The Front Porch : How and why did you pick your name

Discussion in 'The Front Porch' started by deepy, Dec 19, 2003.

1. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    My name here in destee is DEEPY. I took it as a memorial to my brother, He died this year...and was the last living sibling i had..He was actually called deepstuff by all of us when we were very young and that slowly ebbed into deep or deepy.
    I am not a male...definitely female...but the name became genderless.....A homage to a very together and deep brother.
    So manyof you have interesting names...I wondered if any of you would share how and why the choices you made. as well as pronunciation (phoentically please). Are they names that have to do with the political self, spiritual self, etc...

2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    name: khasm13

pronounciation: same as chasm

meaning: a deep opening made by disruption, as a breach in the earth or a rock; a yawning abyss; a cleft; a fissure.

meaning2: 13 is the summation of all good and evil in this universe. 13 is also the 7th prime number, so in this epic battle, good will always prevail...if anyone reads my poetry, this is the empirical concept behind most of my poems...

one love
    khasm

3. uzoka

uzoka Well-Known Member MEMBER

writer
    Ratings:
    +8
    Name: Uzoka [Birth] nickname

Pronounciation: OO-ZOH-KAR [emphasis on the first syllable which is pronounced quickly read than with a drawn out ooo :) ]

I just now made a pretty lame attempt at trying to give my name's meaning but the truth is I don't know exactly, was never interested in my African roots growing up and hated the calling of my name [especially in front of 'friends'].

I remember my father telling me and it was something along the lines of, 'the path to God is good' or ' this is the path to God' but the second one makes me sound as a little presumptuous :lol:

I met a Nigerian woman when I first travelled to Australia who gave me my full name which I was silly not to jot down, more than five or so syllables long...I'll have ot get back to you on the full name and meaning.

Peace

4. AtlantaEbonyMan

AtlantaEbonyMan Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I probably have the most general name out there. I'm a black man living in the Atlanta metropolitan area hence AtlantaEbonyMan.

5. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    HO - DEE

FIRST TWO SYLLABLES FROM MY LAST NAME ( HO )

FIRST LETTER OF MY FIRST NAME DRAWN OUT. ( D )

A friend called me that one day. I have the same first name as her husband. Sometimes when I meet people. I use my last name. Until I get to know them. When I first met her. I gave her my last name. When she realized we had the same first name. She called me this to irritate :censored: me. She only calls me by this. It stuck.

6. Nia Maishani

Nia Maishani Well-Known Member MEMBER

Business Owner
    Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nia Maishani

My name (NEE' ah MY' ee SHAH' nee) is from the Kiswahili language (most widely spoken language on the Afrikan continent). Nia means "Purpose" and Maisha is "Life". "Ni" is a suffix to indicate that something is "in" or "within", hence, Purpose In Life.

A Zairean friend who once tutored me in Kiswahili (his native language) gave me the Swahili translation of my former screen name and present e-mail address (Purpose In Life), and I have used it ever since.

I regret to learn of your misfortune "Deepy", and offer my sympathy.

7. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Nfant De Milieu is just a rewording of enfant de milieu, which in french means
    the middle child. I am the middle child of 5. I often feel that I am misunderstood since I suffer from the middle child syndrome. You wouldnot understand unless you was a middle child.

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hi Deepy ... and Everyone! :)

I adopted my youngest child in 1996, and that time happened to coincide with me getting online for the first time. She was 2 years old and her name is Destiny. When i signed on to AOL for the first time in my life, i had to choose a name and Destiny was taken ... so i chose Destee instead ... and i've been Destee ever since.

As a matter of fact, back then, she would get quite upset with me because she thought i'd stolen her name! I had to explain to her that she is Destiny and i am Destee ... bless her sweet heart ... anyway ... she's kewl with it now.

:heart:

Destee

9. SayWord

SayWord Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I adopted my name because I think words are the most important things in this world. It's our frm of communication. Words can make you feel just about anything. And I think I'm on my way to becoming a pretty decent writer and thinker. So here I am, SayWord.

10. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    Interesting topic, deepy. And I am sorry to hear of your loss. Watzinaname is a play on words so to speak, from the quote from Shakespeare. My interest in poetry blossomed when I was taking a high school class that focused on his poetry. I liked this particular work because I had to develop a hard shell early. You may say what you think I am, but I know what I am. Peace.