Black Sports : Hopkins vs Taylor

panafrica said:
http://www.fightnews.com

I didn't see the fight, so I can't really comment about what happened. It appears that Hopkins tried to make Taylor expend his energy, and waited too late to mount his offense. Costly mistake, still Hopkins' 10 year-20 title defense record will stand for some time. Congrats to the new champ, Jermaine Taylor. I might have been wrong about the outcome, but I like Taylor...so I ain't mad!

CONGRATULATIONSSSSSSSS TO TAYLOR.

However, I think it should have been a draw. A judge actually gave Taylor the 12th round. smh Hopkins did wait too long to bring it to Taylor. Hell, he could have knocked Taylor out twice and he's not a knockout artist. :lol:

It was a fight of the minds. Who can out think the other. It was a good fight.

I pick Hopkins in the rematch. :D

Monetary said:

However, I think it should have been a draw. A judge actually gave Taylor the 12th round. smh Hopkins did wait too long to bring it to Taylor. Hell, he could have knocked Taylor out twice and he's not a knockout artist. :lol:

Taylor clearly won a close fight and he wasnt hurt in the late rounds like some people say otherwise Hopkins would have knocked him out. How can you pick Hopkins in a rematch? If Hopkins didnt win this fight how is he gonna win the rematch? Hopkins is getting older by the minute and Taylor is getting better by the minute so Taylor wins even easier in the rematch

Monetary said:

Taylor clearly won a very close fight . Hopkins couldnt overcome the lead that Taylor built up in the early rounds because he waited to long to start fighting. How can you pick Hopkins to win the rematch ? If Hopkins couldnt win this fight how is he gonna win the rematch? Hopkins is getting older day by day and Taylor is getting better day by day ,so Taylor will beat Hopkins even easier in the rematch.

oceolo said:
Taylor clearly won a close fight and he wasnt hurt in the late rounds like some people say otherwise Hopkins would have knocked him out. How can you pick Hopkins in a rematch? If Hopkins didnt win this fight how is he gonna win the rematch? Hopkins is getting older by the minute and Taylor is getting better by the minute so Taylor wins even easier in the rematch

While I didn't see the fight, I think what you said was key...Hopkins is getting older by the minute. I said before that if Hopkins loses, his age...not Jermaine Taylor's skill would be the primary factor. That is not to take anything away from Jermaine, because I think he is a fantastic fighter, who will also rule the middleweight division for some time. However, he definately had the blessing of coming along at the perfect time. I don't think he would have beaten Bernard Hopkins of old (not even Bernard Hopkins 2-3 years ago). He beat a Bernard Hopkins which went from throwing 75 punches a round to only throwing 25-20 punches around. He beat a Bernard Hopkins who had gone from "outthinking, outwilling & outskilling" his opponents to just "outthinking & outwilling" his opponents. Either way, Jermaine Taylor did win...and again....I congradulate him. Consider this fight, the new generation's Pernell Whitaker-Oscar De La Hoya!

hmmm....interesting take on the fight

July 17, 2005 - On Saturday Night, Jermain Taylor ended the long reign of Bernard Hopkins. Immediately after the decision was announced, Jim Lamply announced that “You have a brand new star in boxing!” Taylor is definitely a media star thanks to the exposure going along with being promoted by the guy who used to run HBO Boxing. At the end of the night, the fight provided more confusion than answers. From the beginning of the fight it was evident that Taylor was not going to be able to use his jab and usual offense to control the fight. Hopkins fought very intelligently to take away Taylor’s jab and force Taylor to try to fight a different fight than he is used to. Taylor left himself open to counterpunches all night and did not cut off the ring to be effective with his natural athletic ability over Hopkins. Hopkins is not a very big puncher, yet he had Taylor hurt several times. And at the end of the night, Jermain didn’t look or act like he was the winner.

http://www.boxingtalk.net

I definately need to see this fight, one of my co-workers was suppose to tape it for me, so I might have a more informed opinion tomorrow night!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back