Black History Culture : HOW CAN WE STOP THE ATTACK ON HIP-HOP AND BLACK CULTURE?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by KWABENA, Aug 12, 2004.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I know most of you on here were around when Hip-Hop first started. After starting this thread, I am going to go back and and watch "Brown Sugar" about 20 times until I understand what REAL hip-hop really is. Hip-Hop is NOT self-hate, disrespest and murder music.

To all the grown-ups around here:

I don't want you to get too old. My generation does not know or care about ANYTHING that you went through to make black culture the best it can be. Hip-Hop and drugs and all that started in your time. Now it is spreading like wildfire, and for the kids, it needs to stop. I'm pretty sure that everyone who could not be here today (including Dr. King, Malcolm X, Medgar Evers) and so would agree with me. We can listen to you alot better than we can listen to ourselves (young people.) We cannot let this go on, or it will eat the very existence of blacks alive. We are no longer labeled as successors; we are labeled as an inferior race. That can be changed, but we need to stick together to change it. Since all the martyrs passed on, not anyone has picked up where they left off. Martin Luther King Jr. died for freedom, and we still do not have freedom; As far as Rosa Parks and giving up the seat goes, some bus drivers don't even want to let kids on the bus. But thats not the point.

The point is that we need to stick together to end the current status of Hip-Hop, before it ends us. Many many people are falling love with G-Unit, D-Block and all these other groups. Kids are creating neighborhood gangs called "G-Unit, D-Block, Ruff Ryders", and such. This is a small world, but enough black folks to stick together and fix a problem that destoys us. It can be done, just put precious time and effort into it.

What can you do to change the way Black Culture really is? Express your leadership skills here. I will read EVERY post - I promise.

Cedric Denson

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i guess that lets me out, then.
    Cya.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    What's up, Brother Cedric!!!

Listen, we now have a culture forum, so perhaps this would've best been placed up in there??? Hmmmm...maybe not?(smile!)

My beautiful young brother(didn't know you were that young, Ced), I would that you would pick up iand read the biographies and autobiographies of the great men and women whom you mentioned in your post... You might find out something interesting about them which you have in common with them:they all started out doing their thing in their 20's....

Yeah, they were young people just like yourself, and they saw the world around them, and said 'I gots' to do something about it..' Medgar, Malcolm, and Martin were all murdered before their 40th birthdays, brother, but they managed to cram so much into that short period of time, that we have the perception of them being old men when they unceremoniously left this plane...

The Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee(S.N.C.C.)was comprised almost entirely of people in the teens and early 20's, when they were kicking behind, and braking a lot of white supremacist hearts... SNICK was so admired by the local teenagers down in Mississippi that they inadvertently politicized them by being such a strong example...

Brother Cedric, it is unfortunate that we as African people keep our history buried from our babies, because it would serve as such an inspiration to them... We are quite derelict in that respect, but I want you to know that Bob Moses, Sam Block, James Bevel, Diane Nash, John Lewis, and my man, Dr. Bernard Lafayette, were young people attending bible school, and whatnot, and plotting revolution, man(smile!) Like I've mentioned at the board, all of that loud stuff in rap, the lookatme attitude, just gives away the old address, let's the enemy know where ya at at all times...(smile!) He aint got to look for ya, 'cause 5'oclock in da mo'nin, where ya gonna be???? Outside on da co'ner!!! Lookahyeahdeyis!(smile!)

Yeah, bruh, I'm an old dusty, but I'm hard as hell to find(smile!) That was the lesson I learned from those old country boys, John Lewis and Bernard Lafayette(he-he!) And that's the lesson young cats have got to learn... Put some shade on ya game, and do like Kwame Ture said do, and organize, organize, organize... The times have changed young brother... There aint no more need for Malcolm's and Martin's, truth be told...

What we need is some John Johnsons and Earl Graves with a serious consciousness toward institution-building in our communities... When I say institutions, you know I mean schools, colleges, universities, banks, auditoriums, transportation systems, supermarkets, and some mo' schools, schools, libraries, libraries, libraries...(smile!) We need data banks, global mainframes, and young bright energetic Africans like you to maintain it all... Brother Cedric, just quietly organize, and quietly build... You don't need 200,000 cats like the Nation had in it's heyday... Sure, it was a beautiful sight to see all those cats standing on the sidewalk on a summer evening, clean, smiling, and smelling fantastic!(smile!) Even mo' beautiful was the sistas all dressed in White, but it aint 1971 no more... We don't need all of that attention, just a whole lotta action going on underground, dig???

