Black Sports : Hopkins vs Taylor

panafrica said:
A draw I could have lived with, but Jermaine Taylor definately did not perform well enough to stop a 10 year, 20 defense title reign. More importantly until the decision was announced neither did he, nor did his corner!
In the rematch, I believe Hopkins will take him to school. He take advantage of Taylor's weaknesses through the match and not wait as long. He's felt Taylor's punching power. As long as he chooses wisely when to brawl, Hopkins will win his belts back.

I still believe Hopkins is the better fighter and he will win the next fight, but I don't think he beat Jermaine Taylor that night. He waited too late to start fighting. He threw 127 punches through 7 rounds and 199 the last 5 rounds.

http://www.compuboxonline.com/stats/stats_hopkinstaylor.shtml

I would have been more content with a draw, than declaring Taylor the winner, but if there was going to be a winner, I think Taylor won. I just can't see giving a fight to a person that waited until more than half of the fight to start throwing punches, even though Hopkins did land a better percentage than Taylor. To me, Hopkins at least needed a knock down or a knock out to steal the fight in the later rounds, just from his lack of aggresiveness and activity in the first 7 rounds. He did have Taylor hurt a couple of time (and Taylor never hurt Hopkins), but I felt he needed a knock down at least.

kente417mojo said:
I still believe Hopkins is the better fighter and he will win the next fight, but I don't think he beat Jermaine Taylor that night. He waited too late to start fighting. He threw 127 punches through 7 rounds and 199 the last 5 rounds.

http://www.compuboxonline.com/stats/stats_hopkinstaylor.shtml

I would have been more content with a draw, than declaring Taylor the winner, but if there was going to be a winner, I think Taylor won. I just can't see giving a fight to a person that waited until more than half of the fight to start throwing punches, even though Hopkins did land a better percentage than Taylor. To me, Hopkins at least needed a knock down or a knock out to steal the fight in the later rounds, just from his lack of aggresiveness and activity in the first 7 rounds. He did have Taylor hurt a couple of time (and Taylor never hurt Hopkins), but I felt he needed a knock down at least.
Statistics can be misleading.

The tell of the tale is in the connect percentage. Hopkins connected/landed with 10% more of his punches than Taylor did. You have to consider Hopkins defense. In the earlier rounds, Taylor threw a lot of punches that missed. Hence, his low connect percentage rate. You have to give Hopkins credit for that.

This is a similar situation with Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker. He's a defensive fighter. The problem with that is that you have to make the other fighter look very stupid in order for the judges to score the round in your favor. Other than that, they're looking for the guy who's the most aggressive. Hence, that's how Hopkins lost this fight.

Actually, I think Hopkins lost it when the judge gave Taylor the 12th round. Hopkins threw more punches, landed more punches...hence, he had a higher connect rate and the judge gave the 12th round to Taylor. That, my friend, is where the error in this fight occurred.

I don't think either fighter would have had issues with a draw. Hell, Taylor wouldn't have. He thought he lost the fight.

Hopkins wouldn't have because he did start being aggressive late in the fight.

The next fight will be a doozy. :D

Monetary said:
Statistics can be misleading.

The tell of the tale is in the connect percentage. Hopkins connected/landed with 10% more of his punches than Taylor did. You have to consider Hopkins defense. In the earlier rounds, Taylor threw a lot of punches that missed. Hence, his low connect percentage rate. You have to give Hopkins credit for that.

This is a similar situation with Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker. He's a defensive fighter. The problem with that is that you have to make the other fighter look very stupid in order for the judges to score the round in your favor. Other than that, they're looking for the guy who's the most aggressive. Hence, that's how Hopkins lost this fight.

Actually, I think Hopkins lost it when the judge gave Taylor the 12th round. Hopkins threw more punches, landed more punches...hence, he had a higher connect rate and the judge gave the 12th round to Taylor. That, my friend, is where the error in this fight occurred.

I don't think either fighter would have had issues with a draw. Hell, Taylor wouldn't have. He thought he lost the fight.

Hopkins wouldn't have because he did start being aggressive late in the fight.

The next fight will be a doozy. :D

Yeah, I hear you. I just included the stats link because it shows how few punched Hopkins threw compared to his aggresiveness in the later rounds. I think defense is one thing, but inactivity is another. I think his inactivity lost him the fight. Even if people keep looking at that one round (12th) as the reason Hopkins lost, let's not disregard rounds 1-7, which are the ones that actually did him in IMO.

I'm not saying Taylor dominated Hopkins in any round in the fight, but he obviously did enough to win the majority of the earlier rounds. Hopkins shouldn't have let it come down to that last round as the deciding round. How many times does this occur. Fighters are on cruise control until the fight is all but lost, then they actually start trying in the later rounds. It's not a good strategy. Never has been, never will be.

"This is a similar situation with Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker. He's a defensive fighter. The problem with that is that you have to make the other fighter look very stupid in order for the judges to score the round in your favor. ... "

So sad!!!
RIP Sweet Pea Whitaker!

Was he on drugs when he was crossing the street!? How can he be that old, 55, and that experienced with jogging as a boxer, and then get hit crossing the street? I am scratching my head on this one.

He seemed to be a very nice person! I just read that he was arguably the best boxer ever!

I met him in the 1980s at my college in Norfolk, Va. and at the CIAA games for which I was a ball girl. I did not know who he was at the time, but I sat behind him in the bleachers and he turned around and introduced himself to me... This hurts so bad... My condolences goes out to his kids and loved ones.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back