Black People : HOW CAN YOU REACH ME?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Luver2B, May 13, 2004.

1. Luver2B

Luver2B Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I have read so much during my short time as a member of this forum, so much that I knew, so much that I needed to review. I ask you that, are we preaching to the choir? We who participate in this daily exchange of ideas know what is needed, we understand the plan, we know the rout. Hence, I ask, how can we bring this concept of self worth to the ones who need it? If I were a thug, how could you reach me? If I worked the streets, how could you reach me? If my daddy left for mommy’s arrest, how could you reach me? HOW CAN YOU REACH ME? This is a question I ask you, the ones who have breathed the past, and have seen the future.

2. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    We are in a sense preaching to the choir if we take it no further than this forum. But what if we want to take it further? How do we reach "YOU" depends where "YOU" live. If you live in my neighborhood, the way to reach you will be varied. For example:

Community Outreach (like the one my daughter participates in)
    Here children and teens are kept busy by participating in sports like basketball, martial arts, ballet dance and other arts.

There is also a Hip Hop Dance Studio here. She once was a rap artist herself...well known. However, she decided to do something positive with her gift and it has done well in the past 2 years. She teaches hip hop dance to teens and good positive morals for living. She is supported in part by a local church here.

There is also a ministry here that goes door to door every month sharing Christ with hurting families, giving away food and helping out with utilities or rent, teaching them money managment skills, providing scholarships for those who finished high school under dire circumstances, etc. When people see the love of Christ in practice rather than at a pulpit, it has a profound effect. This is how I was reached as a young person at the age of 22...I know for myself...it works.

I could go on but I believe you got the picture. Do the programs work? Yes, but only for those who participate. You can bring the mule to the river, but you can't make him drink. That is up to him.

Joyce

3. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Indeed,

when the student is ready, the teacher will appear!

4. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    so true....they have to be willing to WANT to learn
    Want to do better...bottom line they HAve to WANT it....

5. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Good post Luver2B

Joyce, register your children here, for school scholarships. www.fastweb.com.

They will have to write essay's and stuff but they can get 2 to 10 grand in that mail box for school. Share! Key Share! The thugs mentioned and the lost will see and come. Build it and they will come. I also have some info on support like shelter, and support groups and stuff in many communitys around the states. I will come back and post it. Share it with all you talk with, and start the one seed, stem and leave system.

" From one seed it spouts and raises up to meet the sun, along with it comes a stem, for strenghth. Then other leaves follow. " Quote from a famous black poet Born in 1872 ... PAUL LAWRENCE DUNBAR

( http://www.plethoreum.org/dunbar/ )

SHARE!

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Yes, we do have to "take it to the streets."

Some people are intrinsically motivated; others are extrinsically motivated.

Helping just one somebody at a time is a start.

I am reminded of a book by Sharon Ewell Foster, "Aint No River," in which a church pastor introduced a project, instructing the congregation to write down all their problems on a piece of paper and put it away in a jar or box, outta sight/outta mind....Then, to pick one person in the church to help with their problems.

In helping someone else, we are blessed.

I believe that.

Too often we are too caught up in our own problems to reach out to another.

7. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    The question should not be "How can you reach me?" but "What should I reach out for?" No need in thowing balls to folks who don't know put their hands up.