Check this brother Cedric, there's a group of southern Europeans came over here to Ellis Island just before the turn of the 1800's, and said they were gone TAKE what they wanted... By the 1950's, and a few dead bodies later, they was, and still are, getting whatever they ask for, because to refuse them is not good for your health... To steal from them is not good for your health, to mess with one of them whom they've sworn to allegiance is not good for your health.... We never see these guys doing what they do, except on HBO, and they frown on too much attention... Believe me, they are as emotionally expressive as we are, but they do know when to throw shade on stuff...

Together we must begin to "take" what we want from this badboy, because we are owed a very large debt which must be collected by hook or by crook... We are in a much more advantageous position from those who had to engage in criminal behaviour to get paid, because many of us are already getting paid... We need to organize, and pool our resources, and build powerful Black institutions which draw our best minds to us... Then we can send our best lawyers into lobby Congress for reparations, or whatever we deem necessary and essential to our health and development as a people... Cedric, Ive rambled on here, but I hope I broke off a little something for you to chew on...(smile!) Gotta Run!

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. daroc

daroc Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
    Isaiah- im truely loving the way u think on this thread right here..... jus had to add that...

5. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    The younger fans dont have any connection with even early hip hop...they only know what is new, but can and do open their minds more when exposed to the older stuff. I exposed my little sister to the older stuff....she grew up listening to me and my bro pumping that stuff. She does not like much of the commercial stuff becuase hearing how much some of the older artists, and modern underground artists had to say, she finds the new trendy stuff to be weak and boring.

We gotta educate the younger fans on the roots of the rap music they know today....once they understand the 4 elements and original hip hop, we can pass them along to go back further and learn about the music many early rappers sampled....this cannot be done in one step but gradually they will get to know all that came before them and that interest will lead them to learn about life back in the day.

Older hip hop and some of the music they sampled speaks on alot of issues. There is new underground stuff that does too that we can get younger fans into by mixing it in when playing modern popular stuff. You cant force anyone to like anything but can offer the opportunity to them to expand their mind.

MrBlak

6. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I think as long as we don't take responsibility for the images that we reflect then the perception of us will remain the same. Often perception becomes reality. So change the perception and then maybe we can change the reality

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother James, I understood Cedric to be asking us to be the elders that we are, and provide some leadership and insight for the young folks... Nothing to take offense at, just a word left out, or misplaced, but i got the general meaning of his request... When he said the young folks don't know or care about what we've gone through, he was not only saying what we say all the time, but corroborating what we say all the time...

We have to step back and evaluate these things... Even if it appears an insult to us, we cannot be allowing insults to penetrate beyond a certain point - to that point where we are totally offended and hurt... Cedric, perhaps, you need to clarify what your point is, brother... I understood it, but clearly not all of us will...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Daroc, thank you much(smile!) A brotha needs to hear that every now and then(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

9. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    One of the problems is that these artist, producers and labels are making more money than they ever have on this hip hop ignorance...so there will be no changing it. Young black (teenagers) people do not want to hear about change and better black communities. They want to hear about the club, ice, sex, drugs and killing. Even some of the older fans of hip hop (mid twenties) don't want to hear about peace, freedom or anything not related to the self-hating music that is commercial now. And they have had some influence from some of the past positive rappers (public enemy, De la Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Arrested Development, BDP). There are still conscious rappers out now that are known (Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Coup, Dead Prez), but not many people embrace them. And they have more talent as well. Young black people just don't want to hear it. They want to hear and see the flashy, iced out cats. Not the brotha that is modestly dressed speaking on education, eating healthy and fighting the system. Until we get our thinking changed we will not be able to convert hip hop back to where it started...because bottom-line...it's not profitable.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i'm 61 years old, FWIW
    seems like it's open season on olde folks around here.
    if that's the way it is, i can go someplace else.
    i don't have a need to be insulted.
    what's up?