time: A Guide for White People Regarding this Is America
Too many of us ignore black pain while embracing black art

Christopher Sturdy
Medium member since May 2018
Educator. Creative Writing Grad Student starting Fall 2018. Always sitting in a state of weltschmerz.

I’m finishing up my sixth year of teaching, and I know this may come as a shock to some, but… I’ve seen some racist things happen in the classroom *awkward white gasp*. There was the one time two of my students donned blackface during a video project on Of Mice and Men, or the time I caught wind of some white students using racial slurs on their Twitter accounts, and of course the time a group of five boys —…

https://medium.com/s/story/no-dancing-this-time-a-guide-for-white-people-regarding-childish-gambinos-this-is-america-af60926e6fb3

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
:rofl:

Donald Glover fans made /r/thedonald great again

Swapna Krishna
Engadget

The subreddit /r/thedonald (not to be confused with /r/the_donald) was a venue for fervent Donald Trump supporters to express their affection for America's president. That is, until Donald Glover's "This Is America" (performed as Childish Gambino) topped musical charts, now, the subreddit has been taken over by Donald Glover fans, and the results are pretty much as spectacular as you'd expect.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/donald-glover-fans-made-r-163100134.html

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

The Brutally Honest 'This Is Nigeria' Shows How A 'This Is America' Remake Should Be Done
Falz's new song is being hailed as a masterpiece by fans

Ricky Riley

... In that time, there have been imitators but few have actually captured the political nuances Gambino infused in the original, until now. Nigerian artist Falz has taken "This Is America" and applied it to the social and political ills tearing apart his beloved nation ...

https://blavity.com/the-brutally-honest-this-is-nigeria-shows-how-a-this-is-america-remake-should-be-done

Photo: Instagram

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Oaxaca,

Plan It Now: How to Experience Mexico's Surreal Day of the Dead
In our new series, we help you work through your bucket list, one mind-blowing trip at a time
By
Nikki Ekstein

...Each year, from Oct. 31 to Nov. 2, villagers throughout Mexico empty out of their homes and into local cemeteries to welcome the souls of their dearly departed.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-31/how-to-plan-a-trip-to-oaxaca-for-day-of-the-dead

Family members light candles in honor of the dead at San Felipe de Aqua cemetery in Oaxaca, Mexico.
Photographer: Richard Ellis/Getty Images

A couple in costume for the Day of the Dead.
Photographer: MARIO VAZQUEZ/AFP/Getty Images

Consciousness Raising Online!

Allow the N Word - yes or no?

• yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • no

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • not sure

Votes: 6 42.9%

Latest profile posts

"And I'm feeling good."-Nina Simone
Destee wrote on Angela22's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! ... :dance4: ... Welcome Home! So good to have your sweet Spirit in the house! ... YAAAAAAY USSSSS! ... :yaay: :yaay: :swings: ... :heart:
Angela22 wrote on Enki's profile.
I hope all is well with you. Much love.:love:
Destee wrote on Charles Thompson's profile.
Hi Chuck ... is that you?!!! ... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!! ... :yaay: ... I sure hope so! I have thought of you often! If it is not you, sorry for writing on your profile page @Charles Thompson and Welcome! ... :wave:
Destee wrote on MANASIAC's profile.
WooooHoooo!!! ... :yaay: :yaay: :yaay: .... Welcome Home! ... :wave: ... :heart: