Black Education / Schools : How Can We Start Our Own School System?

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by blackisbeautiful, Jan 11, 2012.

1. blackisbeautiful

blackisbeautiful Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +77
    In another thread, there was a discussion on a very racist assignment. Kids had to use math to calculate how many slaves would be needed to pick oranges. The link below can provide more explanation. It points to a Fox 5 news report.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/new...tt-County-20120106-pm-pk#.TwhAj6y37vs.twitter

In that particular thread, I made a comment about how things like this should get us motivated to start our own school systems. I made this thread to expand on that discussion.

It's very clear that things are not going to work for us the way they are going now, so how can WE control our own destinies? What would you like to see in a totally new school system, where afrocentric teachings are the main source of learning?

And more importantly, HOW can we get started on building this new system? With all the HBCUs we have in our community, there is no excuse as to why we can't apply the same mindset for forming NEW schools for our children.

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    There has to be a serious and focused dialogue about this promoting this and hashing out the logistics, on this site, facebook, twitter and any other network that reaches sisters and brothers, in all 50 states.

1 There will be needed a Black Schools think tank of folks like Dr Jawanzaa Kunjufu, Dr Leonard Jeffries, Dr Adelaide Sanford, Dr Joy Degruy, Haki Matibuti, Jitu Weusi, and Marva Collins.

2 What will be needed in the interim before, the money can be reaised, for teachers supplies and acredidation bricks and mortar, schools can be built,

A remote educational tutoring and enrichment, free software avaialable to grassroots parents .covering .

Now I am not an educator but have been a graphic artist within the NYC board of Ed, during the time that Frank Mickens and many other powerful Black principals and vice principals in the 80s, who without charter schools, corporate smat, turned "ghetto" schools, that would under Bloomberg, have been shut down into edifices of inner city enriched education and scholarship.

In the book, "Malcolm X a Man and His Times", by Dr John Henrik Clarke, the last chaper describes the charter of the OAAU, and methodologies of Black nationalism, without great cost, but using what is availabe to low income grassroots people.

He stated that we should make our schools (public schools) so outstanding in education and enrichment that they would be the envy of the nation. Now his concepts had to do with rev galamasons, along with Jitu Weusi's hard abttled campaign for school decentaization and community boards,

and much was accomplished and much was done and little was lost or axed from curriculum,
    becuase the parents were seriously and vigilantly involved, in what happned in the buildings were thier children were educated, and were involved in who and what type of people represented the interests of the community within the community boards

all of this becuase grassroots people could not all afford the private Black schools in the 60s like Uhur Sasa.

His point was that no bullcrap could occur within the schools if the parents were vigilant!

3. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    We need schools before making a school system.

We have schools--but few students.

First, though, we need to make it clear what schools are for.

Frankly, it's to get employed. If we are not employers, then we won't have students, so we won't have schools and we won't have a school system.

Get more employers--then you can talk about a school system.

HTP.

4. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    First off before I started I'm not in any way a defeatist. In this climate "they" would never allow us to do this. Some Black people will not be receptive to this either. If we exclusively try to educate our children, the first thing we'll hear is reverse racism. We cannot follow the ideology of this present day amerikkkan school system. I with you, we need our own. Math, science, and some other vital subjects
    are needed, as well as subjects showing. Our greatness. Subjects undoing the lies of centuries past, to me would be a great starting point.

Now back to your extremely valid question. How Can We Start Our Own School System? How do we start a school system within this system? Everything we do will be under this system. It's laws, taxes etc, I don't mean to be redundant with things you know already. First we need people who don't care what other ethnicities think. I don't know, I see other "peoples" create things for their "people", and don't include us per se. It seems when we create something errybody else has to be "included".
    That has to stop.

These present day amerikkkan matrix institutions (banking, education, religion, "legal") are creations of people who were not concerned whether or not we grew as individuals or people. Again not trying to be redundant. But this present day reality is become redundant because it's actually built on redundancy. It's built on sales, not greatness. Where I'm going is, we have to change "our" value system. WHAT WE HAVE TO DO IS CHANGE OUR REALITY. And stop succumbing to the gutter consciousness of this mutant.

With that said, what you proposed is no easy task. It's been tried since we've got here. Alot has been tried since we got here. And because we are here and up against wha

t we're up against, we always have a fight on our hands. Some Black/Africans (I actually hate using the term "black"
    because term "black" was forced upon us)might not realize what is truly going on with people of color globally. So I would suggest and hope just because on who they are they would be willing to contribute to our overall greatness if possible.

