The Front Porch : How and why did you pick your name

Nia Maishani

My name (NEE' ah MY' ee SHAH' nee) is from the Kiswahili language (most widely spoken language on the Afrikan continent). Nia means "Purpose" and Maisha is "Life". "Ni" is a suffix to indicate that something is "in" or "within", hence, Purpose In Life.

A Zairean friend who once tutored me in Kiswahili (his native language) gave me the Swahili translation of my former screen name and present e-mail address (Purpose In Life), and I have used it ever since.

I regret to learn of your misfortune "Deepy", and offer my sympathy.

Hi Deepy ... and Everyone! :)

I adopted my youngest child in 1996, and that time happened to coincide with me getting online for the first time. She was 2 years old and her name is Destiny. When i signed on to AOL for the first time in my life, i had to choose a name and Destiny was taken ... so i chose Destee instead ... and i've been Destee ever since.

As a matter of fact, back then, she would get quite upset with me because she thought i'd stolen her name! I had to explain to her that she is Destiny and i am Destee ... bless her sweet heart ... anyway ... she's kewl with it now.

:heart:

Destee

Interesting topic, deepy. And I am sorry to hear of your loss. Watzinaname is a play on words so to speak, from the quote from Shakespeare. My interest in poetry blossomed when I was taking a high school class that focused on his poetry. I liked this particular work because I had to develop a hard shell early. You may say what you think I am, but I know what I am. Peace.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

It's a lot going on and I know I have not been here for a long time but it is about to change.
Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Back