Health and Wellness : Hospitals warn that repealing ObamaCare could spark 'unprecedented public health crisis'

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,499
    :rofl:

GOP senators woke up to Trumpcare protests outside their homes this morning
    It’s never too early to contact your senator

The call went out Monday night, summoning health activists to gather at 5:30 a.m. the next morning at a local Washington D.C. church. They were going to bus to the home of two Senate Republicans and tell them why they adamantly opposed the GOP health care bills ...

https://thinkprogress.org/constitue...hem-up-ahead-of-health-care-vote-d9d76887be3e

GOP senators woke up to Trumpcare protests outside their homes this morning

It’s never too early to contact your senator.
    thinkprogress.org

[​IMG]
    CREDIT: Amanda Gomez/ThinkProgress

[​IMG]
    Amanda Michelle Gomez

Health Care Reporter at ThinkProgress. Formerly PBS NewsHour. Holler: [email protected]
    Jul 25

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,499
    :cry: shame.

House Republicans want to kill funding for family planning services
    The House appropriations committee’s spending measure nixes $286 million for low-income people’s reproductive health

Hundreds of millions of dollars that help low-income people access reproductive health care are at risk. The House Appropriations Committee approved discretionary funding for the Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education departments for 2018 last week, and in the process, eliminated $286 million in Title X funding for family planning services ...

https://thinkprogress.org/title-x-funding-c0b54e2d9a2b

House Republicans want to kill funding for family planning services

The House appropriations committee’s spending measure nixes $286 million for low-income people’s reproductive health.
    thinkprogress.org

[​IMG]
    Veronica Rios, left, talks with Dr. Sarah Hufbauer, a family practice doctor at the Country Doctor Community Clinic in Seattle, Feb. 4, 2011. CREDIT: AP/Ted S. Warren

[​IMG]
    Casey Quinlan

Policy reporter at ThinkProgress.
    Jul 25

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,499
    My broken hip taught me what Republicans don’t understand about health insurance
    Republican rhetoric about health care doesn’t reflect reality

... Today, twelve weeks and two days after my hip gave out from underneath me, my medical bills have soared to more than $18,000. The ambulance rides each cost more than $1,000. Just last weekend, I got a $3,450 bill for the anesthesia application, a number that doesn’t include the surgery itself. When I was finally able to leave my apartment, I began outpatient physical therapy. Every appointment costs $341.

Without health insurance, my injury could have very literally bankrupted me and my family ...

https://thinkprogress.org/gop-false-health-care-dichotomy-5938f6940e4c

My broken hip taught me what Republicans don’t understand about health insurance

Republican rhetoric about health care doesn’t reflect reality.
    thinkprogress.org

[​IMG]
    Photo via the author

[​IMG]
    Addy Baird

ThinkProgress Reporter
    Jul 25

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,499
    What it’s like to watch the Senate debate whether your life is as valuable as a tax cut for Trump
    Let’s talk about what it’s like to be told your life isn’t valuable enough

Every other Saturday morning, I inject $2,269.61 worth of pharmaceuticals into my leg. If I don’t do so, my immune system will slowly eat holes in my small intestine. Eventually, it will start leaking digestive fluid into my abdominal cavity until I literally devour myself from the insidem ...

https://thinkprogress.org/chronic-condition-trumpcare-scares-me-b2192446ea64

What it’s like to watch the Senate debate whether your life is as valuable as a tax cut for Trump

Let’s talk about what it’s like to be told your life isn’t valuable enough.
    thinkprogress.org

[​IMG]

See that? That’s almost $2,300 worth of medicine. Or two weeks of life for me. CREDIT: Photo courtesy of the author

[​IMG]
    That’s me looking haggard and gross after a workout I’m capable of doing because I have health insurance. CREDIT: Photo courtesy of the author

[​IMG]
    Ian Millhiser

Justice Editor, ThinkProgress. Author of Injustices: SCOTUS’ History of Comforting the Comfortable and Afflicting the Afflicted [email protected]
    Jul 25

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,499
    Jason Chaffetz is spending his post-Congress life attacking poor people on Instagram
    Former congressman shames a poor person for owning a smartphone

During an appearance on CNN in March, then-Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) infamously suggested that under Trumpcare, Americans will face some tough choices — like buying an iPhone or making sure they can see a doctor ...

https://thinkprogress.org/chaffetz-smartphone-shame-photo-3817345b4798

Jason Chaffetz is spending his post-Congress life attacking poor people on Instagram

Former congressman shames a poor person for owning a smartphone.
    thinkprogress.org