Get some real committed individuals how can see in real time and 50+ years into the future. All the money these celebrities make, they could contribute .5% to a global fund. Get progressive thinkers who can instill our great qualities and still allow us to navigate this system. Teaching to build our own power grids, our own technology. Teach to use the system against itself. Teach us to defend ourselves spirituality, physically, mentally.
    And please, please, please can we thrive for the future without you know who ready to infiltrate. It is their nature. Now it's 2012. We are gaining power whether we realize it or not. We have the energy we just need commitment. And we need brother Omowale Jabali in a leadership capacity.

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......This link may provide more answers and insight:

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/our-own-black-people-school.46082/

Peace In,

6. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    first we really should give some thought to what our own school system should teach:

no, not history: the only "history" we have is that presented by folks that have as an ulterior motive the exploitation of us and our home. until we find out if any of our nations retain "memory singers", our history is a mystery that will just have to wait until we create our new history - by creating our own schools, our own industries, etc.

no, not "economics": money and all attendant crap has nothing to do with Life on this planet nor with Life in general. "coporacratic capitalism" is only about "competition" and Life does NOT do "competition" - it only does "cooperation". sadly, after all these centuries of those proto-humans trashing this planet with their bs, everybody done got stupid and can only see the "big lie" that has been perped and that is still happily perpetrated by the peons.

NO, most definitely NOT "religion": that crap has done even more damage than "economics" by convincing everybody that they are utterly incapable of attaining any sort of moral or ethical understanding/basis in/of anything except that which they are told by the proto-humans and their agents.

EarthRootSciences: "How does this Planet work?" "How does this Planet support the Life that It generates?" "How does the Life generated by this Planet interact with the Planet and the rest of the Life of this Planet?" "What does the Life of this Planet need in order to grow?"

it needs to begin with the realization that "what is life?" is not a "question"; it is a sign of being "broken", "developmentally disabled" and just plain stupid.

Life is that which KNOWS sufficiently of It Self that there is no need to ask. it's like the indian ocean asking what wet is.

Life is that which KNOWS that every "skin sack" (cardio-pulmonary- and central nervous-systems coupled with a cerebral cortex wrapped up in a flexible environmentally protective coating/skin: grasses, trees, fishes, birds, etc.) is EXACTLY the very same "I" that "i" am {"Namaste" - "The spirit in me respects the spirit in you," "the divinity in me bows to the divinity in you," and others, are modern interpretations, extrapolated from the Sanskrit root of namaste.[citation needed] It is worth noting, however, that there is no implicit mention of divinity, spirit, light, or other such concepts in the greeting."} and, as such, has exactly the same feelings/reactions/perceptions of "existence" that you do - EXACTLY!

this KNOWledge is the first step toward "consciousness". "awareness" - aware of what Life is; "self-awareness" - acknowledgment/acceptance that "i" am of that exact same life; "consciousness" - living the awareness that "I am Life/Life is I/Life IS/I IS" manifesting as "God-zillions" of discrete pieces such that "I/Life" might experience "Me/Life" from many many different perspectives such that "I/discrete" do KNOW "I/Life" is ETERNAL so that even as "I/discrete" will "die" after an allotted period of "time", "I/Life" have always been here and always will BE. (from this, we can also get to the concept that Life includes the "quantum sea" and that "I" can/will eventually learn to "manipulate" the "quantum sea" as easily as "I" manipulate a finger or hand or arm. ... eventually.)

oops; done got away from the "how can we start our own school system" question by presenting one of the very earliest most basic of curricula required of any such new system.

7. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    oh, i also wanted to say that i am somewhat heartened to finally see something of value/worth being discussed around here but am saddened knowing that from the 6 years that i've been around it will degenerate into irrelevancies and shortly fall by the wayside again.

8. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    How does one get more employers?

9. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Africans unite.

100 neighbors organizing $5,000 from each family a year means a community project with $500,000 annual costs, with 100 bright, local minds able to reach at minimum 300 regular patrons and probably on average 1000 regular patrons.

Done deal.

That's part of my organizing efforts.

10. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    I asked that question cause, that goes without saying,

but to get the money one has to have a platform and program to present to folks dont you think so?