Pan Africanism : Horrific Violence in South Africa

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Destee, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Horrific violence now an everyday sight as the Rainbow Nation ends in a pool of blood

THE distinguished anti-apartheid novelist André Brink has shocked many of his politically correct countrymen by warning that football’s World Cup, coming to South Africa in 2010, threatens a “potential massacre which could make the Munich Olympics of a few decades ago look like a picnic outing”.

Brink, whose novels were banned by apartheid governments and who has twice been nominated for the Booker Prize and shortlisted several times for the Nobel Prize for Literature, is no everyday scaremonger.

In one of a number of articles he has written about the crises facing South Africa, he said: “For 12 years after our first democratic elections [held in 1994, resulting in Nelson Mandela becoming president] I went out of my way to assure people inside and outside the country who had doubts about the new South Africa that we were moving in the direction of democracy, truth and justice, and that the darker by-products of the change were temporary and superficial accidents. I can no longer do that.”

While South Africa has bathed in the accolade of the Rainbow Nation since the end of apartheid in 1994, a torrent of commentators and swathes of the general public now say that the rainbow’s end has been reached and the nation is sliding back into the storm.

Just this month , Nobel Peace Prize winner archbishop Desmond Tutu said the country had lost its “moral compass and reverence for life”.

He said: “Is it not horrendous for an adult man to rape a nine-month-old baby? [a reference to the country’s plague of baby rape in the belief that sex with infants cures Aids] What has come over us?”

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Do we have any Family Members in South Africa?

Is this article true or propaganda?

:heart:

Destee

3. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    This is so sad. Our people all over the world are deeply conditions to a point that seems unreversable. I have read many articles on the internet about the violence in South America. One thing I know, is where there are people hungry, sick, poor, homeless, and destitute, you will find people doing anything, even if its to their own, to overcome poverty and famine.

All the media representation on South Africa, is also an opportunity to degrade Black people. Next thing their be talking about, is yet another White country going in there to clean it up. Taking even more and leaving them with even less resources, as if that hasn't already happened and this is the end result of it.

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Sister Destee...

I'm not sure if this article is true or not but there was a program on nightline or 20/20 last week (I dont know which one for sure) and they were investigating a camp for women in the Congo, mostly young girls and most of them spoke concerning how they had been raped, tortured and mutilated by soldiers from various 'warlord' factions. Congo is not far from South Africa and there are still guerilla units from groups not affiliated with the ANC that are a potential thread to the coalition government.

The rape and murder of young girls have been thoroughly documented by even African journalists and videographers in southern Africa, and certain health and relief agencies.

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2002/april/rape.htm
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=25806

6. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Read this paper with caution...

Launched in February 1999 the Sunday Herald is now firmly established as one of Scotland's leading Sunday newspapers. Attracting over 210,000 readers each week, the paper makes a lively and refreshing read, in touch with the modern emerging Scotland. It has six separate sections - News, Sport, Business, Seven Days, Recruitment and Magazine.
    The paper has won numerous awards (domestic, European and world wide) for individual sections of the paper, written journalism, photography and design.

When I read the entire article I noticed two interesting things.
    1) That the whites are supposedly fleeing by the thousands due to so-called "reverse racist" practices, ("In a new report, the South African Institute of Race Relations[who is this?] said that one million whites have left the country in the past decade...This is partly because of the escalating violence, but also because they see no future in a country once proclaimed as “non-racist” but which has implemented a damaging raft of reverse-racist policies with similarities to those adopted by past white governments."
    and
    2) the comparisons to Columbia, Chenchnya and the Palestinian Territories.
    South Africa now ranks alongside Colombia, Chechnya and the occupied Palestinian Territories as among the most violent places on earth. [according to who?]

There is more, but I also looked at the "who" is the sunday herald, see above.
    I believe it is a propoganda piece. Especially when I read some of the other articles at the site.

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    While this may be classified as a propaganda piece I advise also to look closely at the legal proceedings going on in the case of one presidential candidate who has a long history of serving with the armed resistance.

There is a growing rift within the ANC with some members calling for more radical change and the pattern is usually when certain members are singled out in the press there are attempts to discredit them to tarnish their reputation so as to limit their popularity.

There are some with a more militaristic outlok then there are those with a more trade union background. These internal contradictions are mounting.

8. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320

Infants....? :cry:

~Ikoro

9. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Hoefully SOCCER from WORLD CUP OFFICIALS can ADD SOME LIGHT to the SITUATION.

That seems to be the ONLY LIGHT I can pick up from this ARTICLE, I guess.

Because everything ELSE seem to be TRIED and FAILED. Even with CONSIDERED RELIGIOUS AUTHORITY speaking.

10. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    More on SA

Tutu Warns About South Africa's Moral Direction
    In news from South Africa, the Archbishop Desmond Tutu is warning that South Africa is in danger of losing its moral direction. He said a respect for the law, environment and even life, were missing in the country. Desmond Tutu: “We need to try and recover the spirits that we had. We need to recover that incredible sense where almost everybody was saying my commitment is to the cause and whether I die, whether I suffer, whatever the price, I am willing to pay and that was something that our people said." Desmond Tutu’s comments came as he spoke to reporters prior to giving the Steve Biko memorial lecture at University of Cape Town. He said South Africa was not alone in facing hardships. Desmond Tutu: "But we do have problems and very serious problems I mean poverty, the devastation of AIDS, corruption, crime. But which country doesn't have problems and people forget we're just 12 years old and when you think, say, America. It's been free for 300 years. What has Katrina revealed? You go to New Orleans after Katrina and you see some horrendous things that you wouldn't have expected in a country that is the only superpower."

Apartheid's “Dr. Death” Still on S. African Payroll
    In South Africa, a scandal is brewing over the disclosure a major apartheid-era figure is still on the government payroll. Wouter Basson, nicknamed “Dr. Death” for his work as biological weapons chief under the apartheid regime, is being paid almost seven thousand dollars a month. The news comes seven years after Dr. Basson was suspended and tried for his role in masterminding an apartheid-era germ and chemical warfare campaign against black South Africans, including Nelson Mandela. He was acquitted of all charges in 2002 and allowed to continue a private practice. Last year, South Africa’s constitutional court recommended he be tried for crimes against humanity.