Black Spirituality Religion : How Are Spiritual / Religious Leaders Trained ?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Destee, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Brother RAPTOR started a great thread, that spoke specifically to how Christian leaders are trained, and i'd like to expand it a bit.

Considering all the many life paths available for our children to choose from, as well as ourselves, it's a great question to have the answer to.

I remember growing up hearing about folk being "called" to preach, minister, etc. As though they got the word from the Creator, and i reckon, their training too.

Lately, i've seen folk being directed to other high ranking positions of spiritual paths, to receive direction and guidance, yet i wonder where and how those spiritual leaders got their training. I know many are charging money for the spiritual / religious direction and guidance they give, so it seems reasonable to know how qualified they are prior to making the financial transaction.

Is this information common knowledge, or must one be "part of the clique" to find out the detailed particulars of the spiritual leader's training?

Would a spiritual leader be offended, if prior to becoming involved with them, you asked for their credentials?

What is proper in this context, to just trust that they are highly qualified to dispense spiritual / religious guidance, because they say they are?

Since we have so many life paths represented, maybe we can learn together, how the leaders of them all are qualified to be such.

This thread may even encourage one of our Youth (or Elders) to start on that path, meeting the criteria so they too can be considered a leader of the group.

What is the leadership training process of your spiritual / religious life path?

Thanks in advance Family ... and Thanks Brother RAPTOR for inspiring this thread.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    It's been about a year since i posted this ... no comments still ?

Destee

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

Easy question Sister Destee, sorry no one has taken you up on it. From my so-called religious path, Seminary Schools of Theology are used in the leadership training process.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

Brother Clyde ... thank you ... but I think only (some) Christian Leaders are trained that way, not all Spiritual / Religious Leaders.

What of the others? Where do they get their training?

That's the question I'm asking ... not necessarily about Christian Leaders ... but all the others.

Do you have any insight on them?

Love You!

Destee

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Primarily Family ... i'm wondering ... how can a person know that a Spiritual / Religious Leader is qualified to do what they are doing?

Is there a way that the person who knows nothing, but is seeking guidance, can know the person that is helping them, is qualified?

Or must they simply "trust" what the Spiritual / Religious Leader is telling them?

Destee

6. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Excellent thread.

Anyone who claims to be initiated (is a 'priestess' or priest )in more than one spiritual tradition, is fake! especially if they are under 30.

In ATR (specifically the ones in west Africa) a person is required to under go training with an elder for at least 7 years before they earn the title 'Baba' anything..

there is one guy particularly on FB who has a large following of naive young black women, claims to be an authority on:

Ancient Hebrew Spirituality
    Vodou
    IFA(claims he is a babalawo)
    Palo

at the tender age of 26. :10500:

REALLY?

7. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Pro 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Any religious "leader" charging for counsel is acting outside of biblical precedence. God does not want us putting all of our trust in one MAN as the be all to end all as to tell us "God wants you do do THIS" We are to study the scriptures for OURSELVES (Children of God should have a RELATIONSHIP with God) and seek the counsel of several people who's testimony they know and respect as real, then take the path they believe God leads them.

Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Listen to religious "leaders", but don't just take their word on ANYTHING. If any religious "leader" is offended by you second guessing him or insisting that he support his statements with scripture, he is a fake and doesn't understand that it is your mandate from God to cross check everything he preaches.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

God expects us to follow religious "leaders" only to the extent that THEY themselves follow biblical teachings. If and when they stray from biblical teachings, He expects us to stop following that leader. We have to be able to recognize that departure by our own study, cross check, and relationship with God.

8. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    If they are saved, a child of God, have any relationship with God whatsoever, my previous post applies.

On the other hand, if they are not saved, not a child of God, do not have a relationship with God, then this scripture applies:

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

9. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    That's sounds good and all, but how does a person who "is seeking
    guidance, can know the person that is helping them, is qualified?"

Being "saved" and being "qualified" to help those seeking guidance are two
    different things.

How does one KNOW, the other is qualified?

10. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Another thought,

When if the person that is "second guessing" the religious "leader", don't know
    what they are talking about? This kind of thing can swing both ways, you know?