Black Education / Schools : How Can We Start Our Own School System?

are you taking meds? did you read all of my threads in context or are you having an .... episode?

No meds. White man said I can't have health insurance--so I just don't get sick.

Ankhur, I'm saying that you reached half a decade into the past as if there's nothing today going on in your neighborhood.

Blueprint for Afrocentric Home school

1. Platform – Having taken courses at Prince George’s Community College, an institution with a majority of black teachers and students, I have already been exposed to an online curriculum that reflects what we should be aiming for with an afrocentric education. Their platform consists of the following:

1) A message board for communication between the students and the professor

a) Here on this message board the students submitted their assignments

b) The professor also gave additional feedback on his or her lessons

2) An area for teaching

3) An entryway for getting to the site.

The platform for PGCC’s online education is called ed2go.com.

HERE IS THE GOOD NEWS: DESTEE ALREADY HAS THESE FUNCTIONS ON HER SITE.

She has an extensive chat function which will allow for verbal lessons. Her conversation function allows for one-on-one communication between the student and professor.

The only thing that could be an issue is that I don’t see how you could upload files for test-taking, essays, etc. But this isn’t a big deal. Teachers could just give their email and get the uploads that way.

2. Legal – This is going to be our most challenging issue. Knowing how the white man is, we want to make sure we follow the laws of the United States to ensure our school meets all the necessary accreditation requirements.

I am willing to do my part and write a letter to the Board of Education to get EXACT requirements on how to get a school accredited. But if any of you have this information before hand that would help.

I think the curriculum would also be an issue. I said in another thread we can use the white man’s textbooks for science and math, just to make things easier. We might also want some books on white history to again follow the law. But since this would be our own school, we can use our OWN supplemental material. In River’s Our Own Black People’s School thread, I talked about how we can use Createspace & Kindle to create supplemental materials and still make money on the side.

Again, these platforms aren’t black, but they are really easy to use. And once we get money from this school, we can sell our materials on a platform we create.

3. Money - This is going to be our next challenging issue. We will really have to turn to our ancestors on this one, because we will need money to pay the teachers. According to Teacherportal.com, in my home state of Maryland, the average salary of a teacher is $37,125.

We could easily find teachers by posting ads on Craigslist, though to make sure everything stays legal, we have to use marketing to look for black teachers. When I say marketing, I mean we emphasize that the applicant would be teaching an afrocentric curriculum.

With the way the white man’s laws are now, you can’t just say you want an Afro-American teacher; you would get in trouble.

But anyway, that doesn’t solve the money problem. I would say with Destee’s platform we could use two teachers, one for morning students and one for evening students. So, we would need $74,250 each year to pay these people.

How do we get this amount of money? If no one has it, we must find some who is altruistic and willing to do it for free. Are there any teachers on Destee that would willing to teach a real afrocentric homeschool course for free?

Another solution could be to charge the end user $1,000 a year for usage, but if we go by the law, the teacher might only be able to handle 30 students at a time. This means ONLY $30,000 a year for our business IF we can get that many students.

We also need some method to handle the money. A trustee would need to be appointed, and also there would need to be a platform to collect the monies.

And if there is any profit to be made, I think it should go to anyone involved in creating and/or maintaining the school.

4. Curriculum – There are a lot of talented folks here. I think we can write the curriculum ourselves, provided that those that agree to it have the necessary credentials.

If you are not a teacher, it may not be legal to create an actual curriculum. I’m not aware of the law in this matter. But again, we can create BOOKS AND EBOOKS on afrocentric history.

I will try and do my part and write a Kindle ebook on Nubian history. When it’s completed, you will see more of what I’m talking about. If you use Amazon as a platform, you can make money WHILE helping our community.

5. Marketing – We can put out flyers promoting our school. That’s probably the easiest method, though we can also use blogging and Internet marketing.

Blueprint for Afrocentric Home school

1. Platform – Having taken courses at Prince George’s Community College, an institution with a majority of black teachers and students, I have already been exposed to an online curriculum that reflects what we should be aiming for with an afrocentric education. Their platform consists of the following:

1) A message board for communication between the students and the professor

a) Here on this message board the students submitted their assignments

b) The professor also gave additional feedback on his or her lessons

2) An area for teaching

3) An entryway for getting to the site.

The platform for PGCC’s online education is called ed2go.com.

HERE IS THE GOOD NEWS: DESTEE ALREADY HAS THESE FUNCTIONS ON HER SITE.

She has an extensive chat function which will allow for verbal lessons. Her conversation function allows for one-on-one communication between the student and professor.

The only thing that could be an issue is that I don’t see how you could upload files for test-taking, essays, etc. But this isn’t a big deal. Teachers could just give their email and get the uploads that way.

2. Legal – This is going to be our most challenging issue. Knowing how the white man is, we want to make sure we follow the laws of the United States to ensure our school meets all the necessary accreditation requirements.

I am willing to do my part and write a letter to the Board of Education to get EXACT requirements on how to get a school accredited. But if any of you have this information before hand that would help.

I think the curriculum would also be an issue. I said in another thread we can use the white man’s textbooks for science and math, just to make things easier. We might also want some books on white history to again follow the law. But since this would be our own school, we can use our OWN supplemental material. In River’s Our Own Black People’s School thread, I talked about how we can use Createspace & Kindle to create supplemental materials and still make money on the side.

Again, these platforms aren’t black, but they are really easy to use. And once we get money from this school, we can sell our materials on a platform we create.

3. Money - This is going to be our next challenging issue. We will really have to turn to our ancestors on this one, because we will need money to pay the teachers. According to Teacherportal.com, in my home state of Maryland, the average salary of a teacher is $37,125.

We could easily find teachers by posting ads on Craigslist, though to make sure everything stays legal, we have to use marketing to look for black teachers. When I say marketing, I mean we emphasize that the applicant would be teaching an afrocentric curriculum.

With the way the white man’s laws are now, you can’t just say you want an Afro-American teacher; you would get in trouble.

But anyway, that doesn’t solve the money problem. I would say with Destee’s platform we could use two teachers, one for morning students and one for evening students. So, we would need $74,250 each year to pay these people.

How do we get this amount of money? If no one has it, we must find some who is altruistic and willing to do it for free. Are there any teachers on Destee that would willing to teach a real afrocentric homeschool course for free?

Another solution could be to charge the end user $1,000 a year for usage, but if we go by the law, the teacher might only be able to handle 30 students at a time. This means ONLY $30,000 a year for our business IF we can get that many students.

We also need some method to handle the money. A trustee would need to be appointed, and also there would need to be a platform to collect the monies.

And if there is any profit to be made, I think it should go to anyone involved in creating and/or maintaining the school.

4. Curriculum – There are a lot of talented folks here. I think we can write the curriculum ourselves, provided that those that agree to it have the necessary credentials.

If you are not a teacher, it may not be legal to create an actual curriculum. I’m not aware of the law in this matter. But again, we can create BOOKS AND EBOOKS on afrocentric history.

I will try and do my part and write a Kindle ebook on Nubian history. When it’s completed, you will see more of what I’m talking about. If you use Amazon as a platform, you can make money WHILE helping our community.

5. Marketing – We can put out flyers promoting our school. That’s probably the easiest method, though we can also use blogging and Internet marketing.
Like I stated before all the rukus in my first, posts, I will contribute illustrations and art work, pro bono

Understood, and those kinds of networks of in home teach ins of groups of children, where prevalent in the 60s.

One was a wealthy elderly sister, Mrs Gibbs, who had a mansion and taught singing and piano lessons as well as had the entire Carter G Woodson set, in multiples, of his Children's African and Black history texts
that she would conduct classes from

Great!
So let's do it again.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back