[​IMG]
    CREDIT: AP Photo/Rick Bowmer

[​IMG]
    Aaron Rupar

Journalist, ThinkProgress. Twitter: @atrupar
    Jul 25

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,499
    :great:

An obscure Senate rule just put the GOP healthcare bill in more trouble

... That's because of something called the Byrd rule. The Byrd rule was passed in 1985 and says that any bill going through the budget reconciliation process — what Republicans in the Senate hope to do with their healthcare bill — can be blocked on the grounds that it contains an "extraneous matter" or something "merely incidental" to the federal budget ...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/obscure-senate-rule-just-put-211900113.html

An obscure Senate rule just put the GOP healthcare bill in more trouble

Even more key provisions of Senate Republicans' Better Care Reconciliation Act could be...
    finance.yahoo.com

[​IMG]
    Mitch McConnell

[​IMG]
    Lydia Ramsey
    Business InsiderJuly 25, 2017

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,499
    Obamacare 'skinny repeal' bill fails in Senate
    GOP dealt stiff blow in Senate's bid to repeal 'Obamacare'

WASHINGTON (AP) — Dealing a serious blow to President Donald Trump's agenda, the Senate early Friday rejected a measure to repeal parts of former President Barack Obama's health care law after a night of high suspense in the U.S. Capitol.

Unable to pass even a so-called "skinny repeal," it was unclear if Senate Republicans could advance any health bill despite seven years of promises to repeal "Obamacare" ...

Video ... 2:28
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-eyes...3--finance.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_12

GOP dealt stiff blow in Senate's bid to repeal 'Obamacare'

WASHINGTON (AP) — Dealing a serious blow to President Donald Trump's agenda, the Senate early Friday rejected a measure to repeal parts of former President Barack Obama's health care law after a night of high suspense in the U.S. Capitol.
    yahoo.com

[​IMG]
    ERICA WERNER and ALAN FRAM
    Associated PressJuly 28, 2017

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,499

McConnell lashes out at GOP defectors, Democrats in aftermath of 'disappointing' health care vote

An angry Sen. Mitch McConnell rebuked Democrats and Republicans who voted against the GOP health care plan early Friday morning.
    “This is clearly a disappointing moment,” said the Senate Majority Leader after a vote on the Republicans’ “skinny repeal” of Obamacare fell 49-51 ...

Video ... 2:07
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/mcconnel...disappointing-health-care-vote-130150705.html

McConnell lashes out at GOP defectors, Democrats in aftermath of 'disappointing' health care vote

An angry Sen. Mitch McConnell rebuked Democrats and Republicans who voted against the GOP health care plan early Friday morning.
    yahoo.com

:facepalm:
    [​IMG]
    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell goes onto the floor during an all-night sessionJuly 27 to consider the Republican health care bill. (Photo: Melina Mara/Washington Post via Getty Images)

[​IMG]
    Christopher Wilson
    Editor
    Yahoo NewsJuly 28, 2017

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,499
    AZ Memo: McCain helps Senate defeat Obamacare repeal; House OKs border wall funds; more Hamilton hazing charges advised

Capping his dramatic return to Capitol Hill while fighting brain cancer, Sen. John McCain cast the deciding vote to sink his fellow Republicans' so-called "skinny repeal" of the Affordable Care Act.

McCain, R-Ariz., joined Republican Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and every Senate Democrat to bring down the bill on a 49-51 vote ...

Video ... 2:02

http://www.azcentral.com/story/nlet...e-fashion-square-trump-border-wall/518934001/

AZ Memo: McCain helps Senate defeat Obamacare repeal; House OKs border wall funds; more Hamilton hazing charges advised

Here's what you need to know to start your day.
    azcentral.com

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,499
    Everyone's tweeting the dramatic moment John McCain killed Obamacare repeal

The Senate has killed the Obamacare repeal bill and everyone on Twitter is praising one guy, John McCain, who returned to Washington early this week after a diagnosis of brain cancer.
    McCain was instrumental in voting against the so-called "skinny repeal" proposal, a bill which would have left 16 million additional people without health care and driven premiums up by 20% per annum ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/everyone-apos-tweeting-dramatic-moment-093009504.html

Everyone's tweeting the dramatic moment John McCain killed Obamacare repeal

The Senate has killed the Obamacare repeal bill and everyone on Twitter is praising one guy, John McCain, who returned to Washington early this week after a diagnosis of brain cancer.  McCain was instrumental in voting against the so-called...
    yahoo.com

[​IMG]
    Sen. John McCain just contradicted his own healthcare vote in a speech

Gianluca Mezzofiore
    Mashable•July 28, 2017